JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Offered is a low numbered Springfield '03, manufactured in 1909 and first issued to MCRD San Diego. This is a suitable trophy for a Marine. Included is a replica leather sling. Rifle is still in the cosmoline, as received from CMP. $400.

None that I have noticed. I looked up documentation on the rifle ten years ago and got the manufacture date and the first issue information on it, but I don't know if it was a drill rifle or if it was issued to a boot for his use during his enlistment. The last numbers of the serial number are stamped into the stock, but I don't know if they've been there for a hundred years or if it was restocked sometime in the last century. If you want to see the rifle, let me know. Thanks.

Early 03s produced by Springfield Armory below serial number 800,000 are not considered safe to shoot. The Rock Island serial number is below 286,500. These early receivers were not properly heat treated.
These early receivers were only single heat treated are considered brittle and not safe to shoot.

Early 03s produced by Springfield Armory below serial number 800,000 are not considered safe to shoot. The Rock Island serial number is below 286,500. These early receivers were not properly heat treated.
These early receivers were only single heat treated are considered brittle and not safe to shoot.

That is not completely accurate, here's a very good article based on fact.
Information On M1903 Receiver Failures

I believe that this rifle should be considered unsafe to shoot. While I have taked to several people who have fired them over the years, to my knowledge this particular piece has not been altered. I assumed that when I designated the rifle as a low numbered Springfield, any interested people would be aware of the caution against firing these. In any case, I'm grateful to ron for raising the issue. It is in the category of souvenier, and a very special one to a Marine.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top