JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since we are talking about Enfields, I have one that I acquired from a friend pre SB941. It was poorly stored and has rust and a thick layer of dust and crud. It looks to be in great shape other than the storage problems. It is a Mark IV No1 and includes the original spike bayonet. I haven't removed the crud and surface rust to see the other markings. The interior and bolt are rust free and the barrel looks OK. I can't get the magazine out yet for some unknown reason. I am procrastinating on cleaning it up without damaging the remaining blueing and wood. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I am tempted to remove the wood to see if there is rust underneath and make cleaning the metal easier, but know my limitations.

I have another Mark III that we sporterized and used for hunting rifles. For the $5 we spent in the 70's, what could go wrong? We managed to get them back together, but the stocks never fit right. We used a leather spacer to tighten them up. We cut away much of the for-end without removing the last band. They did shoot well when we were done.

Last Edited:
It is a Mark IV No1

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

That's probably a No4 MkI

Use Kroil https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-P...oil+penetrating+oil&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8 and bronze wool Rhodes American Bronze Wool 0 Grade Fine 3 Steel Wool Pad - Ace Hardware to remove the rust without harming the bluing.

Here are some rusty Arisakas I cleaned up with Kroil and bronze wool.

Before
oa4z0o.jpg

After
okbfns.jpg

Before
33jkbdi.jpg

After
19v1ci.jpg

Before
2mrik5i.jpg

After
30230wz.jpg

Thanks tac. I knew you'd have top knowledge on this rifle. I bought 100 rounds of this.
20 Round Box - 303 British Surplus Ammo - 174 Grain Bi-metal FMJ 1980s Vintage made by MEN in Germany | SGAmmo.com
Says non corrosive. I didn't even look seeing as it's '83 manufacture. And inexpensive. It meets the 174 grain flat bottom bullet requirement, and is non corrosive.

I looked at a couple of videos and removing the butt stock did look like something that would be a real nightmare if the large screw holding it was frozen in the receiver frame. Granted I'm no gunsmith but I've worked with tools all my life, or 55ish years anyway. I presume part of the problem is with three screws into the barrel and one in the receiver, and different torque values would pull the barrel in odd ways, messing with accuracy?

Ah, MEN - I'd forgotten about that, seeing as how we don't get it here in yUK, only the 7.62x51 NATO stuff. Shoot it in good health - it's good stuff, so I'm told. As for the stock, as I noted, there is ten pounds UP pressure on one part of the barrel, five pounds DOWN on another part and so on. You'll know that the washer on the threaded end of the butt bolt is SQUARE, and efforts to move it withouthaving it lossened up will certainly ruin the wood in the cutout made for it. If I were you, notwithstanding your life-long experience with tools et al, I'd leave it well alone. As you say, you are not a gunsmith. Screw it up, figuratively speaking, and you'll have a rifle that certainly will shoot bullets, but not necessarily where you want them to go. It's your rifle.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here's a Canadian shooting 1940/41 and 42-made Cordite ammunition.

It has a smell that has captured the pens of thousands of writers all over the place - seems as though it is still in use by everybody who makes ammunition :rolleyes:

All I remember from my younger days is that after shooting all day on a range in the Vintage Arms Association shoots - I never owned a L-E and used to borrow one to compete - I suffered a powerful headache.

Can somebody please point me at this post?

'Pete F said:
It is a Mark IV No1

Any suggestions would be welcomed.'

TIA
If you click on the little red upward-pointing arrow next to the name of the person who was quoted you will go to the post that was quoted.

Very nice, I've always like the SMLEs, although I currently only have 1. A no1 mk iii from 1916, that sometime during or after the war was given to the Australians, and then used by them as a cadet rifle. It still has it's original barrel and is a great shooter. If you can take the hand guard off, there are all kinds of stamps underneath, and the barrel date is hidden.

FWIW, I pretty much just shoot PPU, AIM sells it pretty cheap, and it gives me good accuracy and the brass lasts much longer than US made .303, it is the only cartridge I neck size for.

IMG_20170401_151139124_zpsrzzhncnw.jpg IMG_20170401_151016828_zpsdanj2tan.jpg 20181030_105303.jpg

Last Edited:
I don't know why I get the numbers mixed up since I have had one since I was a Kid. It is a No. 4 Mk1 Enfield. Sorry for any confusion. The stock has a few dings in it, but not horrible. The rest looks to be in great condition other than the crud and light surface rust from poor storage.

Dammit, it's CANADIAN!!!!!!!!! Get cleaning with that poor, poor rifle, FGS!!! It does NOT need cleaning badly, it needs cleaning WELL! I bet that I could have it looking a gazillion times better in less than an afternoon, spurred on by LMP and lots of decent cawfee.

Dammit, it's CANADIAN!!!!!!!!! Get cleaning with that poor, poor rifle, FGS!!! It does NOT need cleaning badly, it needs cleaning WELL! I bet that I could have it looking a gazillion times better in less than an afternoon, spurred on by LMP and lots of decent cawfee.
I just needed a little prodding and will start on it this weekend. I forgot how good they can look when they are clean and restored. How can you tell that its Canadian from those poor pictures?

Well, TBH, I'm guessing because of the ribbed top handguard. Am I wrong? My late Uncle Geoff would have boiled you alive to see it in that condition - it might have been his, carried ashore on D-Day...

Well, TBH, I'm guessing because of the ribbed top handguard. Am I wrong? My late Uncle Geoff would have boiled you alive to see it in that condition - it might have been his, carried ashore on D-Day...
You haven't seen the worst. The trigger and guard, and the bottom of the magazine are rusty. I did find a marking that says England on the receiver.

I don't know how or where it was stored, but it wasn't good. I think that I can bring most of it back to good condition.

Oh man all I had to do was watch my friend shoot a Enfield and I picked up 5 of them. Long branch sold to a friend but have the others. Never shot them myself. That's on my list.

You haven't seen the worst. The trigger and guard, and the bottom of the magazine are rusty. I did find a marking that says England on the receiver.

I don't know how or where it was stored, but it wasn't good. I think that I can bring most of it back to good condition.

All that means is that it CAME from England. US law states that the purported country of origin be clearly marked on the gun in a prominent location. Check if it has LONG BRANCH on the left-side receiver flat.

Finding a magazine is no big deal, nor the trigger and trigger guard. Numrich have them for a start....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top