JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As a beginner reloader, I'm looking for Titegroup load data for 9mm for 115 grains FMJ. It's the cheapest and most available powder for 9mm in my area. I'll be firing it through either the Glock 19 or 43. It's for practice, not for competition.

However Hodgden's official website only has data for LRN (lead round nose) and SPR GDHP (Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point). They do not have any data for FMJ.

I have no doubt many of you have worked with this powder for 9mm 115gr FMJ. I've read other forums but I'd love to hear the thoughts of people from this forum on your load data. And surprisingly my search on this website doesn't show a direct discussion about this load data. Thanks in advance for your answers.

As a beginner reloader, I'm looking for Titegroup load data for 9mm for 115 grains FMJ. It's the cheapest and most available powder for 9mm in my area. I'll be firing it through either the Glock 19 or 43. It's for practice, not for competition.

However Hodgden's official website only has data for LRN (lead round nose) and SPR GDHP (Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point). They do not have any data for FMJ.

I have no doubt many of you have worked with this powder for 9mm 115gr FMJ. I've read other forums but I'd love to hear the thoughts of people from this forum on your load data. And surprisingly my search on this website doesn't show a direct discussion about this load data. Thanks in advance for your answers.

I would try this:
Titegroup.PNG
This is from the manufacturer . If you don't have a manual I would get a couple and use this and maybe some simple searching. If you google what you're after you will get pages and pages. Now I would be VERY careful taking any load data from any site other than the tables the bullet or powder manufacturers put out.
If you want some plinking ammo I would start with 4.0 and the 115 FMJ. Load up a few and see how they work and go from there.

I use Titegroup in my sig p320. I load 115gr Berry's plated at 1.125" with 4.5gr of Titegroup. I have found it to be very accurate, and prefer it over my power pistol loads.

I would start with the starting loads Alexx posted though, work your way up the ladder until your happy. Good luck!

Same load just use the coal from another powders load. 9mm has a rather consistent 115gr OAL.

I don't pay so much attention to the bullet manufacturer when loading. I consider the type of bullet. A top quality jacketed bullet is a top quality jacketed bullet. A lead bullet is a lead bullet as long as were talking a medium hardness. A plated bullet (Berry's, Rainier Ballistics) falls between the two. Hollow points may be shorter so COAL may vary some. For instance I use Montana Gold hollow points and consider them to be pretty much the same as Speer/Hornady.

Seeing as I don't have a chronograph I load from the bottom and pay attention to recoil, how far the gun throws the brass, checking primers for over pressure and how dirty the brass is due to gasses escaping past the brass. I have guns that have short chambers and I need to go below recommended COAL so I'm actually using less powder than the book(s)/internet sites recommend for those.

It is very aggravating not be able to find a load data for the particular bullet you'd like to use.
You don't want to just use data from a similar bullet.
I would recommend you call the powder manufacturer.
I've done it several several times and they're very happy to help you.

Why? I've had no issues in sever thousand loads, other than having to adjust COAL a few thousandths one way or the other.

Some take the caution a little farther than needed but really nothing wrong with that. Better to be too careful than blow something up. When I first learned it was long before Algore had invented the net. All I had was word of mouth and books. At first I was a little leery when I could not find the exact bullet I wanted to use with the powder I was using. In cases like this 9mm I would use the start data for the next heavier slug if that was there. Otherwise I would go 10% below the start for the closest slug the book had. Then work up from there. Soon I got a lot more comfortable as I did it a lot. Better like this than some of the disasters I've seen where someone basically takes a wild guess at something. Seen a few of those over the years. Makes an impression on you.

Some take the caution a little farther than needed but really nothing wrong with that. Better to be too careful than blow something up. When I first learned it was long before Algore had invented the net. All I had was word of mouth and books. At first I was a little leery when I could not find the exact bullet I wanted to use with the powder I was using. In cases like this 9mm I would use the start data for the next heavier slug if that was there. Otherwise I would go 10% below the start for the closest slug the book had. Then work up from there. Soon I got a lot more comfortable as I did it a lot. Better like this than some of the disasters I've seen where someone basically takes a wild guess at something. Seen a few of those over the years. Makes an impression on you.

I should have clarified too that I'm only doing handgun. If I were ever to get into rifle rounds with the much higher pressures and different bullet profiles I would be more discerning about using published loads.

Titegroup2.jpg From Hodgdon 10th Edition...
The best that I could find and it looks conservative with a starting charge of 3.7 grains and max at 4.1
(crappy pic I know, use your browser to magnify to 200%)

Last Edited:
View attachment 366767 From Hodgdon 10th Edition...
The best that I could find and it looks conservative with a starting charge of 3.7 grains and max at 4.1
(crappy pic I know, use your browser to magnify to 200%)

And by comparison the Lyman 49th shows titegroup at 4.0gr to 4.5gr max for the same Hornady XTP bullet. With velocities at 1046 to 1119. Pressure 27,100 to 31,400.

??

I figure when loading a similar, quality jacketed bullet (Montana Gold) that I have 3.7 gr to 4.5gr to play with. That is why it's a good idea to have at the very least TWO sources for loads, but I use three, two books and the powder makers web site.

And by comparison the Lyman 49th shows titegroup at 4.0gr to 4.5gr max for the same Hornady XTP bullet. With velocities at 1046 to 1119. Pressure 27,100 to 31,400.

??

I figure when loading a similar, quality jacketed bullet (Montana Gold) that I have 3.7 gr to 4.5gr to play with. That is why it's a good idea to have at the very least TWO sources for loads, but I use three, two books and the powder makers web site.
I have the Lyman as well, but chose to post the more conservative of the two for the OP.
Agree, the more published data you have access to, the better.
And, every firearm is an individual, so always watch for over-pressure signs.

FYI, when you think about it.....even the amount of crimp can/will/could affect things. Really.....so, how would someone measure that? LOL.

Anyway.....I'm sort of like Mikej with his recommendations about reloading pistol ammo.

Aloha, Mark

Titegroup is a fantastic powder for 9mm and .45ACP.

I load to an OAL of 1.150 (COL max is 1.160") I'm typically loading a berry's 124 with 4.1grs.

Plated bullets, cast bullets, and jacketed bullets are different animals, and will perform differently. Cast bullets are typically oversized (to get a better gas seal) and are somewhat hard, plated bullets are usually softer but are usually oversized also and have a different friction coefficient in the bore. Jacketed bullets are usually at, or slightly undersize, and the jacket material makes them slightly more resistant to obturation, this may result in higher chamber pressures, but in lower charges it will still burn completely. (thus a jacketed charge will be less than a lead or plated charge)

Hollowpoints are volumetrically larger, so they will have faster and more complete burn than a jacketed/plated of similar weight.

My Suggestions:

* Stick with Titegroup
* Start with a longer OAL (1.150 gives a good margin over the 1.160 max OAL)
* Start with a low charge, load in lots of 10, and work up slowly
* If you're running plated, go with the minimum charge to cycle the gun, the harder you push the less accuracy you'll have

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top