JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This will have to happen in the future. My son lives in NC and I'd like to give most of my guns. How do I accomplish this?
Best way is have him find a Dealer (FFL Holder) in his state to handle it for him and you. Now you may not need to do this to stay legal as last I heard there is an exception for family gifts. The "risk" is if you do just give the guns, and you bought them from a dealer. If they get stolen from the person you gave them too and then end up at a crime. Police are going to eventually show up at your door asking how your gun ended up there. So you may be fine saying you gave them to the son. If you actually transfer them through an FFL then they will be papered to the Son instead. As always I would NEVER take ANY advice found on ANY forum as fact though. Makes a great place to ask but it is up to you to confirm anything you are told is actually true. When it comes to guns this can be really sticky. People often give blatantly bad advice. They probably really thought what they were telling someone was legal. If you end up in front of a judge they will not care who "told you" what you did was fine. One great place to ask? Find a local gun dealer here and ask them how to do what you want to do.

Another option may be have him take a 2 week vacation and drive out. Give them to him, along with any of the other family stuff you don't want to ship (collectibles, jewelry, PM's etc etc).

He drives back, done.

No interstate commerce issues, as any guns would then be his.

No paper trail for son. Although it would be a good idea to give him a serialized "bill of sale" (?gift of sale), for his own personal records.

+is if any collectibles/PMs etc, no papertrail on them either. Of course I will absolutely do any line items as required by federal and state tax law...just wanted to clarify that for any one whom may be questioning my intent.

That's most likely what I'll be doing, in case they should need to go into assisted living etc. (My folks live in SC).

The family relationship does not exempt either of you when transferring a firearm to your son when he is a resident of another state. The transfer must go through an FFL in his state.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top