JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I both would like to get some time on range with handgun training - home defense, street defense, etc. Mainly we'd like to ingrain good habits in shooting. We have both taken our CHL classes for OR and UT. Just waiting for them in the mail, now.

What facilities or who would you suggest for handgun training?

Thanks!

I'd recommend "Threat Dynamics" in Tulatin, Ore, it's only about 45 minutes from Salem.

I've taught there in the past with some of them and it's top notch training..

I can second Jacobe group from my dated experience with their classroom presentation on legal issues. I did not have occasion to do any of their live fire classes.

Also in Salem I can recommend Tri-Tac Shooting Solutions from the practical experience of my 17yr old son who took their Handgun Basic 1 & 1.5 classes. I found both to be solid in fundamentals and he did too even though he'd been shooting since he was 10 and these were his first formal shooting classes. I took their Home Defense class, albeit with my Rem 12ga shotgun, where the first part of the class involved empty gun solo interior movement followed by live fire in a simulated interior environment. I also took their Defensive Handgun class but only because I'd changed from 4 o'clock to appendix carry and wanted some additional input as well as the ability to live fire that which few ranges, if any, will allow. I found all of those classes to present solid foundational information and are safe in the live fire segments. Their classes are efficient on time and economical but, in other than the Handgun 1 class, rely on the student to be safe and quite familiar with their firearm.

I can also highly recommend the classes at Clackamas Public Safety Training Center. For 10yrs I was the Senior Firearms Instructor there. I lengthened and added to the Defensive Handgun class curriculum and got approval for students who successfully completed it to be able to use the LE training deck to shoot from the holster. I created the qual test to bypass the Basic Handgun classes to take the Defensive Handgun class, as well as the curriculums for the Accelerated Basic Handgun, Advanced Defensive Handgun, Interior Movement, and the Defensive Tandems classes. This last class addressed operating w/a partner, armed or not, in a public environment.

When I retired a highly skilled and talented student of mine, Gabe White, assumed my Senior Instructor duties. He has a national reputation for his competitive and defensive firearms skills, and his ability to impart them. In PSTC classes is assisted by his former students. You'll have to call or visit PSTC to find out about their training calendar but I believe the classes I cited above are still offered.

I'd recommend "Threat Dynamics" in Tulatin, Ore, it's only about 45 minutes from Salem.

I've taught there in the past with some of them and it's top notch training..

I took my concealed carry class with them a year ago, great facility and awesome trainers.

Also in Salem I can recommend Tri-Tac Shooting Solutions from the practical experience of my 17yr old son who took their Handgun Basic 1 & 1.5 classes. I found both to be solid in fundamentals and he did too even though he'd been shooting since he was 10 and these were his first formal shooting classes. I took their Home Defense class, albeit with my Rem 12ga shotgun, where the first part of the class involved empty gun solo interior movement followed by live fire in a simulated interior environment. I also took their Defensive Handgun class but only because I'd changed from 4 o'clock to appendix carry and wanted some additional input as well as the ability to live fire that which few ranges, if any, will allow. I found all of those classes to present solid foundational information and are safe in the live fire segments. Their classes are efficient on time and economical but, in other than the Handgun 1 class, rely on the student to be safe and quite familiar with their firearm.

So much of a great response it's hard to decide! I've been to TriTac - but that was a while ago before I knew I was going to get my CHL. Now that I've got it, I need to start learning proper skills. I'll definitely give TriTac ago. Thank you!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top