JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got three Hi Powers, one a surplus I had reworked; one a Practical and the other a Mk III Standard.
I want a S&W 1911 (or maybe a Sig).
I'm willing to trade one of the BHPs for a Smith.
Do I have rocks in my head?
All the HPs are in great shape...90% at least. (The rework is not going to be for sale.)
I'm figuring the Practical is worth about between $1100 and $1200...and the Standard about the same based on the completed sales on Gunbroker.
Are there any S&W 1911s (the E?) worth that kind of money, figuring similar condition? Which Sig model (too many for me to keep track of....) should I look for.
(I'm kind of limiting myself to these two manufacturers as I have more Smiths and Sigs than anything else. (I "collect" Smiths.))

I'm NOT trying to slip a "for sale" message here....I am serious about getting another 1911 (I have a Taurus and want to seriously upgrade) and I don't have the cash for one....trading seems like a good idea. Or not.

Wadda ya think?

I saw a refinished BHP with a stock at the Oregon Arms Collector Show for about $1200... if only I wasn't broke.
I think you could trade one of those pistols for a 1911, if you can find the right trader.
It's more likely that you could sell the BHP and buy a 1911 at a gun shop or privately.

I've got three Hi Powers, one a surplus I had reworked; one a Practical and the other a Mk III Standard.
I want a S&W 1911 (or maybe a Sig).
I'm willing to trade one of the BHPs for a Smith.
Do I have rocks in my head?
All the HPs are in great shape...90% at least. (The rework is not going to be for sale.)
I'm figuring the Practical is worth about between $1100 and $1200...and the Standard about the same based on the completed sales on Gunbroker.
Are there any S&W 1911s (the E?) worth that kind of money, figuring similar condition? Which Sig model (too many for me to keep track of....) should I look for.
(I'm kind of limiting myself to these two manufacturers as I have more Smiths and Sigs than anything else. (I "collect" Smiths.))

I'm NOT trying to slip a "for sale" message here....I am serious about getting another 1911 (I have a Taurus and want to seriously upgrade) and I don't have the cash for one....trading seems like a good idea. Or not.

Wadda ya think?

I would sell some other stuff and keep the hi powers. Belgium hi powers can't be beat .there are a lot of 1911s in the world. Sig makes some very nice ones. ive seen a few sigs on here for sale . they go fast

I have a pro series Smith 5" 1911 that is like new and scary accurate. I traded a NIB 22 year old BHP off shortly before they announced that they would no longer be made:(.

Just my opinion but.....

If I wanted a .45 cal SIG.....it would be a P220.
If I wanted a 1911 style of pistol.....there are plenty of choices out there.
If I wanted a BHP.....well, you know that they are out of production so.....

So.....what to do? :eek:

Thankfully, I have all three of the choices already. IF, I had to get rid of one. The first to go would be my Sig 220. But, that's ME.

My son loves his Sig 220 and uses it as a CCW. I've offered to give him a smaller/lighter 9mm but, he would rather stick with his Sig.

Aloha, Mark

I'd keep the Hi-Powers.They just aren't making any more

I find it interesting that with all the companies cloning 1911s, no one in America is making HPs. It's a truly great, classic design that is quite capable of holding its own against modern designs.