JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Or give them a piece of your mind. :s0066::s0066::s0066:

WDFW NEWS RELEASE

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

May 25, 2017
Ron Roler, (360) 696-6211

Public can comment on lower Columbia sturgeon fishing

OLYMPIA – The Washington and Oregon departments of fish and wildlife will invite public comments at an informational meeting scheduled May 30 to discuss to possibility of opening limited recreational sturgeon fisheries next month in the lower Columbia River.

The meeting will be held at the Heathman Lodge at 7801 NE Greenwood Drive in Vancouver, Wash, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

The lower Columbia River has been closed to sturgeon retention since 2014 due to concerns about population status. While the juvenile population is still reduced in size, tagging studies show a steady rise in the abundance of legal-size fish.

Following the May 30 meeting, the departments will hold a public Joint State Hearing on May 31 to discuss potential adoption of a fishery.

A draft of the proposed fishery structure will be posted for public review on Friday, May 26 at: ODFW Columbia River Management Fact Sheets

People who cannot attend the hearing can send comments by email to Ron Roler at [email protected]

It should remain closed along with all salmon & steelhead for 10 years to give nature a chance to rebuild itself. Kill all the penipeds!!!
And all killnetting in WA, OR & Alaska to be outlawed, nets decimated the wild native fish runs a hundred years ago and will need 200 years for recovery.

YMMV

It should remain closed along with all salmon & steelhead for 10 years to give nature a chance to rebuild itself. Kill all the penipeds!!!
And all killnetting in WA, OR & Alaska to be outlawed, nets decimated the wild native fish runs a hundred years ago and will need 200 years for recovery.

YMMV
Well nets and the huge salmon wheels...

I'm cool with closing down the Columbia and willamette for ten or so years. Heck, close the Wilson too. Gill netting should end, it was voted out and obviously somebody thought it would help the population that is obviously in awful shape. Remember the die off a few years back? The rivers were covered in corpses, you'd think they had spawned already. I don't cry much, but that was a tear jerker for me.

Same here, the damage is done and humans (all of us) have in some way had our hand in it to some degree.
Managers think they are so smart but in reality they might be book smart but they have ZERO common sense...:eek::eek::eek:o_O

Well, book smart tells us that stagnant water retains heat better than flowing water. Book smart also tells us that higher surface area absorbs more heat. Book smart would then suggest that reservoirs raise stream temperatures, which is impacting the abundance of predators and harming the salmon species ability to breathe. Also, the lack of natural barriers that would normally prevent sea lions from swimming upstream have been taken away. Dams are as much to blame as gillnetting. Funny, we could use a system that does not require an entire stream to be blocked to generate hydroelectricity. The Dutch practice this with intertidal towers, I believe OSU is also experimenting(or was), and there is a perfect example of stream diversion half way between Harriet and Timothy lake on the oak grove fork of the clackanas. Pretty sure there is another half way to ripplebrook RS that uses a larger scale of the concept, forget the name but if you drive up there you'll see it.
When somebody tells me that dams are better than fossil fuels, I laugh and agree, but say not by much. I then suggest these ideas. I'm also a fan of wind turbines, but have some questions there too. Wind still seems less impactful than dams by a considerable margin.

What's stopping this progress? MONEY MONEY MONEY... we all just pay the bill and get the shaft.
PGE won't line their pockets if they state the obvious fact.

Oil is abiotic. The Earth makes it. There were never enough dinosaurs in one place during certain time periods to make billions and billions of barrels of oil. Besides, how did they get so far down in the Earth....all over the world? Plate tectonics? Meh. Too many variables.
Too many previously run dry oil reservoirs have refilled. More dinosaurs down there?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top