JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know both are entry level and frankly that is all I need. The uncle and cousin decide to try muzzle loading hunting this year so I need to go deer hunting. New to the sport with plenty of rifle and handgun experience. also, have a friend I teach hunter Ed with that has been muzzleload hunting for years so no problem there.

I have a chance to pick up a CVA Wolf. Has both the open sights and the scope mount which is nice. I can remove the scope mount for legal hunting in Washington. Both can use the 209 primers making things easy. Both have breech plugs which I for sure want to make cleaning and other things easier.

Biggest plus right now is the CVA Wolf is brand new but second hand. Person who bought it several months ago never shot it do to health issues and is now selling. His price is $175 shipped. So it's in line with brand new.
The vision runs closer to $300 and is a break action instead of true inline.

I have been told to stay away from truly used guns as you never know if someone shot a load with way to much powder and/or other issues. Not much seems to be for sale locally so you have to depend on the pawn stores on line and that can be hit or miss!

so thoughts from the other experts?

Because I much prefer more traditional looking firearms that have not been manufactured by these companies I find this choice sort of like choosing between a goiter of superlative size or kidney stones.

I'm sure that others, much less prejudiced than myself, will weigh in with some sound advice.

Of the two I prefer my CVA. Its simpler and easier to load the cap with the break open rather than bolt type action. I'm in no way an expert;)
full.jpg

Ive used the cva wolf the last two years and its been solid. Very accurate, right about there a centerfire rifle.
What power did you use? And what grain load do you find works the best.
Along with that you shooting sabots or something else? Any particular powder bullet combo that seem to work best for you in the Wolf?

Because I much prefer more traditional looking firearms that have not been manufactured by these companies I find this choice sort of like choosing between a goiter of superlative size or kidney stones.

I'm sure that others, much less prejudiced than myself, will weigh in with some sound advice.
My thoughts also,kinda like do you want hit in the head or the groin with a hammer and like yourself I have no use for either.Go with what the hunts were designed for,traditional muzzleloader not a single shot 30:30.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top