JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
U.S. SENATE TO VOTE ON YOUR GUN RIGHTS WITHIN 24 HOURS
CALL AND E-MAIL YOUR SENATORS NOW
TO VOTE FOR THUNE-VITTER AMENDMENT

The U.S. Senate will vote at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow -- Wednesday, July 22 -- on an amendment to protect your right to self-defense. The anti-gunners are now doing everything that they can to defeat this amendment and the vote by your Senators is likely to determine the outcome. So it is critical for you to call and e-mail your Senators now and urge them to support and vote for the Thune-Vitter Amendment.

The Senate is now considering an amendment by Senators John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) that will provide interstate recognition of Right-to-Carry licenses and permits. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and his "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" -- and other anti-gun leaders and organizations -- are running ads and spreading lies to scare your Senators into opposing this important self-defense reciprocity reform.

It is crucial for you to contact your Senators today -- now -- and urge them to support and vote for the Thune-Vitter Self-Defense Amendment. Using the contact information provided below, please call both their D.C. number and a state office locally AND send an e-mail message (and a fax if possible) to your Senators:

SENATOR JEFF MERKLEY
(202) 224-3753 (D.C.)
(202) 228-3997 (D.C. Fax)
(503) 326-3386 (Portland)
(541) 465-6750 (Eugene)
(541) 318-1298 (Bend)
(541) 608-9102 (Medford)
(541) 278-1129 (Pendleton)
(503) 362-8102 (Salem)
Email: http://merkley.senate.gov/contact/

SENATOR RON WYDEN
(202) 224-5244 (D.C.)
(202) 228-2717 (D.C. Fax)
(503) 326-7525 (Portland)
(541) 431-0229 (Eugene)
(541) 962-7691 (La Grande)
(541) 858-5122 (Medford)
(541) 330-9142 (Bend)
(541) 589-4555 (Salem)
Email: http://wyden.senate.gov/contact/

Act today to protect your Second Amendment rights tomorrow.

NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION INSTITUTE FOR LEGISLATIVE ACTION

For more information on the Thune-Vitter amendment, visit: www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5063

I just saw a story on CNN regarding the bill and even Harry Reid was promoting it and saying he was going to vote for it. What happened to Schumer and Feinstein's claims that their party and the public where strongly behind them in opposition to this bill?

I would like to see what it takes to get a concealed carry permit in the other states.....not enough info in the NRA alert to make an informed decision.

Why does it say here: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-845 that it is being heard on Thursday?

Also, it has 24 sponsors! That is nearly 1/4 of the senate, so we might see this one pass.

The problem is, the bill in which they are attaching this, is the Defense bill. Obama already said he is going to veto this bill if it has any funding for the F22.
There will be no funding for the F22 in the spending bill.

Ya, I saw the news after I posted that, I'd only seen Obama saying he wouldn't sign the current bill (at the time) b/c of F22 funding.

I would like to see what it takes to get a concealed carry permit in the other states.....not enough info in the NRA alert to make an informed decision.

A lot of other states allow non resident permits (Florida and Utah being the most popular). this bill will allow you to use your permit from any state in any other state that has a concealed weapon permit also. It will be similar to how your drivers license in any state is good in the other states. there will only be two states where you cannot carry concealed Wisconsin and Illinois (double check the states, i am not 100% sure of that)

the nice thing about this bill is California and New Nork who are very strict about giving permits out will have to honor any other states permit. you will still have to follow there laws, again like a drivers license, but you still can conceal there where the average person cannot right now.

This is a no loose deal for me, if it passes we get reciprocity, if it doesn't I get to say I told you so to Playboypenguin. :s0155:

Too bad the company I work for makes the Titanium wing and tail mounts for the F22 :(

In all the coverage I've seen on this bill, the one thing that's not being mentioned by both proponents and opponents is that there is already reciprocity among many of the states. I have a CCL in Georgia (I maintain a residence there) and it is recognized in 23 other states. I visit Indiana often and that state recognizes every other states permit.

As far as I have read, this bill doesn't do much that isn't already being done except make it easier for me to travel from Georgia to Oregon to wherever without having to make sure the state I'm in recognizes my Oregon or Georgia concealed carry permit.

The only states that don't issue permits are California and Illinois and this bill wouldn't change that, as far as I know. So can an opponent please explain to me the problem with this bill?

The only states that don't issue permits are California and Illinois and this bill wouldn't change that, as far as I know. So can an opponent please explain to me the problem with this bill?

California does have carry permits. They are just not shall issue, so there are virtually no permits in the state. With this amendment California will have to recognize all other conceal permits. It might even force them to a shall issue stance as there is no reason not to now.

the only states according to the map here: http://www.moccw.org/map.html that do not allow concealed carry are Wisconsin and Illinois. there are 9 states with may issue laws. IA, NY, MA, RI, NJ, DE, MD, HI, CA. these states would be forced to recognize permits from other states. just like your drivers license. WI, and IL would not have to recognize any permits as they do not issue any permits, they are exempt.

this is a great law and everyone should be doing everything they can to help it pass. it could very well be the path to nationwide carry.

Well it is good news that it came that close to passing. Maybe if they give it another 37 runs through the senate it will pass like every other thing that we didn't want to pass but did after they kept re-voting on it. It didn't pass which is super lame I agree, but it did come very close which is a positive.

All is not lost. The reporter on the video, <broken link removed> said the authors of the bill plan to squeeze it into an upcoming defense appropriations bill. I'm not so sure I like the Feds making rules over states rights but would like to CC across any state line.

This is a no loose deal for me, if it passes we get reciprocity, if it doesn't I get to say I told you so to Playboypenguin. :s0155:

Too bad the company I work for makes the Titanium wing and tail mounts for the F22 :(

Be careful... The NRA is touting this as a success-

<broken link removed>

A Bipartisan majority did indeed vote for it. :) Thanks were even given to my man Jim Webb. :s0155:

This is a little info for people that may go to Wisconsin because I do to deer hunt, it is true that they do not allow concealed weapons but they do allow open carry. The only funny thing to that is you cannot open carry in a car. Just a little info.

Scott

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top