JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some years ago, I believe I read it on the dailyrotten which was my former favorite website to visit until they quit updating it about a year ago, but mental health institutions were in need of trekkies who could speak Klingon. Apparently the science fiction writers for Star Trek actually invented a language that could be plausibly spoken to communicate with individuals, just for the purposes of the show, and people in their institutions would only speak the language so the staff had no means of communicating with their patients.

Some years ago, I believe I read it on the dailyrotten which was my former favorite website to visit until they quit updating it about a year ago, but mental health institutions were in need of trekkies who could speak Klingon. Apparently the science fiction writers for Star Trek actually invented a language that could be plausibly spoken to communicate with individuals, just for the purposes of the show, and people in their institutions would only speak the language so the staff had no means of communicating with their patients.

The city of Portland wanted to hire an on-call Klingonese speaker to have available to the Police Bureau. Lars Larson made a big stink and they nixed the idea, but they got the whole idea because there was an incident (not sure if Portland, or elsewhere) where police were called to a home, and the whole family spoke Klingon. The dad was telling his children, in klingon, to bring him a weapon. I bleev the story goes on to state that one of the officers recognized part of what was said and stopped it - and thus the idea started spreading that hey - we might want to have access to someone who speaks this made-up language because there was a slim chance this could become a safety issue. Just like when dealing with people who speak Russian or German or Spanish and responding officers didn't. Basically it came down to the cops *not* wanting to shoot people if it could be helped, if they knew what was being said and could communicate. Cheaper to have an on-call interpreter than to pay every cop to become fluent in a variety of languages.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews