JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought my first gun doing a private transfer at an FFL, no sales tax; just paid the transfer. If I buy a used gun from private party and have it shipped to an FFL is it still no sales tax? The private party is out of wa state. Thanks, Jeff

In Washington.

Must a licensed dealer facilitating the transfer of a firearm between unlicensed
persons collect sales tax or use tax from the transferee?

No. An in-state firearms dealer is not required to collect sales tax or use tax when a
firearm is transferred between unlicensed parties.
Is the interstate transfer of a firearm from a licensed dealer subject to sales tax or
use tax?
Yes. An in-state firearms dealer involved in the transfer of a firearm from an out-of-
state licensed firearms dealer to an unlicensed person in this state (interstate transfers)
remains responsible for collecting use tax from the transferee.

The tax due is generally determined by the purchase price paid by the transferee to the
seller, which includes freight, delivery and insurance charges.
If this purchase price is not known, or if the transferee acquires the firearm in a manner other than an arms-length sales transaction, the firearms dealer must determine the taxable amount by using
the current fair market value of the firearm as provided by RCW 82.12.010.
Current fair market value may be determined by the insured value, a recent appraisal, or a reliable
resource, such as a respected publisher of gun values. Values are subject to audit
verification

Thanks that's what I thought... I really miss the good old days.

No taxes are required if the out of state purchase is from a private party. The only question would be if they use a ffl to ship. Need to ask your receiving ffl about that. I would think seller would be the one who received the payment.
Purchasing from an out of state ffl would require collecting the tax.

Last Edited:
No taxes are required if the out of state purchase is from a private party. The only question would be if they use a ffl to ship. Need to ask your receiving ffl about that. I would think seller would be the one who received the payment.
Purchasing from an out of state ffl would require collecting the tax.
No taxes are required if the out of state purchase is from a private party
You may be off a little on this as you are supposed to pay 'use' taxes on garage sales,so I would expect that WA wants taxes on ANY sale.Now they don't get them from online sales but I would bet there is a clause in there saying it should be paid

You may be off a little on this as you are supposed to pay 'use' taxes on garage sales,so I would expect that WA wants taxes on ANY sale.Now they don't get them from online sales but I would bet there is a clause in there saying it should be paid
Actually the no tax language is written into I 594 for private transfers including out of state. Private party sales are specifically exempt from the sales and use taxes under I 594.

That sounds scary. They were so happy to get a gun law passed,they forgot the taxes?:eek:
What discussion I remember seems they wanted to convince more people it was a reasonable law and make it less of a hassle for ffl dealers to encourage more dealers to participate. Of course prior to I 594 taxes were collected on all out of state transfers so there is a tiny consolation. I don't know if the private seller uses a ffl for shipping if that makes a difference as you wouldn't be buying from that dealer, the money would be paid to the private party.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top