JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
@AndyinEverson - I saw this crie de coeur on a UK-based forum this afternoon - can you help him out?

'I saw a very interesting flintlock rifle the other day. It was a "Ketland" flintlock rifle made approximately 1780 according to the owner.

It was a fine looking rifle and in very good condition. What was unusual about it was that it could be loaded while you were lay down. The backsight was about 1-1/2" wide by about 1/4" thick and about 1/2" high. It could be unscrewed and was attached to a large threaded plug. The ball was inserted into the barrel and wadding was put in behind it. It appeared to have a slight taper at the breech to stop the ball rolling out. It wasn't patched.
The powder was put in at the rear of the opening where the sight/plug went and then was fired like any other flintlock.

I have tried to find out more about the rifle but I only get the maker,W.Ketland, who was based in the Midlands, the actual model does not come up.'

TIA

tac

tac,
The first thought that comes to mind is that Ketland only made the lock not the whole rifle.

While looking through the book "English Guns and Rifles" by J.N. George ... I come across several references to "Screw Barrel" rifles and "Screw Plug" rifles ... both systems seem to have been popular to experiment with during the flintlock era...
A picture of the rifle would be a big help....
I would be happy to look more into this rifle as more information is available.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top