JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Loaded 200 9mm rounds this morning. Had a half hour before a conference call, so thought I'd set it up for 223.
I always run a case through many times making sure the dies are all still zeroed.
VERY FIRST CASE gets stuck in the resizing die. Push the handle to get the ram back down and SNAP! Part number 29 snaps off at the shoulder.

Called Hornady customer service, no wait for an answer. Brad is sending a part. Awesome!

2013-04-09_08-55-57_202.jpg

2013-04-09_08-55-57_202.jpg

Great Service

BUT-----

Why did it break to begin with. 9mm isn't all that stressful to a progressive press

AND

You aren't the only one to have this happen to with a Hornady Press.

FWIW, this is how they handle their QC (as well as some other Companies). They don't issue recalls to registered users (You did fill out the registration card, right?). They just wait until something they know is a problem to break then send the part out with no questions.

I wish they would pay for shipping. I had the same part break twice. I was mad. mad so I also got a dillion but i got stupid and bought another gun instead

Why did it break to begin with. 9mm isn't all that stressful to a progressive press

It wasn't on the 9mm but the first 223 case. I decided to do something differently - remove the decapping pin and adjust my mouth expander ball up to just below the neck resizer. Evidently I adjusted it up too much. Wound up ruining the decapper assembly too. Stupid is as Stupid does. Good thing I at least had a complete set of drift punches on hand.

(You did fill out the registration card, right?). They just wait until something they know is a problem to break then send the part out with no questions.

That's another spin on customer service. Look like the hero rather than the "almost there" engineer....

Looking at it, the assembly appears to be a machined indexing key, cast in the shoulder assembly then the part finish machined. If it fails again it's definitely the weak link (as MarkAd suggests above) and I'll have a friend machine one out of steel rod.

Looking at it, the assembly appears to be a machined indexing key, cast in the shoulder assembly then the part finish machined. If it fails again it's definitely the weak link (as MarkAd suggests above) and I'll have a friend machine one out of steel rod.

Can't speak to this particular part but welcome to the world of "Investment Casting". If the mold material is fine enough many manufacturers don't even bother with machining. Maybe a quick polish with some crocus cloth during assembly to make it fit. Just a little better take on the old "Pot Metal Cast" items of my youth.

I wish they would pay for shipping. I had the same part break twice. I was mad. mad so I also got a dillion but i got stupid and bought another gun instead

I've never had to pay shipping on warranty parts. (Mostly broken by me learning)
Even after I told them it was my fault, they still sent it for free. And it's always been to my house in under 3 days.

I couldn't be happier with them.

One thing I dont like about the hornady lnl is that very part that broke. Thats the weak link on the lnl..., so to fix that problem, I resize all rifle brass on a single stage press. On a side note, rifle brass needs to be very well lubed...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top