JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been considering buying one of the Thor stands that holds a 2x4 and a cap that holds the plate and wondering if anyone has used one of these? Is their enough tilt on the plate for deflection of the bullet? Any thoughts or issues with them? Other ideas for a sturdy, portable steel target stand?

Consider this....

I've been considering buying one of the Thor stands that holds a 2x4 and a cap that holds the plate and wondering if anyone has used one of these? Is their enough tilt on the plate for deflection of the bullet? Any thoughts or issues with them? Other ideas for a sturdy, portable steel target stand?
I have one and use it frequently.

I've only knocked it over once and that was because the ground wasn't level. Not the fault of the stand. I shoot .223, 7mm-08, and 7mm Rem Mag at it, 200 yards and out. White rattle can and you're GTG.

I can't speak to bullet deflection since I've never paid much attention to it.

I have one and use it frequently.

I've only knocked it over once and that was because the ground wasn't level. Not the fault of the stand. I shoot .223, 7mm-08, and 7mm Rem Mag at it, 200 yards and out. White rattle can and you're GTG.

I can't speak to bullet deflection since I've never paid much attention to it.
Thank you. Have you tried it within a 50 yards or shorter?

On another note, where do you shoot? I live near Harrisburg and struggle to find an area out to 200 yards.

Thank you. Have you tried it within a 50 yards or shorter?
We've shot our Thor targets (the torso's as you mention in post 1) at 50 yards with AR & AK pistols quite a bit fine.

Carbine & rifle will dimple that steel too much at that distance, destroying your target rather quickly. Making it unsafe for closer in handgun work. IMO.

Edit, adding: Great targets/system, recommend!

We've shot our Thor targets (the torso's as you mention in post 1) at 50 yards with AR & AK pistols quite a bit fine.

Carbine & rifle will dimple that steel too much at that distance, destroying your target rather quickly. Making it unsafe for closer in handgun work. IMO.

Edit, adding: Great targets/system, recommend!
Thanks! Good to know as we would be shooting pistols and AR rifles.

A couple of things. I bought the 10" gong from them at the ARPC gun show in Albany. I though the $40.00 was a great price for what they say is tougher than AR500. Especially after hitting the crap out of it with .30-06, Swede Mauser and AK 47. At 100 yards there was nothing more than slight dimples and some edge hits that took some material. You could get a butt load of dimples and edge damage on one of their targets for $40.00!
I did have an issue that mostly disabled the gong. When at group clean-up and there were a few guys on the line and we were all shooting at the target. The ears on the gong are susceptible to being broken if hit right. I called them and there was, apparently, no way to repair it. I hang my gong from this set-up...
61jLbTbW3IL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I still use the broken original Thor gong hanging it from the one ear, but it's more of a spinner now. :s0112:
So I'd say if you keep it away from a "Gang" shooting at it, their incredibly durable!

A couple of things. I bought the 10" gong from them at the ARPC gun show in Albany. I though the $40.00 was a great price for what they say is tougher than AR500. Especially after hitting the crap out of it with .30-06, Swede Mauser and AK 47. At 100 yards there was nothing more than slight dimples and some edge hits that took some material. You could get a butt load of dimples and edge damage on one of their targets for $40.00!
I did have an issue that mostly disabled the gong. When at group clean-up and there were a few guys on the line and we were all shooting at the target. The ears on the gong are susceptible to being broken if hit right. I called them and there was, apparently, no way to repair it. I hang my gong from this set-up...
View attachment 1115038
I still use the broken original Thor gong hanging it from the one ear, but it's more of a spinner now. :s0112:
So I'd say if you keep it away from a "Gang" shooting at it, their incredibly durable!
I have a Thor two-gong setup as well as the 2x4 stand.

Since I only hit near the center of the gong I don't expect to have the same problems.

P

Thank you both. I am concerned about the dimpling at 100 yards as this seems dangerous and counterproductive to its intended use. Hmmmmm....
Maybe dimpling isn't the correct term?

I'm thinking now we've been shooting the gong at 75 yards. Easier for wifey to play with the .22 and her AR. I've mostly been shooting paper with the Garand using PPU for Garand rounds and some of my home rolled with less recoil. I do shoot the gong too. I love that "THWACKKK" sound it makes. And trying to stop the the swing by hitting it again at the perfect time is cool too!

P1050133.JPG

The first target I bought at the ARPC show that the ear broke of had many more hits and still shows little damage as far as I'm concerned. The biggest divots in that gong I believe are from a S&W 500 mag pistol shooting 300gr hard cast that a board member had at one of the clean-ups. That was probably closer to 100 yards.

P1050134.JPG

You don't say where you are? "Kurt's Shooters Supply", in Milwaukie carries Thor stuff.

I will suggest a larger over smaller plate. Was shooting at 600 with a friend at the 4" and he flipped it off the hook with a .308, so that was a bit of a walk to reset. Haven't flipped my 10" yet

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top