JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Top 5 Tips To Improve Your Waterfowl "Hide" | Oregon Outdoor Council

Top 5 Tips To Improve Your Waterfowl "Hide"

January 29, 2014 – Waterfowl Ambassador, Eric Strand

DSC_0735-1024x680.jpg
The 2013-2014 waterfowl season is all but over, and I find this an opportune time to reflect on the things that went great and things that could have gone better. As waterfowl hunters we are constantly faced with new challenges on a daily and sometimes even hourly basis. This is what makes the sport so addicting – the constant need to adapt and hone your skills on a moment's notice. These skills include scouting, bird ID, calling, decoy placement, the ability to read situations and birds, shooting and the ability to hide in any situation with very little cover. In my opinion your blind or "hide" is one of the most overlooked but also most important pieces to every hunt. I have a lot of waterfowl hunters ask "how can I get more birds to decoy?" Often I notice they're paying more attention to their decoy spread and calling and not enough to the hide. Getting birds to finish in the decoys within 30 yards on a consistent basis isn't easy but you will have more success if you take an extra 10-20 minutes each day to work on your hide. We could sit down and discuss every situation possible but my hope is that the following 5 tips will make you a better waterfowl hunter and give you the edge day in and day out as we chase waterfowl from September to March!
Top 5 Tips To Improve Your Waterfowl "Hide" | Oregon Outdoor Council

Last edited by a moderator:
Although there is still time... I have no time... Sucks being a professional man sometimes.

I hear ya!!! I work a 9-5 and I donate my time until 9pm 3 days a week to the OOC. It can be a struggle to find time to hunt, as I'm sure it is for you too.

Luckily for me I don't have kids.

We just gotta keep on chuggin along as best we can, right? You ever find a little time and want to get out PM me! I have some private land access.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top