JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought my first AR last week and I am dieing to take it out. I did a ton of research on Del-Tons and it seemed like a sound way to go. I am curoious though. I have not found much info about specific round counts to failures anywhere. So, my question is to actual users of Del-Ton AR's how many rounds down the pipe and how many failures if any. I am planning on taking mine out after hunting season is over, probably up into snow and pouring 500+ rounds of steel cased ammo down range. I can't wait!!! I know your not supposed to shoot steel cased though DTI's. I bought mine from another member on here used. Any info from guys out there with these rifles would be awesome. Thanks

Before I added that BCM extractor upgrade, that del ton hated to shoot any kind of steel case ammo. It would fail to extract every third round or so. After I put the extractor upgrade in I was able to actually shoot through whole mags without problems. Be aware though, I only tried about 100 rounds of the tula afterwards. I don't know if it will still continuously feed steel case without problems. The issues I had with steel case ammo turned me away from it for good. It functions flawlessly with brass cased ammo though.

The reason I think it failed to extract with steel cases was that pre-upgrade the extractor didn't put enough tension on the rim of the cases. Looking at the cases after I pulled them out, it seemed as if the extractor jumped over the rim.

Also, I don't know if you know this or not, but always shoot brass case ammo before you start shooting steel case ammo.

Love my del-ton standard A2. No (mechanical) failures as of yet. Couple of times 20round PMAG would not fit in the mag well as it should because I had loaded it with 21, this caused a few failures until I figured out what was wrong.

Why do they make it so you can get 21 in there???

Love my Del-ton, never had a failure with 700-800 down the pipe....just make sure you use the right ammo. Is your SBR chambered for 5.56 or .223...you know you can NOT shoot 5.56 in a .223 rifle?

You'll love the gun.

Thanks guys, it is multicaliber, DTI, non chrome lined, 16 inch, carbine length gas system, moe model with a CTR stock. I have a few hundred rounds of xm185(i think). I bought it used and I believe it already has several hundred rounds through it. I don't remember exactly what the other member I bought it from said for round count. I have a approximately 2000 rounds of steel cased ammo that I made a sweet deal on, from craigslist, two years ago. I knew two years ago at some point I would end up with an AR-15m, so I couldn't pass up that deal. Thanks again I look forward to hearing from DTI owners.

Thanks guys, it is multicaliber, DTI, non chrome lined, 16 inch, middy, moe model with a CTR stock. I have a few hundred rounds of xm185(i think). I bought it used and I believe it already has several hundred rounds through it. I don't remember exactly what the other member I bought it from said for round count. I have a approximately 2000 rounds of steel cased ammo that I made a sweet deal on, from craigslist, two years ago. I knew two years ago at some point I would end up with an AR-15m, so I couldn't pass up that deal. Thanks again I look forward to hearing from DTI owners.

Carbine gas system, not a middy, atleast I'm pretty sure it's a carbine. XM193 it's the American Eagle stuff from bi-mart. I shot approx 300 rounds through it.

Hope you enjoy and take care of it!

I've got a Del-ton 16" A2 upper I bought new on a Spikes lower. At least 1000 flawless rounds through it... Fed mostly Remington UMC, misc. Federal .223 and 5.56 and some American Eagle. Also a couple boxes of Wolf steel cased rounds without a hiccup. Can't go wrong...these uppers are great and can't be beat for the price!

I have about 5k rounds through mine without a problem. Barrel and throat still look fine. I've shot only US brass cased ammo though so I can't comment on comblock ammo.

Tip for any AR. Put 19 rounds (or 29) in the mag and it will feed better, at least for me. I had a few fail to feed (jam) the first round otherwise.

Remember to drop the bolt with the bolt release on the first round. Don't let it down gently or you might get a jam or a stove pipe, or you might have to use the forward assist to seat it.

The best deals I've seen on Del Tons is from Coctailer. Anyone interested might PM him.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/members/128.html

Love my Del-Ton....about 800-900 rounds through it. Mostly steel cased. Only malfunctions was with ammo that is a box that looks like this stuff...stay away. About 1 in 8 rounds were bad. No other problems.

Make sure the bolt is "MP" marked.

<broken link removed>

Hi everyone, I just took My DTI out for the first time on Monday. I shot 200 rounds of Brass cased ammo with one malfunction then 300 rounds of steel cased ammo with no malfunctions. I have never seen or heard of the malfunction I had on Monday. A brass cased round got stuck between the charging handle and the bolt. It may have been my fault and not the guns? I very thoroughly cleaned my DTI the night before and may have over lubed. Has anyone else had this problem? Other then that if operated flawlessly. This we my first time firing and AR-15 and I loved it. Without trying very hard and shooting semi rapidly I shot a thirty round hole in the center of the bulls eye at fifty yards. I was very excited with these results, similarly the guys I was shooting with were amazed. I can't wait to take it out again maybe in a couple weeks.

Hi everyone, I just took My DTI out for the first time on Monday. I shot 200 rounds of Brass cased ammo with one malfunction then 300 rounds of steel cased ammo with no malfunctions. I have never seen or heard of the malfunction I had on Monday. A brass cased round got stuck between the charging handle and the bolt. It may have been my fault and not the guns? I very thoroughly cleaned my DTI the night before and may have over lubed. Has anyone else had this problem? Other then that if operated flawlessly. This we my first time firing and AR-15 and I loved it. Without trying very hard and shooting semi rapidly I shot a thirty round hole in the center of the bulls eye at fifty yards. I was very excited with these results, similarly the guys I was shooting with were amazed. I can't wait to take it out again maybe in a couple weeks.

I'm sorry, I can't picture where "between the charging handle and bolt" would be in the sense that a round could stick there. Any other details, or even a pic with your finger pointing to the spot?

A i mentioned in my earlier post, If I let the bolt down easy instead of just dropping it with the release I can sometimes get a round messed up, and with the brand of mags I have, I'm better to load one round light. Other than that, no failures.

It we very odd I wish I had taken a picture, It took me forever to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it. I had to hold the charging handle and manually push the bolt back and the round sort of fell. Actually I remember it was stuck between the locking lug and the charging handle not the bolt. I will try and get some pics tomorrow. I was very strange. Other then that it was a truly wondrous experience.

I also have a Del-ton upper on a Spike Tactical lower. Put over 3000 rounds through it. Only time it's EVER failed to operate is when I used Tula ammo. It DID NOT like that Rusky crap in it. It took several cleanings before it functioned well again. Once cleared out though, I've had over a thousand rounds through it and it's happy as a clam. Would buy another Del-Ton if the opportunity arose. Love them. But they don't love Russian ammo....

Here are a couple pics I took recreating the one hiccup I had all day.

I wish I had thought to take pics when it happened. I happened with brass cased (xm183 i think) hopefully these pics will help some one see what happened.

It's called a bolt override...it happens sometimes. Nothing wrong with your rifle unless it happens more than once for every 1,000 rounds. If it does, then your extractor is letting go of the round too early.

Thanks for the pics. That looks exactly like what mine will do once in a while if I put in a fresh mag and let the bolt down easy by the charging handle instead of letting the bolt slam home by releasing the bolt. I've had that happen a couple of times before I figured it out.

If yours did it in the middle of a mag in routine firing, I don't know what would cause a particular round to do that. If it was an unfired round as shown rather than a spent shell and it kept doing it, I would first become suspicious of the mag. The shape and position of the mag "lips" is important in any semi-auto. I've had to bend them on other guns to get them to be reliable. I'm not the only one who's thrown a mag away, either.

Like Riot said, if it only does it once in 1,000 rounds, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bolt override, huh. Thanks. it was in the middle of the mag during routine firing and the round was unfired as in the picture. I marked the mag so I know to pay attention if it happens again. The mag I used when this happened was a pmag. Thanks for the help guys.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top