JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
991A452E-20C9-42D0-B607-2BDCE489CAAE.jpeg

This is why they are also called camper shells, people did sleep in them. My only disdain towards them is people who get the bright idea to take out the rear window then put on a rubber seal between shell and cab that will eventually crack and leak.

BUT: Adds traction cause now you have weight on the rear.

They are not cheap.

Actually, any kind of bed covering is going to be more aerodynamic than an open bed. Its a wash between which is more aerodynamic between the shell and a standard cover though.
Have not tried one but there's this:

I went ahead and got a folding tonneau cover instead of a canopy (which i declined when i purchased mhk y truck.)
1. I don't have a trailer to use when I want to haul tall stuff.
2. I don't have the space to put a canopy if I was to take it off the truck (main reason for declining it when i bought the truck)
3. I have a stupid short bed anyways, and didn't want to really limit my cargo capacity.

If all 3 of those reasons change, i might think about one, because it would be nice to have at times.

Have an ARE cap which I've used on two Chevy trucks since 2003. Seems to be well made and am happy with it. The side windows slide (parallel with the long axis of the truck) and have screens. Have used it a lot for camping and hauling items.

Only issue is I've never been able to get the rear window to seal enough to keep out dust. Does fine keeping out water, but driving on dusty roads leaves a coat of dust inside.

I saw a cap in a parking lot awhile back that used a "clam shell" style of closure for the rear cap window. Formed a much better seal than the more common "flat" window. Probably not describing this too well. Have not seen another and don't recall the brand. It's one I'd be interested in for a future truck.

I had one on my last rig and will never again have a pickup without one. That is as long as it's coupled with a bed slider. I used one called Cargo Glide and that thing was amazing. Allowed me to access things at the very front of the bed without having to climb up in there. Super convenient. Kept gear in there year-round without having to worry about the weather. Fortunately, never had anything stolen.

No impact on gas mileage. As for cost, I lucked out big time. I found them both on Craigslist. I think I paid $300 for the canopy - left Portland at 10pm to drive to Everett the night I found it on CL. I think I paid about $200 for the cargo slide.

20210105_214850.jpg

Last Edited:
I pd about $1600 for the shell on my old Ram...
20200825_144911.jpg

It's my second ARE cap, this time with no frills. After paying for a bunch of overpriced and ultimately unused options on a previous one, l decided to go bare bones.
I needed it to keep my gear dry on my weekly trips across OR (for work).

I like the looks of the truck better without it.
It limits bed utility, but an expandable load lock keeps smaller items in place (near the gate).
It's HEAVY: Minimum 2 person lift to remove/replace. STRONG people. When l get permanently moved I'll be rigging up a double-pully block and tackle lift so l don't have to rely on someone else to help me with it.
Mine is currently off, a remnant of my recent move and an indicator of a couple of the points already made: limited bed capacity (with large/tall items) and the difficulty of replacing it without assistance... I'll leave my overall laziness out of it.

It's a good investment, overall and the "downsides" are exactly what you'd expect them to be... cost, weight, utility.

Last Edited:
I'm ordering one for my new truck. They aren't cheap at all, it's real easy to get close to $4k with options. Stay away from SnugTop, they had three chances to make a canopy and still couldn't get it right. All that with the obligatory eight week wait per unit, lol. If you go new , don't plan on seeing it for 8-10 weeks.

Also shopping for a fiberglass top and not my first rodeo either however...

Was leaning toward (another) Leer until I found this

Review of construction, manufacturers and local installers left the immediate impression the Snugtops are heavier and a bit more $$

The "fine print" of all reflect window glass not covered and a few owner reports reflect theirs exploded

Had an experience many years ago with a removable sunroof that exploded (twice) due to an apparent misalignment of the mounting hardware

Had several folding (Lund) tonneau covers worked fine & didn't leak although would like to find an installer that hasn't alienated 50% of their customers & not too many choices up here in the NW corner

Bought an ARE cab high cap in 06 at same time I bought an 06 Cummins Ram.
Relatively expensive cap at the time. Came with a lifetime structural warranty.
Its currently back at the mothership having minor repairs completed.
Was in once prior. No charge for removal, ship, repair, ship back or reinstall.
I do have to buy parts/service for things I break and wear items (replaced rear window seal).
Recently updated to LED interior lighting. Good product with much appreciated support.
15+ years old and still looks/functions as new.

I use my truck as a truck. Heated the house with wood for 30 years. Hauled a lot of wood. Rehabbed multiple houses for resale. Constantly carry dogs and general stuff. I changed out screens to the heavier dog proof screen material. I recommend it whether you have dogs or not. Never regretted buying or using the capper. Easy enough to take off and store on a couple of saw horses when I carry oversize items. Two people can do it unless one or both are limp wristed Democrat Nancy boys....IMHO it significantly increases the utility of the truck for they guy who doesn't regularly carry oversize stuff...and most don't.

Last Edited:
I ended up ordering an A.R.E canopy on January 19th, hopefully get to take possession of it this month. No one stocks any canopies anymore and you are just told it'll be 8-10 weeks. Oh well, at least the dogs will be able to go with me again as they aren't allowed on the leather, lol.

I ordered it with that in it as well as more lighting and auto locks. The fold down front window is a given as that's the only way to clean the back truck window. Can't wait to take the family with our trailer somewhere and not wonder what the dogs have destroyed in the trailer on the way, lol. I'm surprised the dogs are still alive, last time I think they'd be gone if I had only remembered a shovel, lol. Not really, I love my dogs but get a little frustrated at times.

I got the high cost radius style rear window....Don't drive around with the rear window open....sooner or later it will bounce on bumps and shatter....$700-$800 replacement cost.....we won't discuss how I know that......

Pulled the trigger on a Leer 100R yesterday

A week or so of research resulted in Leer or Snugtop

Others either not available locally or limited available detail

Went with the Leer based on sliding -v- pop out, flat recessed windows & dual latches on the back with a bed rug

Prior experience with the auto glass guys advised flat glass easy to produce.. others hard to find -or- require special order and + $$

An hour or so of Q&A with Scott @ Bremerton Canopy World good experience

Removable -v- fold down front window

Not a deal breaker since the power rear truck window a single -v- double slider anyway

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top