JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Save some of your culled brass to reset dies when needed. Example from today. Needed a Lyman "M" die that was set for lead .308. Moved it to bell some 7.62x54r cases for lead. Last adjustment was to deep and I turned a cartridge into a funnel. Would have been mildly upset if it had been a good shell but as it was cracked, no big deal.

My friend uses old 45LC cases (cut down) to make hat bands for cowboys.

IMG_20160604_145152_193.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
They were the opposite of cool, but I have made powder dippers from brass with a tightly wound coat hanger wire handle!

Oddest thing I've done was make orange felt backings for salmon eyes on one of the wife's quilts. They had to be perfectly round, so I put an edge on a .45ACP case and punched them out for her. I was a hero for a whole 2 maybe 3 hours!:D

I have used old rifle brass to make funnels for Black Powder cartridge charging! Cut the head off, and silver solder a small brass handle on. Also makes nice powder measures, just cut to length, and dip, or fill and pour. I have soldered to the lids of powder cans to pour small measures too. My buddy makes custom leather goods, and is always bugging me for old brass. Have used a 5.56 case with the head cut off to join two pieces of fuel line after breaking a line on my Cummins! didn't leak a drop for hundreds of miles.:)

I collect all the brass I can find. I try to find good ways to reuse them other than reloading, funniest one being trying to use it as a slug deterrent. Using 22LR brass, I beat the crap out of them to try and get them a bit more ragged, then lined the garden with them. Something about copper they don't like, that and the sharp edges cut them up when they try to get over them.

My father once asked me for several empty .223 Rem and .38S cases.

As he was not a shooter, I asked him, "What's it for?"

He showed me his home made cigar ventilator. He had sharpened the .223 Rem's neck. Then, he would use it to bore a hole in the end (mouth end) of his cigar. He would use the .38S case to cap the sharp end of the .223 Rem case. That way, it was safer to carry in his pants pocket.

Aloha, Mark

I got another use for old 45 ACP brass. Remember, when Colt 1911 45's had that medallion in the grips?

Yup...sometimes the medallion would part ways with the wood grips. Not to worry...that hole was the perfect size to glue in a cut down .45 ACP head.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I collect all the brass I can find. I try to find good ways to reuse them other than reloading, funniest one being trying to use it as a slug deterrent. Using 22LR brass, I beat the crap out of them to try and get them a bit more ragged, then lined the garden with them. Something about copper they don't like, that and the sharp edges cut them up when they try to get over them.

Had a neighbor who was serious about raising fish, and he said he had to install a special ionic extraction system to remove any and all traces of copper, because it was lethal to many of the invertebrate species he was raising. Dumb me, but I couldn't understand why someone would want a sea cucumber, to eat or look at.

I have cut down 300 Wm brass to use as a cookie cutter when doing a flood lube on some rifle bullets. Worked perfect. Then sized and checked. I don't have a lube sizer yet.

I have cut down 300 Wm brass to use as a cookie cutter when doing a flood lube on some rifle bullets. Worked perfect. Then sized and checked. I don't have a lube sizer yet.

I have a sleeve I made for a Lee factory crimp die out of a 357 case with the head cut off that swedges a lead bullet down to .352 for my WSL. Don't laugh it worked great while I was waiting 4 weeks for my custom bullet sizer.

I have a sleeve I made for a Lee factory crimp die out of a 357 case with the head cut off that swedges a lead bullet down to .352 for my WSL. Don't laugh it worked great while I was waiting 4 weeks for my custom bullet sizer.
Ingenuity at its best, I have always enjoyed tinkering and finding away to get it done.

I heard of a .45ACP case (or was it a .40 S&W case?) being used to lube up that roller found on the bolt of an M14/M1A. Just load the empty case full of lube/grease and press it over the roller. The tight fit/pressure will force lube into the roller. Viola.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads