JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Remembered as the piper of DDday Millins, Lord Lovat's personal piper, was the only piper accompanying the first wave.

[t]he use of bagpipes was restricted to rear areas by the time of the Second World War by the British Army. Lovat, nevertheless, ignored these orders and ordered Millin, then aged 21, to play. When Private Millin demurred, citing the regulations, he recalled later, Lord Lovat replied: "Ah, but that's the English War Office. You and I are both Scottish, and that doesn't apply."
Millin states that he later talked to captured German snipers who claimed they did not shoot at him because they thought he had gone mad.
Millin, [...], was the only man during the landing who wore a kilt – it was the same Cameron tartan kilt his father had worn in Flanders during World War I – and he was armed only with his pipes.
One tough guy. There is a bronze statue of him at Normandy.

The Story of Bill Millin, Lord Lovat's Mad Piper of Sword Beach

1686076300690.jpeg

1686076311401.jpeg

QNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfNLcWatHis1V_3CKt3MGAY.jpg

My Uncle Doc was with the OSS and had jumped into France 3 months before OP Overload, the ballz on that guy, he had to guide the pathfinders to light the landing zones for the gliders, RIP and a mighty salute to all of those who landed and fought to end the reign of Hitler.

D-Day-landings-1.jpg

My daughter and I rewatched The Longest Day last night and we were very disappointed to notice the actor playing Billy Millins was both old, probably 40-ish, and wearing pants. I think the movie should lose at least one of its academy awards.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews