JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Operation Petticoat
Father Goose
Two of my favorite comedy war movies.
We were Soldiers
Tora Tora Tora
Zulu
The Devils Brigade
A Bridge Too Far
Das Boot
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
The Longest Day
The Great Escape
For the serious side of war.

For the 1960s my favorite war film was Zulu.. historically accurate for the most part and top flight acting from Michael Caine and the Boer fellow as well as the crazy preacher and his daughter. The Zulus were very convincing

I am a huge Steve McQueen fan so the Great escape, yes

I like a lot of the ones mentioned. One I always seem to watch whenever its on is Midway. One that makes me think of my father who was a Marine grunt in WW2 is The Pacific from HBO. One that reminded me of my own experiences was Generation Kill from HBO. Restrepo is a documentary but it was pretty good.

Apocolypse Now
Firebase Gloria
Saving Private Ryan
The Bridge over the River Kwai
Generation Kill (not really a movie but, a miniseries)
The 9th Company (awesome Russian movie about Afghanistan)
Heartbreak Ridge
Master and Commander
Tigerland
Kingdom of Heaven

Paths of Glory - Kubrick - 1957
All Quiet on the Western Front - 1930
Grand Illusion - 1937
Breaker Morant - 1980
Red Badge of Courage - 1951

None of these films glorify war or treat it in a comic book fashion (as entertaining as films that do that can be). I will make a point of trying to get some of the Russian ones on Netflix if they have subtitles, KomradRazvan.

LOTS of great movies mentioned.

Patton
Heartbreak Ridge
Behind Enemy Lines
Full Metal Jacket
Saving Private Ryan

some of my favorites.

Tombstone.....that was some kind of war wasnt it? :)

A few that fly under the radar, but if you like war movies you HAVE to experience them....

The Beast
The Beast (1988 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stalingrad
Stalingrad (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ah, yes....The Beast. An excellent movie. And for the time it was made, surprisingly not filled with anti-Soviet propaganda either.

I haven't seen Stalingrad yet so this will be my next one. I'm reading yet another book on Barbarossa and Moscow so that'll fit right in. Just finished up a book written by a female Sturmovik fighter pilot.

Keith

Did anyone mention 'Flags of Our Fathers' yet? Unlike 'Das Boot', 'Saving Private Ryan', 'FMJ', 'Hurt Locker' etc which are historical fiction, this one isn't and it hits home pretty hard too.

Keith

I like a lot of the ones mentioned. One I always seem to watch whenever its on is Midway. One that makes me think of my father who was a Marine grunt in WW2 is The Pacific from HBO. One that reminded me of my own experiences was Generation Kill from HBO. Restrepo is a documentary but it was pretty good.

My father was a 17 year old volunteer Coast Guard in Cali in 1941

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top