JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it okay for me to mix brands and types of ammo in my 10/22?
By brands, I mean, well - brands. And by type I mean copper plated, lead, hollowpoint, round, etc.. I'd like to be able to load 9 rounds in my stock mags, in groups of three of a given flavor and shoot from a bench rest to figure out which ammo the gun likes. I guess my specific question is whether it's okay to use multiple brands/types in a single magazine.

Question 2:
Is it okay for me to use lead shot cartridges in my 10/22?
I have no real use for them, but it sounds like fun to buy a box and see what they do - but I don't want to find out the hard way that they're bad for the barrel.

to answer question #1.

The only difference you'll notice is a cycling difference. Semi auto or bolt?
You'll have a difference in drop since hollow points weigh less.
Sound: different charges, different power = different sound.

Thanks Dyjital. It's a semi-auto. I expect the noise and shot placement differences - just want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up. Sounds like I'll be fine in regard to Question 1.

Although, now that I've given the noise differences a little thought - I wonder if anyone has ever tried to compose or play a tune with different sounding ammo loads - something along the lines of a musical road... maybe that's how I'll try justifying a belt-fed full auto to my lovely wife someday :s0114:

#1 To truly test ammo you should start with a clean gun, fire several groups with one type of ammo. I usually shoot ten groups of five for accuracy. Then clean the barrel try the next brand. Each type being tested should start clean, this will also give you an idea which brands are going to foul your rifle faster. that is important, at least to me. Remember you are human and one three shot group of each leaves a lot to human error. even using the same ammo, it is verry difficult to keep all of ones shot groups the same size, or even close for that matter. Ten groups will give you a better reading on the gun, ammo and the shooter.
By the way in my personal experience a Ruger 10-22 will eat almost any 22lr and last long and shoot straight. Mine has been shooting for three generations in my family.

#2 Shooting shot shells through your Ruger should not harm it. Just remember that you need to run a brush through it when you are done with the shot shells as they tend to be pretty dirty. In case you were not aware, the shot shells will not function the slide, so you have to do it manually.
You chose well. Be safe and keep it clean. It will serve you well for a long time.
Dan

Thanks for the advice on testing ammo.
I didn't know that the shot cartridges wouldn't cycle, though I guess I would have figured it out quick enough. I'm glad they won't harm the barrel and glad I won't be surprised by them not cycling.

Ditto on trying lots of different .22LR in any gun for that cartridge. They each like something different.

As for shot cartridges, lots of fun, but don't expect much range. 10-15 feet is probably more than maximum ("pattern" them on a piece of cardboard to see the limits).

Best fun to be had with .22 shot cartridges: go to a pond in the summer that has dragonflies. Hit 'em on the wing if you can. Another application: go to the desert where there's a good population of big grasshoppers. Flush 'em like pheasants. Yell "PULL!" Lotsa luck is required.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top