JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Its been a couple years since I have posted or commented in this forum, and a while on the range. Living in Tigard, do you guys know of the cheapest AND/OR best places to train (bullets, membership, etc)? I started with the .22 rifle, but I would prefer to go with a handgun. My disability and mobility issues would work better with someone I can keep on my waste/leg while in a electric scooter. Also, I remember contacting a place in Eastern Oregon that could possibly make a custom guard/trigger and stock for the limited hand and finger functions. Any ideas? Thanks.

As you guys can see, its time to protect myself and my service dog. Although on SSDI, we still get around enough plus she likes the woods. Possibly we can go hunting. Right now, with the cost of everything its step by step. I cant afford much after looking at these prices now, compared to a decade ago

Handguns would definitely be the best option for protecting you and yours. Depending on your physical abilities, some handguns may work better than others- but this shouldn't discourage you from carrying whatever you want, it may just take more practice. Most shooting ranges have Range officers that are more than willing to help- though the quality of their knowledge varies greatly. Shooting in the woods is the cheapest route and 9mm ammo can be had pretty cheaply right now. I catch a lot of flak for this- but i think a magazine fed semi auto handgun is the best route for carry. Ample capacity in a caliber that's more than adequate. Depending on your griping ability, racking the slide and removing/replacing magazines may be difficult but not impossible. Also, having 15+1 rounds of 9mm would be a better choice than 6 rounds of 38 special and reloading those can be harder than replacing a mag...

Handguns would definitely be the best option for protecting you and yours. Depending on your physical abilities, some handguns may work better than others- but this shouldn't discourage you from carrying whatever you want, it may just take more practice. Most shooting ranges have Range officers that are more than willing to help- though the quality of their knowledge varies greatly. Shooting in the woods is the cheapest route and 9mm ammo can be had pretty cheaply right now. I catch a lot of flak for this- but i think a magazine fed semi auto handgun is the best route for carry. Ample capacity in a caliber that's more than adequate. Depending on your griping ability, racking the slide and removing/replacing magazines may be difficult but not impossible. Also, having 15+1 rounds of 9mm would be a better choice than 6 rounds of 38 special and reloading those can be harder than replacing a mag...

I like the idea of a 15 + 1, because it would be better than 6 rounds. The convenience of more shots and less racking and removing sounds great to me. Thanks for the heads up, I definitely have that written down.

Have you spoken with anybody from Tri-Counties Gun club in Tualatin? My pal, also an electric get-about user and I go there because all the ranges are fully ramped accessible - to the firing points, anyhow.

Have you spoken with anybody from Tri-Counties Gun club in Tualatin? My pal, also an electric get-about user and I go there because all the ranges are fully ramped accessible - to the firing points, anyhow.

I will check them out. Just looked up their page and new membership opens in October

Can your mobility scooter run on gravel?

I ask as that may limit your locations.

A couple in my neighborhood look like they should stick to indoors, but one flies by and you could almost pull off some dirt track riding on it.
I swear it can go over 30 and up/down curbs.

Can your mobility scooter run on gravel?

I ask as that may limit your locations.

A couple in my neighborhood look like they should stick to indoors, but one flies by and you could almost pull off some dirt track riding on it.
I swear it can go over 30 and up/down curbs.

I can do a bit of gravel, but probably not too much over time. Do you know of some places?

I like the idea of a 15 + 1, because it would be better than 6 rounds. The convenience of more shots and less racking and removing sounds great to me. Thanks for the heads up, I definitely have that written down.

Modern ergonomics would help you significantly. Also, god forbid you have a malfunction or need to reload, magazines are easier than trying to line up 5 or six small circles in 5 or 6 small holes- even with practice.
Good luck in your journey. I respect you immensely for taking responsibility for you and your helper.

I can't speak for them, but Threat Dynamics is probably worth a call.

Out to Browns Camp area - the Tillamook Forest. Typically some gravel / dirt but the shooting areas are just off the gravel "logging" roads. This is a place to get some trigger time. (be mindful of other issues this time of year - ie fire danger etc.) About 1 hr from Tigard.
Couple of threads here on NWFA

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads