JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The significance of the date:
Despite unfavorable weather forecasts, General Eisenhower made the decision to attack on June 6, 1944. At 0200 that morning one British and two American airborne divisions were dropped behind the beaches in order to secure routes of egress from the beaches for the seaborne forces. After an intensive air and naval bombardment, assault waves of troops began landing at 0630. More than 5,000 ships and 4,000 ship-to-shore craft were employed in the landings. British forces on the left flank and U.S. forces on the right had comparatively easy going, but U.S. forces in the center (Omaha Beach) met determined opposition. Nevertheless, by nightfall of the first day, large contingents of three British, one Canadian, and three American infantry divisions, plus three airborne divisions, had a firm foothold on Hitler's "fortress Europe."
Somehow, the "media" seems to have overlooked this anniversary, as I saw nothing of it on this AM's news programming.

Many brave Americans made the ultimate sacrifice on this day in '44. Many Canadians, and British too.
They should not be forgotten.
Please teach your children of their selfless actions, and the freedoms preserved because of them.

I only get basic cable, but there is absolutely nothing on today, June 6, regarding D-Day, WWII, or military ANYTHING! Cheeze, not even a viewing of "The Longest Day" on Fox 12! Maybe Andy Rooney will finally quit "60 Minutes" in disgust.........................elsullo :(

I want to mention a couple of old guys I worked with in the 1980s. They were just "good-old-boys", hometown buddies from Albany, Oregon who enlisted together to fight Hitler. I am sorry to say that I don't remember their outift, but they fought in every major battle all across Europe, after landing in Normandy on D-Day. They still were slightly aggrieved that in four years of service they never got a single day of leave!

They never bragged, or even brought up their service history. Lunchtime discussion usually was of current political events, and only sometimes veered into their experiences in WWII. I could never get them to talk about the Battle of the Bulge; they would not speak of it.

Their basic attitude about their military experience was a sort of bewilderd reverence---they were still comletely amazed that they had even survived all of the **** that they had been through. Naturally, they would never think of calling themselves heros. But I do.........................elsullo :s0155:

If its the same guys I'm thinking of, they were part of Co. E of the 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment assigned to the 101st Airborne Division... (Band of Brothers) I saw them in a newspaper article pinned to a wall in the mechanical room of a Kaiser Hospital a few months ago.

If its the same guys I'm thinking of, they were part of Co. E of the 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment assigned to the 101st Airborne Division... (Band of Brothers) I saw them in a newspaper article pinned to a wall in the mechanical room of a Kaiser Hospital a few months ago.

I read that article too, and no, it's not them. They are two OTHER heros from Albany, Oregon, which has its fair share of heros! Albany still maintains the largest Veteran's Day parade West of the Mississippi.........................elsullo :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top