JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in a big bind. Hunting season is coming and I've been told the labor to install a new scope of my Parker Hale 30-06 is more than the value of the rifle.

It needs the custom drilled (Wrong) holes filled and re-tapped to
Mount the scope correctly.

The rifle has sentimental value and I don't have the cash to pay someone to do this right now.

What I do have is a laptop that's pretty new and ideal for someone or their wife or kid.

If you have some time to do this and this sounds like something you can do please message me for details.

Thanks,
Jack

It is possible to open those holes up to say 8-32 or so. Filling holes in a receiver is a tricky thing as you need to tig them up, smooth them out and redrill and tap. The problem is the welding part. I dont like to do it in the reciever. Its easier to just screw plug them and move over.

How soon do you need it done?

John5335 got in touch with me and we're going to explore the option of replacing the weaver rail system with a picatinny rail system this weekend based on innitial assessment. (Without him having the chance to look at more than some bad iPhone photos of the setup)

I'm really hoping to have it funtional by deer season.

Wish us luck :)

It is possible to open those holes up to say 8-32 or so. Filling holes in a receiver is a tricky thing as you need to tig them up, smooth them out and redrill and tap. The problem is the welding part. I dont like to do it in the reciever. Its easier to just screw plug them and move over.

How soon do you need it done?

Plugging the holes and drilling new holes will work on the rear ring, but can cause the front ring to peel like a banana...

I like the "Pic. Rail" option better. Just start with a blank and fit it to the incorrect holes. Might be a little more time consuming but in the end far better than further weakening of the receiver in critical areas.

That's the plan Deadshot!

Where's a good place to snatch up some decent pic rail blanks near Vancouver?

Wouldn't put much hope in finding a blank in the local area. I'd just go online to Brownells and order one. Just decide how high you want the rail off the action and how long you want it. They have them either finished or "in the white" which you can apply whatever finish you desire.

Sgt, that's a great question that I'm not qualified to answer. I presume that it's not as easy as that or they'd have mentioned it, but I'll bring that up!

Good idea Deadshot2, I'll check brownells.

I presume that you cannot redrill and counter bore the weaver?

Sgt, that's a great question that I'm not qualified to answer. I presume that it's not as easy as that or they'd have mentioned it, but I'll bring that up!

Good idea Deadshot2, I'll check brownells.

If I absolutely had to save an old weaver mount I'd drill it out to the size of the counterbore, thread the hole, and then fill the hole with a bolt of the proper size, epoxying it in place. Cut flush on each side and then start over.

It's just about as much work as fitting a pic rail and the rail offers so many more benefits. A rail mount, properly fitted, bedded, and secured to the action actually can stop a lot of wear and tear on a scope.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top