JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would advise to stay away from both Over/Under's and Semi Autos to start with, and focus on getting her started with a good quality pump action!
The Semi-autos will cost much more, and will NOT reduce recoil, much if at all ( A good recoil pad such as the Remington Soft-Cell ) would be far better, and you don't want the complications a semi brings to the game! A double is going to cost you for a half way decent gun that fits, and to make it fit, it's going to cost even more! Then there are all the upgrades that will follow, that gets you into even more expense you don't need starting out!
Why don't semi's reduce felt recoil? That seems to be the opposite of my experience.

Like I said, if I shoot my 12ga pump action it feels like it has more recoil than my 12ga semi auto.

This shouldn't come as a surprise, it's the same reason semi-auto rifles feel like they have less recoil than bolt action rifles. Some of the recoil energy is spent/spread out in cycling process compared to the pump/bolt, where it is not.

I would advise to stay away from both Over/Under's and Semi Autos to start with, and focus on getting her started with a good quality pump action!
The Semi-autos will cost much more, and will NOT reduce recoil, much if at all ( A good recoil pad such as the Remington Soft-Cell ) would be far better, and you don't want the complications a semi brings to the game! A double is going to cost you for a half way decent gun that fits, and to make it fit, it's going to cost even more! Then there are all the upgrades that will follow, that gets you into even more expense you don't need starting out!
One thing about over/under shotguns is they are typically light, shorter and better balanced than pumps and auto since it lacks the action. They are more reliable than autos and can't be short stroked like a pump. All that might come in handy for a smaller statured female shooter. There are quite a few affordable one these days, too.

https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/shotguns/affordable-double-barrel-shotgun-options