JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why do you recommend the 300 over the 7mm?
I know there are people out there who will say that it's all about shot placement and that even a 6.5 Creedmoor is fine for Elk. But I'm a proponent of having a bit more margin of error there. I was looking in to some African hunts, and not even for really large game, and I found many companies require a 30 cal or larger. I'm not saying a 7MM Mag won't work, as I have one myself and know I'd be fine with it for Elk. But after the research I did, I figured that I'd be better off having a 300WM if I did one of the African hunts which require 30 cal or larger. I got a great deal on a Christensen Ridgeline and during barrel break-in I shot a 3 shot group with Berger 215gr hybrids (Berger branded ammo, not reloads) that was just one ragged hole. I'd bet a Tikka T3x 300WM would shoot just as well.

I have a bunch of Cabelas gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and am looking at getting a rifle for an upcoming pack in Elk hunt. Looking at all sorts of guns but I keep coming back to the Tikka t3X Lite in 300Winmag and am curious what those who own them say about them. I have my 270, 308 and can borrow my dad's 30-06, all are Remington 700s, so I'm not interested in a comparison between brands/calibers...I'm just wanting another rifle that is going to be a special purchase for this hunt. Would it be a rifle I regret buying or will it end up being my go to rifle???

Tikka T3X Lite Bolt-Action Rifle – Stainless Steel/Black : Cabela's
Have a friend who wants to sell his like new 300wm
Synthetic, stainless, Pac-Nor barrel on what I believe is a Remington action, I can get more info if your interested.

I have a bunch of Cabelas gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and am looking at getting a rifle for an upcoming pack in Elk hunt. Looking at all sorts of guns but I keep coming back to the Tikka t3X Lite in 300Winmag and am curious what those who own them say about them. I have my 270, 308 and can borrow my dad's 30-06, all are Remington 700s, so I'm not interested in a comparison between brands/calibers...I'm just wanting another rifle that is going to be a special purchase for this hunt. Would it be a rifle I regret buying or will it end up being my go to rifle???

go for it ! T3X is a better firearm than the 700 in all respects - use up your Cabela's points and be done with them too ….

That's what I'm hearing. I'm using Cabelas gift cards/points for the purchase and don't think your buddy would take those...no cash out of pocket for me on this one.

I've read a few reviews of bolts falling out in the field. Anyone have that issue? It sounds like it'll be a purchase I don't regret...probably pick one up in the next few weeks. Hopefully they'll go on sale at Cabelas soon!
total B.S.
That's what I'm hearing. I'm using Cabelas gift cards/points for the purchase and don't think your buddy would take those...no cash out of pocket for me on this one.
even better choice then …..

I know there are people out there who will say that it's all about shot placement and that even a 6.5 Creedmoor is fine for Elk. But I'm a proponent of having a bit more margin of error there. I was looking in to some African hunts, and not even for really large game, and I found many companies require a 30 cal or larger. I'm not saying a 7MM Mag won't work, as I have one myself and know I'd be fine with it for Elk. But after the research I did, I figured that I'd be better off having a 300WM if I did one of the African hunts which require 30 cal or larger. I got a great deal on a Christensen Ridgeline and during barrel break-in I shot a 3 shot group with Berger 215gr hybrids (Berger branded ammo, not reloads) that was just one ragged hole. I'd bet a Tikka T3x 300WM would shoot just as well.

Here's a good read. 7mm Rem Mag in Africa.

I'm JGRaider and I Suck

P

Apparently your perusing of "African suggestions or requirements for calibers" failed to outline the fact that many, no most, African game is thicker skinned than what most of we NA hunters are used to, as well many are a lot bigger in weight and volume than we are accustomed to - ANY day of the year and in ANY circumstance I would choose a 7mm mag (Weatherby's my preference) with a 175 monolithic over a Berger in any weight or caliber, I will wager that your PH will want to talk "more" about any Berger you present to him
Yes, you may have knocked over dozens of elk with one shot kills but we are talking a different set of potentials on a much different continent, IMO of course

I had a Tikka T3 Lite that I FOOLISHLY sold because it was a duplicate chambering (.270 WSM) to another rifle I already had. The Tikkas are light rifles, and like all light rifles, they have less mass to absorb recoil than heavier rifles. That said, I didn't see the recoil on the Tikka at all punishing — in fact the Tikka was much more pleasant to shoot than the Rem 700 SPS I have in the same chambering. Tikkas have one of the smoothest actions out there and are a joy to carry on mountain hunts. Yes, I sold the WRONG RIFLE!

I had a Tikka T3 Lite that I FOOLISHLY sold because it was a duplicate chambering (.270 WSM) to another rifle I already had. The Tikkas are light rifles, and like all light rifles, they have less mass to absorb recoil than heavier rifles. That said, I didn't see the recoil on the Tikka at all punishing — in fact the Tikka was much more pleasant to shoot than the Rem 700 SPS I have in the same chambering. Tikkas have one of the smoothest actions out there and are a joy to carry on mountain hunts. Yes, I sold the WRONG RIFLE!

I know the feeling. Back when Whittaker's had those great prices on Tikka CTRs I couldn't decide between 20" & 24" so I bought both. A few months later I sold the 24". Even though it was unjustifiably a duplicate, I still regret selling it.

My tikka in 7mag isn't my first tikka. I too foolishly sold one in 270 cause I wasn't sold on it. But I just didnt have the time in with that rifle. Wish I could get it back. Such is life.

Thanks for sharing the post. There definitely isn't anything wrong with a 7Mag, and I never said there was. My point was that if your proffered outfitter requires 30 cal then you're looking for another outfitter or another gun.
I "think" that caliber minimums are not the PH's choice and also varies some from country to country, IF I were to travel to Africa on a "safari" the "caliber" I'd choose, in about a split second, would be a 338 Win Mag - But you are right on, either of the two mentioned are fine choices in the correct venue - "bullet choice", now there's another topic altogether

Still haven't purchased but now that someone talked about the Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon, I'm having a hard time choosing. I've narrowed it down to 7mmRemMag, just have to decide the rifle.

Still haven't purchased but now that someone talked about the Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon, I'm having a hard time choosing. I've narrowed it down to 7mmRemMag, just have to decide the rifle.

Told ya... I've been going back and forth for about 6 months.... 300 win mag though.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top