JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I made a big mistake a few months ago while loading some .223/5,56 ammo. I ALWAYS lightly crimp w/a Lee FCD after seating...except for about 400 rounds that I roll crimped with the RCBS seating die. Hey, I wanted to save a step and some time! Yep you know what's coming. I crushed the cases and bulged the shoulder a bit. Not enough to notice (I'm an idiot) on the first few so I kept cranking away. Anyway I did notice the bulge when I started loading mags. From a 30 rd. mag. they chamber but are a bit tight trying to eject them. I've not fired any.

Safe to shoot? I value the body's opinion.

Thanks a ton.

I am guessing I could shoot the ones that easily fit into the chamber, I think they'll all fit they are just a little tough for me to eject using the T handle.

I am guessing I could shoot the ones that easily fit into the chamber, I think they'll all fit they are just a little tough for me to eject using the T handle.
If they chamber, they should shoot fine (all other things being equal) and extraction shouldn't be an issue as the case will form to the chamber and the bulge will iron out.

Well, I say roll cramp, that could be the wrong term. I crimp them with the crimping action that the R CBS die set performs. Sorry if I miss spoke.

This is may be an option for you also, https://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/body-dies-prod79088.aspx

You will have to decide what you are comfortable with. Do lots of research and decide for yourself. Lots will say it is no problem and done all the time, others will say you are going to die if you even consider it. EDIT: The point was using this with your loaded ammo with a bad shoulder. This will bring them back into spec.

As for crimping I always use a separate crimp die. I had too many damaged shoulders over the years. Once I went to separate seating and crimping never a problem again.

^^^^This here^^^^
I case gauge every one of the rounds I make now. A group of 5.56 that I'd resized years ago had some that were proud at the head of the gauge and really close and would not chamber. I pulled the remaining 140 and started over without the decapping pin and a new Lee die set and almost all worked out great.

Don't be the guy at the range constantly dynamiting his AR...:eek::eek::eek:

This is may be an option for you also, https://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/body-dies-prod79088.aspx

You will have to decide what you are comfortable with. Do lots of research and decide for yourself. Lots will say it is no problem and done all the time, others will say you are going to die if you even consider it.

As for crimping I always use a separate crimp die. I had too many damaged shoulders over the years. Once I went to separate seating and crimping never a problem again.
That is certainly an option, though if the cartridges will chamber, why not just fire them.

We're all going to die eventually....

^^^^This here^^^^
I case gauge every one of the rounds I make now. A group of 5.56 that I'd resized years ago had some that were proud at the head of the gauge and really close and would not chamber. I pulled the remaining 140 and started over without the decapping pin and a new Lee die set and almost all worked out great.

Don't be the guy at the range constantly dynamiting his AR...:eek::eek::eek:
Dynamiting?

I've heard of mortaring. I'm guessing dynamiting is a lot more serious. :D

Well, I say roll cramp, that could be the wrong term. I crimp them with the crimping action that the R CBS die set performs. Sorry if I miss spoke.
No worries.

In a semi auto, a weak neck tension can result in a bullet pushed back into the case.

If your brass is new or once fired, usually it'sa non issue to need to crimp.

I crimp all my semi auto loads. Not only is it a bit of piece of mind that a bullet will not get shoved backwards, I've also noticed my standard deviation decrease since crimping.

Here's my thoughts on crimping. If I can push the bullet into the case at all by forcing the bullet down on my work bench, it needs to be lightly crimped. When compared to military ammo, my light crimp seems puss.

Here's my thoughts on crimping. If I can push the bullet into the case at all by forcing the bullet down on my work bench, it needs to be lightly crimped. When compared to military ammo, my light crimp seems puss.
Just a guesd but I'd bet NATO/military ammo is crimped with specialized equipment.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top