JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

To Bob or not to Bob

• Go ahead and Bob the Ed Brown out or the gate.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Get it with standard grip. You can always Bob it later if you want to.

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
I am getting ready to pull the trigger this weekend (so to speak) on the purchase of an Ed Brown Kobra 1911 with a 10-8 rear sight and VZ grips. I am torn between ordering it in standard grip or with a bobtail. My current EDC is a DW CBOB, which I love. I initially got pricing from Ed Brown for the pistol I want in bobtail config, but it only costs $100 for the bobtail vs. standard grip. Would appreciate feedback from anyone that has full size 1911's in both configs as to whether i should order bobtail out of the gate or start with standard grip.

I should mention, the Ed Brown will not be a primary carry piece at this time.

Note to SilverFox, we discussed this.

Last Edited:
I currently have 2 1911s, but I've owned several and of all three "sizes". I have a CBOB and a Colt Government. If I was doing the buying, and if I was planning on using it for a carry gun at some point in time, I would for sure have it bobbed. While every gun mag has said that there isn't any difference to the "feel" of a bobbed gun vs. a standard grip frame, I disagree. I positively love the bobbed frame on the Dan Wesson. I could live my whole life without one, still think they look funny, and would never bob the Colt, but on a Commander I'd do it all over again!

Last Edited:
Interesting. I have a Colt Goldcup and would never consider bobbing it, but I kind of agree with you on non Colt 1911's. BTW, I don't think they look funny; I think they look cool! ;)

It doesn't negatively affect your grip and it makes the gun easier to conceal, it's a win win. Oh and MHO is that is looks cool so for me it would be a win win win.

so I guess my input would be beating a deadhorse?

SF-

Not at all. I'm just a little conflicted. If I Bob it up front, there's no going back. If I get it with standard grip I can always bob it later. I think you mentioned when we exchanged some PM's, but I know you have both standard and bobtail framed 1911's. Do you see/feel any advantage to NOT bobing the frame?

I am of the opinion that unless it will be primarily a carry gun, then you should wait to bob it. If you decide later that the gun will be an everyday carry, then it is possible to do the job then. For now shoot the piss out of it and enjoy it...

I would love to chime in with first hand experiance but I don't have my first bobbed 1911 yet... Hopefully it should I should have it next week. So maybe you need one bobbed pistol and one regular frame...

Tell you what cougie.... Next time I come to Oregon let's set up a time and place and I'll let you handle both my Bob's and shoot all the ammo you want to bring with you.

SF-

You're too late! :s0114: Ordered it with the Bobtail from Keith's today. Thought long and hard about it and saw no downside to ordering it with the bobtail up front. For those that say there is no difference in feel with the bobtail, it is just better for concealment, I disagree. I shot both my Goldcup with standard grip and my CBOB and the bobtail just feels better in my hand. Now I just hope it doesn't take the whole 90 day lead time they quoted. I'm Jones'n for my Kobra now. :woot:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top