JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daughter is going to join her school's trap team and I'm looking into a new shotgun for her. She is 12 years old, 5'3" and about 110lb. She shoots my ARs, but doesn't have much experience with anything bigger.

I was thinking a 20ga semi-auto might be best for reduced recoil, but am open to other ideas. I am not a shotgun guy at all, so I can't really even tell the difference between a trap gun or hunting gun.

It's her first year and she is still growing, so I'm not going to drop $2k or get it fitted to her. I was thinking about starting at entry level, but have always been willing to pay a little more for quality if it is worth it. I think $500-600 is doable, cheaper is always nice to have more money for ammo, and if it is a big step up I could probably swing a few hundred more. What options can you guys suggest?

A decent trap gun is going to cost a little north of a thousand dollars, many of the sub 1000 dollar guns have a reputation of a short life. I have heard more than one story of tri stars not lasting a season with a junior shooter. Used trap guns are available start at the local trap club, I wouldn't be surprised if someone there has a gun for sale.
A well fit 12 ga trap gun will be soft shooting with the proper loads, so don't rule 12's until she has tried them. Also if you invest there are plenty of stock option that are adjustable and she could possibly grow with.
I would highly recommend going and hanging out with the old guys that shoot on Thursday evenings ( http://newberggunclub.org/calendar.html ) , they will be the most useful tool you have.
Also Mid Valley clays (https://midvalleyclays.com/shotguns/ ) rents shotguns so that is another option to go and try some guns and see how they fit.

Also:
trapshooters.com
shootpita.com

There's a 12 gauge over/ under FRANCHI Shotgun in a pawn shop down your way for sale.
I had one and it was a decent gun for the price.
Listed on Armslist

$ 400

12902087_02_churchill_12_ga_semi_auto_640.jpg
12902087_03_churchill_12_ga_semi_auto_640.jpg

Franchi decided to slap their name on a Turkish shotgun before it was cool. Has a 24" "Paradox" barrel.

Capital Pawn Albany, 2736 Pacific Blvd SE suite b, Albany, OR 97322
(541)928/6668

Private party transfers are $10 for background check and $30 per firearm transferred.

Buyer to pay all shipping and transfer fees. Insurance is included within shipping price. Firearms only shipped to FFL dealer. Buyer to provide seller with the FFL license of where the gun is to be shipped within 3 business days of the completion of the sale.

As a high school trap coach, I recommend having her start and stick with a 12 gauge. You get a ton more pellets with a 12 gauge, which means more broken targets for her. Broken targets are what keep a young shooter in the sport. A 20 gauge will be useful for about 1 season. After that, she'd be ready for a 12 gauge anyway. That and 12 gauge ammo is actually affordable. Find an old Remington 870 or Winchester with a long barrel. Gives her a longer sight picture. Also, when you get a shotgun, find one with a second bead halfway down the barrel. Either that or have one installed. It really helps them keep the barrel straight with their eye. When you find a gun, get a Modified choke along with it. That will help too. A Full choke trains them how to hit a target better, but broken clays will keep them practicing longer. Trapshooting is so much different than shooting a rifle or handgun. You point in trap and aim in the others. And the tips to bring her to the gun range to talk to the old fellas that shoot there every day is where you'll end up find the best advice. And the best stories!

As a high school trap coach, I recommend having her start and stick with a 12 gauge. You get a ton more pellets with a 12 gauge, which means more broken targets for her. Broken targets are what keep a young shooter in the sport. A 20 gauge will be useful for about 1 season. After that, she'd be ready for a 12 gauge anyway. That and 12 gauge ammo is actually affordable. Find an old Remington 870 or Winchester with a long barrel. Gives her a longer sight picture. Also, when you get a shotgun, find one with a second bead halfway down the barrel. Either that or have one installed. It really helps them keep the barrel straight with their eye. When you find a gun, get a Modified choke along with it. That will help too. A Full choke trains them how to hit a target better, but broken clays will keep them practicing longer. Trapshooting is so much different than shooting a rifle or handgun. You point in trap and aim in the others. And the tips to bring her to the gun range to talk to the old fellas that shoot there every day is where you'll end up find the best advice. And the best stories!
My favorite clay gun is a 1951 sears special. It just happens that they contracted out that year and the next with High Standard and it is an amazing pump 12ga.

If this coach says pump and 870 then that would be my go to - if she gets way into the sport and you are wanting to drop a lot of money for a great shotgun then you can always throw a different barrel on the 870 and use it for home defense or whatever you desire and I'm not sure you can wear a good 870 out.

Just my 2¢ for what it's worth

To echo the above, last year one of the team members (a small female freshman tho that doesn't matter) shot my Remington 31 for the season. This is the same exact gun that the first 200 straight was broke in Minnesota. Got it from my grandpa. She learned well from it and had since picked up her own 12 gauge and shoots it very well. This year, there is a very slight girl on the team. She has been shooting my 870 wingmaster from the late 60's. Again she has learned how to shoot it well and will get a 12 gauge of her own before spring season I'm sure. These guns have had so many thousands of rounds shot through them in trap and bird hunting, and they still shoot flawlessly. Shotguns last forever if you aren't shooting slugs through them. A 20 gauge is cool and all. I'd like to have one for the heck of it. But a 12 gauge is really the only answer. Get a Remington or Winchester. I'm partial to the Remi's. Older models are great. If you find a cheap 12 gauge with plastic stocks, get it if that's what gets her hooked in the sport. She'll probably get another gun in a year or two as she gets older.

Remington 870 T/C is the gun you want, light, fast swinging, all the goodies everyone else has to add, and affordable, IF you can find a used one!
View attachment 1300920
Very nice model. Get any 870 with a long barrel and removable choke and you'll be set. Have her shoot light loads. Use a Modified choke. 2 3/4 is plenty. Unless you plan to teach her how to hunt for geese with the same gun, then go 3" if you want. You really can't go wrong with a Remington 870 or Winchester 500. If you get it with a barrel that you can change the choke on, you've pretty much got a gun that will last multiple generations. Everyone should own one

12 guage. If she were my kid, the trap gun would be either an old model BT-99 or a(more than likely) a Remington 1100 TB trap. The old beretta 303 held its own as well. I am solely thinking a lighter front feeling gun and an auto will absorb some felt recoil. I wouldn't try to compromise with the 20ga......not as available, less pellets usually, payload is payload and payload is recoil. my $0.02!

Remington has never let me down and you need the semi for doubles lol

The beauty of 12ga is versatility. You can get light loads for a 12ga (especially if you reload) that approach 20ga recoil territory. I would see if you can talk to the coach(es), you have one posting here as well. I've shot on many squads over the years with junior shooters. Where I agree the longer barrel provides a better sight picture and swing, for a smaller shooter form is often sacrificed, especially on a pump or semiauto. They already have more in length because of the action/bolt so there is a lot of weight hanging out front that small shooters have to contend with. Having the appropriate length of pull on the stock will help with this as may a little shooter barrel to start. JMHO.

I'm not against pumps or semiautos as my 870 trap gun has outshot many guns 8x the price over the years. It's the singer not the song. You just want to avoid making it a chore for a new shooter. Good advice prior on mid-rib second beads. Another great group of folks is at Albany Gun Club (not ARPC...although they also have a junior trap program). Have always found these folks helpful. What most of us larger, older males will lose sight of is that we are not 5'2" females trying to hold a long, heavy stick out in front of us for 25 shots at a time. This is why my 5'2" (instructor) wife now shoots a ladies specific Syren.

Awesome that you have a young shooter interested in the sport. Let us know how she is doing with her journey!

I got suckered into trap shooting by my grandson a couple of years ago when he started shooting on the high school trap team (at age 11!). He was able to borrow a single barrel trap gun from the club each week. After a few weeks of watching I bought him an over/under based on a few observations.
The break action guns seem to be a lot more friendly for non-seasoned shooters to use. Shooters are only allowed one shell in their gun at a time and they have to manipulate the action for each shot. Every kid with a break action gun moved thru the stations easily, but ones with semis and pumps would struggle with the gun at times. Also a break action shows "safe" easier, just drop the barrel(s). The double has a bit of weight out front, but single barrels don't and either style is shorter than a pump or semi and will have less weight for smaller shooters to handle.
I ended up with a 12 gauge over/under that had a real soft buttpad on it and extended, ported choke tubes. It's a total pussycat to shoot. However, like @ColeInOregon mentioned, it's a TriStar and after two seasons we've experienced an issue. It broke a firing pin. No parts available and we're having one made...
@cosmos mariner I like the way you think about keeping it fun, not frustrating. Sounds like you're the right guy for coaching. Thanks for the tip on the mid bead.

Thanks for the kind words, Orygun. Keeping it fun, not frustrating is key with new shooters. No one is going to go out and break 20's to start with. Celebrate every improvement even it's just one bird better than the last. And like WillametteWill mentions, the shooters form and stamina is crucial to start with. It's very easy to feel rushed in the sport and to wear yourself out. Slow and steady wins the race. I've had students start the season breaking single digits and end the season in the high teens. The look of accomplishment on their faces as they go back and see their progress over the weeks is awesome. And if they can see that they are improving, they will continue to chase that 25. And when they finally break it, wow is their excitement contagious!

Some more thoughts I had on the subject while drinking my coffee this morning;
A quality shotgun that is well maintained will retain its value quite well. So should trap shooting turn out to not be your daughter's thing you should have no problem reselling it, but, if she falls in love with the sport you will have an investment. That investment then could be used to help upgrade to the Perazzi MX or Ljutic Space Gun (just kidding 😂, kind of) when she is ready.
My top choices would be:
If she will be shooting trap only a Browning BT99 Micro with LOP adjustable stock:

If she will be shooting doubles, skeet, sporting clays, and or games, I would look at either the Browning Citori's with a LOP adjustable stock:

Or the CZ all American Trap Combo:

Again look around for used guns and have her shoulder them so she can get a feel for what is comfortable for her to hold.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the advice and options. I reached out to her coach about the location. They will be shooting at the Newberg Rod and Gun club.

Turns out her coach also recommends we try starting with a 12 ga. Apparently they have one of the coaches who is a member at the club and has loaner guns for the kids to try out and use. It sounds like I should probably take advantage of that and see what fits her best before I spend the money on something that might not be best for her.

I will keep all of this advice in mind as we go through the season and see what works for her. The season doesn't start until the spring I think, but I am going to try to take her to one of their public shooting nights and let her get a feel for the range and ask questions.

My daughter is going to join her school's trap team and I'm looking into a new shotgun for her. She is 12 years old, 5'3" and about 110lb. She shoots my ARs, but doesn't have much experience with anything bigger.

I was thinking a 20ga semi-auto might be best for reduced recoil, but am open to other ideas. I am not a shotgun guy at all, so I can't really even tell the difference between a trap gun or hunting gun.

It's her first year and she is still growing, so I'm not going to drop $2k or get it fitted to her. I was thinking about starting at entry level, but have always been willing to pay a little more for quality if it is worth it. I think $500-600 is doable, cheaper is always nice to have more money for ammo, and if it is a big step up I could probably swing a few hundred more. What options can you guys suggest?
You already have the right idea. 20 ga semi auto will be the best choice for her with regard to recoil and keeping the experience, as a result, enjoyable.

OP, do not short-change her on the fit of the gun. It will only lead to frustration. Any of the guns mentioned here, and many many others, will function fine for many rounds, but the one that fits her is the one to get. Her coach should be able to assess the fit by watching her hold it.
i started shooting trap with a Winchester Model 12. After a few rounds I got to where I was in the mid-teens regularly. Then the more I shot it the worse I got, down to where 8-10 was typical. Bought a Verona LX501 from Keith's. Just by dumb luck i got a gun that fit me. Immediately moved up to the high teens and then to the low twenties. Now I'm seldom under 23 (16 yards), and all because the gun fits. I have no doubt that with the Winchester I would never have gotten out of the teens. it was a fine gun, it just didn't fit me.
I agree with most here, go directly to 12 gauge. Winchester makes some light target loads that are perfect for starting out.

OP, do not short-change her on the fit of the gun. It will only lead to frustration. Any of the guns mentioned here, and many many others, will function fine for many rounds, but the one that fits her is the one to get. Her coach should be able to assess the fit by watching her hold it.
i started shooting trap with a Winchester Model 12. After a few rounds I got to where I was in the mid-teens regularly. Then the more I shot it the worse I got, down to where 8-10 was typical. Bought a Verona LX501 from Keith's. Just by dumb luck i got a gun that fit me. Immediately moved up to the high teens and then to the low twenties. Now I'm seldom under 23 (16 yards), and all because the gun fits. I have no doubt that with the Winchester I would never have gotten out of the teens. it was a fine gun, it just didn't fit me.
I agree with most here, go directly to 12 gauge. Winchester makes some light target loads that are perfect for starting out.
This ^^^
Proper gun fitment to the shooter is not everything, but it's dang close.

I would advise to stay away from both Over/Under's and Semi Autos to start with, and focus on getting her started with a good quality pump action!
The Semi-autos will cost much more, and will NOT reduce recoil, much if at all ( A good recoil pad such as the Remington Soft-Cell ) would be far better, and you don't want the complications a semi brings to the game! A double is going to cost you for a half way decent gun that fits, and to make it fit, it's going to cost even more! Then there are all the upgrades that will follow, that gets you into even more expense you don't need starting out!