JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
those are caused by bad magazines, when they happen on fresh rounds. it's the same problem as TRUE "double feeds" (not the commonly mis-represented "double-feed" with one fired, one fresh round- which is NOT a double feed). the magazine feed lips aren't retaining the top round, so when the bolt rides back, a round pops out and subsequently jams up the action in one of two ways.

ETA - i should clarify, WHEN it's a chronic problem. if it happens once every few thousand rounds, that's probably just a fluke. but mark the magazine that commits the sin, so that you can chart patterns. if a magazine get more than 1 mark, it goes in the trash, with my kit.

I also have to be sure the mag locks into place which it doesn't want to do if it's full and the bolt is closed. I can do it, but it takes a really good push to get it there. I always put in a new mag with the bolt open and tug it to be sure it locked.

I also have to be sure the mag locks into place which it doesn't want to do if it's full and the bolt is closed. I can do it, but it takes a really good push to get it there. I always put in a new mag with the bolt open and tug it to be sure it locked.

"downloading" will generally ease fresh mag inserting.. fill the mag to 30, then strip off one or two. 28 rounds will seat a LOT better (faster) than 30.

"downloading" will generally ease fresh mag inserting.. fill the mag to 30, then strip off one or two. 28 rounds will seat a LOT better (faster) than 30.

Yeah, I mentioned that in post #14. I always put 29 in my 30 rounders. They feed the first round better, but they still like to be inserted with the bolt open. I've tried it with an empty mag - same thing.

those are caused by bad magazines, when they happen on fresh rounds. it's the same problem as TRUE "double feeds" (not the commonly mis-represented "double-feed" with one fired, one fresh round- which is NOT a double feed). the magazine feed lips aren't retaining the top round, so when the bolt rides back, a round pops out and subsequently jams up the action in one of two ways.

The worst I've seen this happen was with my 9mm AR (Pro Mag magazine), for some reason the bolt locked back and the magazine let loose dumping 5-6 rounds through the ejection port before filling the gun with 5-6 rounds, when I ejected the mag the rest of the 10 rounds that were still in the mag "self ejected". Obviously I tossed the mag after that.:s0112:

Yeah, I mentioned that in post #14. I always put 29 in my 30 rounders. They feed the first round better, but they still like to be inserted with the bolt open. I've tried it with an empty mag - same thing.

guess i missed it..

i basically always use pmags, which have an extra round's worth of space designed into them for easier inserting, but i still download to 29. steel mags, i'll download to 28.

depending on your training style, i figure its better to always have your options open. you don't get an open bolt with a "tac" reload, for instance

The worst I've seen this happen was with my 9mm AR (Pro Mag magazine), for some reason the bolt locked back and the magazine let loose dumping 5-6 rounds through the ejection port before filling the gun with 5-6 rounds, when I ejected the mag the rest of the 10 rounds that were still in the mag "self ejected". Obviously I tossed the mag after that.:s0112:

nice.. volcanic magazine.

some instructors advise against ramming or smacking the bottom of the mag for this reason... personally, i say if you're chucking your bad mags and only using known good mags, you're not gonna have a problem, and getting the magazine fully seated the FIRST time far outweighs any unlikelihood of a mag eruption. just my thoughts, though.

guess i missed it..

i basically always use pmags, which have an extra round's worth of space designed into them for easier inserting, but i still download to 29. steel mags, i'll download to 28.

depending on your training style, i figure its better to always have your options open. you don't get an open bolt with a "tac" reload, for instance

Good points. I'll check it over because you are so right. The firing range is a lot different from a potential battle, lol.

Thanks for all the info and reply's, Hopefully I will get out in a week or so and send another 500 or so rounds of down the pipe. So far other then the on hiccup with the bolt override i am extremely happy with this DTI. My only other issues is where the trigger guard attaches in front of the pistol grip, the edges are so rough that even with gloves my middle finger was very raw after shooting. Any suggestion to work that over would be great. I was thinking the enhance Magpul trigger guard, but i don't know if that will fix that particular problem. I shoot in cold wet snowy conditions with gloves a lot, so I will change it for that reason, but is there anything I can do to take care of those two rough edges?

Mine doesn't have any of those issues, but if it did I'd file them down and touch it up with a felt tipped pen for now. That is, if I understand what you're describing.

Except for this issue P1010004.jpg at around 250 rounds, I have had no problems with my delton. They sent a replacment as soon as I called them.

Also +1 on Coctailer having the best prices, thats where I purchased mine.

P1010004.jpg

I had a DTI I sold to a guy recently handed back to me with the worst failure imaginable short of the gun blowing up in your hand. The round was jammed so tight in the chamber part of the rim was ripped off when it failed to extract and I destroyed a cleaning rod trying to pound it out from the other end. I cant be 100% sure it is a Delton Barrel. I bought the gun from Beavercreek Armory and they ripped me off on the deal which is a whole other story, but the beavercreek peeps wont even confirm what barrel they put in the rifle. They sold me a Wilson Barrel, but later said "we put in whatever barrel we have on hand at the time." for all I know it was one of their own barrels as it appears they are manufacturing their own barrels or having them made somewhere and selling them on CTD. My opinion on brand names is that any a-hole with the machine tools can turn out a lower as long as its within spec it really comes down to finish. This statement is made to all the guys that ask me, "whats a Delton? Dont I want a colt?" A DTI lower is as good as any other. However barrels are a whole other game and apparently accuracy isnt the only thing to think about. I have a head space gauge set and when I do get the bullet out, I'll check it and I'm guessing the beavercreek/DTI barrel will be way out of spec. I found another guy on ARFCOM that had the same problem with his DTI. I'll have to ask him where he bought it. DO-DO-DO :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top