JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I bought this dueling tree from Oregon Rifleworks last year, but due to life, I was never able to take it out and use it. Today I finally had the chance to really put it through its paces. And I can tell you straight up, I was disappointed as hell.
DuelingTree2.jpg

This dueling tree cost me over $300.00, and I feel at this point I got totally screwed. For starters, the base on the unit is narrower than the H base one of their standard target units. Given the sheer weight of the steel, I have no idea why they did this. Second, although this photo doesn't illustrate it well, the base is not level, and the tree cants to the right. This (in addition to the next problem) causes the plates to flip irregularly, or sometimes not at all.

Dueling Tree1.jpg

Third, this photo shows that although there is a slight forward cant as is proper, the cant isn't aggressive enough, and I had to use the stick on the ground to prop up the back of the unit to make it tip further forward in order to get the plates to flip properly.

Finally, even when I did have the unit propped forward and leveled, the top two plates would periodically come flying completely out of the tree! WHAT THE HELL!? Upon closer inspection of the unit, I found that the steel tubes that hold the plates were crudely cut with major burrs in the steel. Everything that could be wrong with this tree IS wrong!

What a major downer, and since it's been damn near a year since I bought it, I have no recourse other than try and fix it myself so it's marginally usable.

That was my plan for tomorrow. I just found this all out today.

Yah, give them a chance to rectify. Mayhaps this was a mark 1, and they might have updates/newer versions. Who knows.

Also be mindful that they may not even be open, or limited times with this Covid crud.

Good luck.

-Kinda surprised it was riddled with problems. Have a bunch of there torso plate stand setups. Perfect.

That was my plan for tomorrow. I just found this all out today.
Make sure you talk to Josh. Their hours are 10-4 right now.
There were some QC issues if I remember correctly on the first run of these.

Yah, give them a chance to rectify. Mayhaps this was a mark 1, and they might have updates/newer versions. Who knows.

Also be mindful that they may not even be open, or limited times with this Covid crud.

Good luck.

-Kinda surprised it was riddled with problems. Have a bunch of there torso plate stand setups. Perfect.

I have a torso plate target as well- no issues with that whatsoever.

What ever was the outcome on this? If you haven't rectified it you could always lay a sand bag across the front legs. I'm pretty sure that's a secondary reason on why Thor made them longer than the back legs.

Honestly nothing ever came of it. Covid happened, and the purchase was made so long ago that I didn't think Thor would do anything about it anyway.

Well, I bought this dueling tree from Oregon Rifleworks last year, but due to life, I was never able to take it out and use it. Today I finally had the chance to really put it through its paces. And I can tell you straight up, I was disappointed as hell.
View attachment 683096

This dueling tree cost me over $300.00, and I feel at this point I got totally screwed. For starters, the base on the unit is narrower than the H base one of their standard target units. Given the sheer weight of the steel, I have no idea why they did this. Second, although this photo doesn't illustrate it well, the base is not level, and the tree cants to the right. This (in addition to the next problem) causes the plates to flip irregularly, or sometimes not at all.

View attachment 683099

Third, this photo shows that although there is a slight forward cant as is proper, the cant isn't aggressive enough, and I had to use the stick on the ground to prop up the back of the unit to make it tip further forward in order to get the plates to flip properly.

Finally, even when I did have the unit propped forward and leveled, the top two plates would periodically come flying completely out of the tree! WHAT THE HELL!? Upon closer inspection of the unit, I found that the steel tubes that hold the plates were crudely cut with major burrs in the steel. Everything that could be wrong with this tree IS wrong!

What a major downer, and since it's been damn near a year since I bought it, I have no recourse other than try and fix it myself so it's marginally usable.
What ever was the outcome on this? If you haven't rectified it you could always lay a sand bag across the front legs. I'm pretty sure that's a secondary reason on why Thor made them longer than the back legs.

Honestly nothing ever came of it. Covid happened, and the purchase was made so long ago that I didn't think Thor would do anything about it anyway.
You should give them a chance to make it right, I would think they would want to fix it seeing as how this would be a huge PR bost for them if they stepped up and did the right thing

Honestly, if you're savvy you could just make your own. I made a dueling tree years ago and it's seen thousands of rounds up to and including .44 mag. Not rifle proof, though. Got a hole in one to prove it. Total cost less than $100 and an hour of time

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top