JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm liking the idea of buying a truck cap.

Pros thus far:

Keeps everything dry, biggest factor for me thus far.
Will create a layer of security for anything stored inside bed.
Can be used as sleeping quarters.

Cons thus far:
Adds weight, lowers mileage.
Less aerodynamic? Mileage again.
Lose ability to haul taller items easily, without removing.
One entry and exit point for all stored/hauled items.
Expensive? Haven't gotten as far as seeing what they cost.

Whats your thoughts and opinions? Experienced owners input greatly valued.

1609763198215.jpeg

Have had one in the past and just as you said it does limit things at times. Mileage when I had one on was almost undetectable. The difference was so little it did not matter. To me it was worth it since I did not need the bare bed often. When I did I would of course just pop it off. They are easy to get made so light one person can easily put it on and off. So as long as you do not need to regularly put things in the bed that these would stop? By all means they are nice to have for all the +s you listed.

I've had several.

My current pickup came with an inexpensive metal cap. After a little while I took it off - about 8 years ago - and have not put it back on.

For me it depends on what you use the pickup for. I rarely use it just drive somewhere - actually, I drive it off the property at most once a month. I use it for hauling things I can't get into my daily driver (a compact crossover SUV) - last several things would not have fit under the cap. I sometimes use it to move split firewood from the log pile to my porch.

Years ago I had a compact pickup similar in size to the Toyota I have now. I bought a $650 shell cap top - a Brahma. I kept it on. I used that rig for hunting/camping/etc. and it was a daily driver only vehicle for a while. Stupidly I had some tools in the back and someone stole them by breaking the rear window.

I recommend that if you get a cap you get privacy window tinting with it.

Whether to get one just depends, to me, on how often you think you will need to take it off to haul something that won't fit vs. how much you want to haul in the bed every day that you want covered and how often you drive the rig.

I have had them on my pickups before, really nice to have for 99% of the times you put stuff in the back, and easy enough to remove when you need to heap in a load of..........
My milage actually improved slightly, though it took several months to bear that out.
I have ran both Leer, and Gem-Top Caps on all my trucks with zero issues, and you can usually find them used or at the recycling yards for way less then new, you then have it painted to match and your good to go!

I've had one on my '06 Dodge Ram diesel for the last 11-12 years and really like it. Your list of pros and cons is pretty comprehensive, and in my experience I'm not sure there was any fuel economy difference. Since I rarely haul anything too tall to fit under the canopy, the pros definitely outweigh the cons for me living in wet western OR. I have several trailers I can use when I need to haul anything that won't fit under the canopy.
Canopies can get a little expensive. I was just about ready to order a new fiberglass Leer for my Dodge for about $2,300 when I found a used one for less than 1/3 that amount on Craigslist. Lucked out it was already the right color. If you keep your vehicles for the long haul, the value you get from use over the years even makes the cost of a new canopy not as bad over years of use.

I'm ordering one for my new truck. They aren't cheap at all, it's real easy to get close to $4k with options. Stay away from SnugTop, they had three chances to make a canopy and still couldn't get it right. All that with the obligatory eight week wait per unit, lol. If you go new , don't plan on seeing it for 8-10 weeks.

Be careful not to leave anything in the truck once you have it, most people get it so that they can keep some stuff in the back and thieves have learned that that a truck cap usually means "hey look at me, free stuff inside!". :D

Similar to how privacy screens for the cargo area of SUV works, if you put it on it means there's something there. Thieves will smash your window to do some "window shopping".

I've had them on a couple of trucks that were purchased over the years. The big con for me is that visibility is severely restricted out the back. My solution has been a tonneau cover. Easier to take off and store when hauling oversized items in the bed. Since I don't like them I haven't looked closely but they may also interfere with cameras depending on the make of your truck and style of cap.

Something else to consider might be a soft convertible Supertop or Bestop.

The hard shell fiberglass Snugtop canopies, I've owned were very heavy, requiring two players to wrestle them on/off my pickups. Even my current aluminum shell, though much lighter than glass, is also a PITA for two guys.

I recently spoke with a soft canopy owner (sorry, I've forgotten what brand it was). According to him, it took 15-20 minutes to install/adjust the first time by himself. Now it takes him "just a few minutes" to convert or remove/install it - also alone. And no water leaks so far.

It may not be as slick looking as a color matched fiberglass shell, but I'll certainly consider a soft top as a possible canopy solution on my next truck.

I'm ordering one for my new truck. They aren't cheap at all, it's real easy to get close to $4k with options. Stay away from SnugTop, they had three chances to make a canopy and still couldn't get it right. All that with the obligatory eight week wait per unit, lol. If you go new , don't plan on seeing it for 8-10 weeks.
Any more information on snug top? I was looking at one of theirs.

Something else to consider might be a soft convertible Supertop or Bestop.

The hard shell fiberglass Snugtop canopies, I've owned were very heavy, requiring two players to wrestle them on/off my pickups. Even my current aluminum shell, though much lighter than glass, is also a PITA for two guys.

I recently spoke with a soft canopy owner (sorry, I've forgotten what brand it was). According to him, it took 15-20 minutes to install/adjust the first time by himself. Now it takes him "just a few minutes" to convert or remove/install it - also alone. And no water leaks so far.

It may not be as slick looking as a color matched fiberglass shell, but I'll certainly consider a soft top as a possible canopy solution on my next truck.
Not entirely off the table. We had a hard cover on the Ranger and really liked it, up until I needed to haul anything taller than the bed. Then it sucked. It was very secure and tough as nails. Taking it in and off however was a PITA.

I like the idea of the cap because if anything were taller than the bed itself, it would still fit.

3FA33716-E2BD-4603-8B19-0ED411B4098E.jpeg AB16D13B-5F50-43A6-8049-0C57E5C16D39.jpeg

Not entirely off the table. We had a hard cover on the Ranger and really liked it, up until I needed to haul anything taller than the bed. Then it sucked. It was very secure and tough as nails. Taking it in and off however was a PITA.

I like the idea of the cap because if anything were taller than the bed itself, it would still fit.

View attachment 802124 View attachment 802125
"Can be used as sleeping quarters."

You mean coffin.

Any more information on snug top? I was looking at one of theirs.
They were recommended as the top of the line and their price reflects it. I purchased one and when it came to the dealer the factory had buffed through the paint, black in color, clear through to the fiberglass. It was removed, sent back for a repaint. Two months later they sent it back to me in worse condition, same flaws. The dealer was great and let me keep that one on the truck while waiting for the third canopy to be made and shipped. When it showed up at the dealer it was so bad they wouldn't allow it to be unloaded from the freight truck. This process was a little over seven months from start to finish, with me ending up with a refund.

They were recommended as the top of the line and their price reflects it. I purchased one and when it came to the dealer the factory had buffed through the paint, black in color, clear through to the fiberglass. It was removed, sent back for a repaint. Two months later they sent it back to me in worse condition, same flaws. The dealer was great and let me keep that one on the truck while waiting for the third canopy to be made and shipped. When it showed up at the dealer it was so bad they wouldn't allow it to be unloaded from the freight truck. This process was a little over seven months from start to finish, with me ending up with a refund.
Is this an isolated incident or is this a common problem?

Your "sleeping quarters" would be coffin-like.
I've slept in the bed of a truck before with a shell on it. It's better than a tent in my opinion. Of the ground. Better protection from elements. Not a camper trailer by any means, but I'd say it's an upgrade from a tent.

I've slept in the bed of a truck before with a shell on it. It's better than a tent in my opinion. Of the ground. Better protection from elements. Not a camper trailer by any means, but I'd say it's an upgrade from a tent.
Yea, most have. I responded to your post#12 which is not a shell.

Yea, most have. I responded to your post#12 which is not a shell.
Oh, ya, I never slept in that. No way Jose! Closest thing was using it as a rain shield shooting primer with it up. It opened on hydraulic arms to about 60 degrees. With the tailgate down, it made a great shooting platform. Definitely not a sleeper.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top