JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the advantage to buying a rifle kit and then a "stripped" lower receiver and building it? Also is the stripped lower removed from another rifle? Is it like building a Poylmer 80 "Glock 19" that you are not required to register or have a serial number?
Thanks. Sorry for the dumb question...

What is the advantage to buying a rifle kit and then a "stripped" lower receiver and building it? Also is the stripped lower removed from another rifle? Is it like building a Poylmer 80 "Glock 19" that you are not required to register or have a serial number?
Thanks. Sorry for the dumb question...

No advantage except for the fun of assembling it. Personally, if I'm building, I'd rather pick each part myself rather than the kit which there are parts I wouldn't use.

No, the stripped lowers are brand new.

The stripped lower is a firearm that is a serialized part and requires a 4473. There are, however 80% lowers that require additional machining.

For experienced shooters the build process allows separate choices of trigger, controls, aesthetics, etc. Also in places like Washington an AR15 lower is not slimed with the "semi automatic assault rifle" nonsense that a fully assembled AR would be.

Stripped lowers are serialized and you still need a background check to get them or sell them. An 80% ar lower is not serialized, no background check is needed as it's a piece of metal. You can get a jig and kit to complete the lower and turn it into a functional lower. The advantage to doing a STRIPPED lower is you can customize everything you want without buying a lower, removing parts you don't want but paid for. A stripped lower is not removed from a rifle but built as a lower and not assembled into a complete lower. Also, guns are not registered. Hope this helps!

Thanks guys...and plus you could probably build an "AR-13" that wouldn't be as dangerous as an AR-15...

But seriously, it seems like building one, once I know more would be fun!

If you're all thumbs, it becomes a funny story to tell your grand kids.
Like the time the rifle would only shoot every other round, because the hammer spring was in backwards. Face bigsmyl.gif

Stripped lower- Ready to assemble. Has serial number and is shipped to an FFL. Will need to have background check done.
1570550576824.png

80% lower- Need to mill and drill. Able to have shipped to your house-if living in a free state. Check your State Laws.
1570550415367.png

A noob should also be aware that a build today usually winds up being more expensive than some production rifles. There are some pretty good deals out there for low cost complete rifles.

I started out doing my first build from a stripped lower, just cuz I thought it would be a fun learning experience/project... it was. Then I built two more from Polymer 80 lowers... what I learned from that is that it is not as easy as it looks... quality tools are needed such as a very precise X-Y vise... doing it by hand is a total no go!!! If I had to do over again, I would invest in metal 80% lowers and a really good jig.

Functionally nothing is different. You will end up with a shootable rifle either way. The "fun factor" of putting together your own firearm the way you want it will "bond" you to it more. It will educate you in the assembly of an ar-15 and it's mechanical intricacies and make it easier for you to diagnose any problems you might encounter later. I would stress the political side of all of this and warn people that the future is unpredictable. We are being looked at by non gunners as the evil enablers of school shootings and responsible for every drug deal shooting in the country. Putting together an 80% lower in my opinion is going to be considered illegal in the future and eventually banned and considered a felony to possess in all the blue states. I hope I'm wrong about that but I see nothing but trouble in the future for us gun owners if anyone but Trump is elected next time around. Be happy and live for today and enjoy your ar-15's because there will most likely come a day when you won't be able to.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top