JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been searching for quite some time for a better load for my 1-8" Tikka Superlite .223. My go-to load, named Pest Control, features a 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint at 3400 fps at the muzzle. Scary accurate! The problem is the ballistic coefficient. At just .238 this bullet drifts off like a 14 year old boy in math class. Shooting at marmots in any kind of wind is a learning experience.

So I tried Nosler's 69 grain Custom Competition, 70 grain RDF, 80 grain ELD Match (ELDM), and maybe a couple others. Different powders, primers, COAL, you name it. Nothing shot even close to Pest Control.

Then I started researching the 75 ELDM with a BC of .467. Using my Mountain Tactical magazines I could load into the lands if I wanted. So that's where I started.

*****THE FOLLOWING LOAD DATA IS SAFE IN MY RIFLE, NOT YOURS. START LOW AND WORK UP TO PUBLISHED MAXIMUMS*****

I found load data online suggesting 25.5 grains of Varget as the max. Utilizing the Sharpie method I got square land marks at 1.932". I selected three seating depths and three powder charges, and loaded 5 rounds of each. The BTO lengths were 1.930", 1.915", and 1.899". The Varget charges were 25.5, 25.0, and 24.5 grains.

0F0E2344-66EF-4A7F-AEA2-9377B78B48E0.jpeg

I chronoed the 1.930" lengths and got 2976 fps at 25.5, 2916 at 25.0, and 2873 at 24.5 grains. Then it was off to the range.

The longer loads shot consistently better. I won't bore everyone with the details, but I found a fairly good load.

4FCC58D2-5B13-4783-972F-B5AEB986F762.jpeg

Five shots you can cover with a nickel.

2795A876-08AD-4AED-819B-6D7B5A181D47.jpeg

Even with a penny.

3FB9F33E-A9FF-4C62-8CC4-9BF351EE72FF.jpeg

I think I'll load a few more.

P

Currently loading 69 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullets over 26.0 grains of H4895 for the exact same rifle you have. Tikka SL 223 1:8 twist. Base to ogive is 1.898" with an overall length of 2.296" that kind of scrape the front edge of the magazine, but feed reliably. Muzzle velocity on this is screaming at 3135 FPS and group size is in the 3's consistently. I have made hits on steel out at 1045 yards. It is pretty impressive for a 223 factory gun for sure. I tried Varget but didn't get as much velocity as I did with H4895.

Interested to know how long a cartridge that Mountain Tactical magazine will allow.

Really really long. Longer than you need, given distance to the lands. I was into the lands at 1.932", corresponding to 2.468".

I had a lot more room in the magazine.

P

Awesome results. I've yet tried those ELD bullets myself. Thanks for sharing.

Currently loading 69 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullets.

Interested to know how long a cartridge that Mountain Tactical magazine will allow.

You should give my load a try, working up to it of course. I ran both recipes through a ballistics program. Your load is screaming, but mine catches up in velocity at 250 yards and extends the lead the farther they go. Wind deflection is less for the ELDM at every data point. It's a function of BC, .305 for the Custom Comp, .467 for the ELDM.

I'll see what kind of max length I can get with my magazines. I'm certain that the limiting factor will be the lands, not the magazine.

What kind of experience do you have with the whole "transonic" and "subsonic" effect on bullet behavior? The data suggests your load goes transonic around 815 yards and subsonic around 970 yards.

P

Last Edited:
It gets a little "funky" in the trans sonic range, but if your bullet is properly stabilized it will remain true into the sub sonic velocities.

This load goes trans about 800 yards or so like you suggest, hits beyond trans sonic are not a problem due to the good stability out of this rifle with this bullet.

I have some 80 grain bullets to try also, but have not gotten around to it yet.... LOTS OF SNOW OVER HERE!!!!!!

My dad has the same model that I do, so I took it with me today when I did final sight in with my Superlite. His rifle hasn't been out of the safe for two years. It was last sighted in with Pest Control, 50 gr Ballistic Tip Varmint at 3400 fps MV.

The black in the center of the bull is 1/2" wide. I couldn't see the first shot. Thinking that I missed high due to seeing the dirt move behind the target, I selected a white spot on the paper near the bottom of the target. The bullet hit right where I was aiming. Could it be?

After the second shot I saw a bit of a smudge just outside the bull at 4 o'clock. Hmm. I threw the third shot right and it really goofed up the group.

24026E26-BD52-471B-91E9-F8EB014F4B67.jpeg

I might be on to something here.

P

I've been searching for quite some time for a better load for my 1-8" Tikka Superlite .223. My go-to load, named Pest Control, features a 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint at 3400 fps at the muzzle. Scary accurate! The problem is the ballistic coefficient. At just .238 this bullet drifts off like a 14 year old boy in math class. Shooting at marmots in any kind of wind is a learning experience.

So I tried Nosler's 69 grain Custom Competition, 70 grain RDF, 80 grain ELD Match (ELDM), and maybe a couple others. Different powders, primers, COAL, you name it. Nothing shot even close to Pest Control.

Then I started researching the 75 ELDM with a BC of .467. Using my Mountain Tactical magazines I could load into the lands if I wanted. So that's where I started.

*****THE FOLLOWING LOAD DATA IS SAFE IN MY RIFLE, NOT YOURS. START LOW AND WORK UP TO PUBLISHED MAXIMUMS*****

I found load data online suggesting 25.5 grains of Varget as the max. Utilizing the Sharpie method I got square land marks at 1.932". I selected three seating depths and three powder charges, and loaded 5 rounds of each. The BTO lengths were 1.930", 1.915", and 1.899". The Varget charges were 25.5, 25.0, and 24.5 grains.

View attachment 557460

I chronoed the 1.930" lengths and got 2976 fps at 25.5, 2916 at 25.0, and 2873 at 24.5 grains. Then it was off to the range.

The longer loads shot consistently better. I won't bore everyone with the details, but I found a fairly good load.

View attachment 557457

Five shots you can cover with a nickel.

View attachment 557458

Even with a penny.

View attachment 557459

I think I'll load a few more.

P

Good shooting buddy. Handloads looking nice too... Way to represent Tikka. I finally broke sub moa with mine yesterday!!!!!!!!! :s0133:

Questions:
  1. Did you have any trouble gettting a consistant charge of Varget?
  2. Did you have any trouble getting that max charge of Varget in the .223 casing?
  3. With the Tika superlite, how many rounds can you shoot before the barrel heats up and the impact point starts to drift around?

1. No. I use a Chargemaster for stick powder.
2. I'm loading long, no problem with the fill. A little crunch and the end, but very little.
3. Lots. Don't know yet. POI is very consistent despite a hot barrel. I don't let any barrel get too hot to touch comfortably, but that's for barrel health more than accuracy.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads