JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, words do have meaning. They mean what we want them to, as a society. In the last half century it has become commonly accepted among gun owners that a stripper clip or en-bloc magazine is a "clip", and a detachable box magazine is a "magazine"; it also means that you will likely be verbally assaulted if you misuse the word clip. What the most vehement defenders of this seldom admit is that "clip" used to be entirely accepted nomenclature for a detachable box magazine. Even the great Elmer Keith referred to them as clips.

Meanings change over time, for various reasons. The word "clip" has changed, specifically for military logistical reasons. It used to be considered correct. This is indisputable. Calling a magazine a clip is not necessarily lazy or ignorant; it is simply archaic. Why do some people get so upset about it, bordering on violent? I have seen ordinarily nice people get downright rude and nasty when the subject comes up. The only thing I can figure is that it's some kind of Pavlovian response ingrained by numerous pushups or beatings in the military, or passed on from someone else who has.

Who here has ever referred to their rifle or pistol as a "gun"? This is also taboo. As most of you know, a real gun is crew served and measured in pounds or inches. Words mean things, and in certain circumstances those specific meanings are critical. Since I'm not in combat, I'll continue to use clips in my 1911, and I'll call my pistol a gun, thank you very much. Call me old fashioned, but don't call me lazy or stupid. It's my little bit of rebellion against the nomenclature police.

Merriam-Webster is technically correct. Wikipedia on the other hand, is notoriously unreliable. Notice the "citation needed" part.

Now "bullet" for cartridge, or "bullet tip" for bullet, that's a different story. Don't get me started...:)

How many of you belong to a crew served gun club?

I was in the Army in 1961-1964.
We used M1 Garand, M1 and M2 carbines and shoulder fired rocket launchers.
I trained on but was never issued an M14, as the M1 Garand was still the issued weapon, while I was there.

I also was a kid when we had tube fed and clip fed 22 rifles.

If I call it a clip, or magazine, it has no bearing on whether I am a newbie, or misinformed, it's just my choice.
Get over it, or get under it, your choice.

Im an artilleryman right now on my way out. We have our rifles (m4 and m16) our crew served (m2 and 240b etc.) And our guns (howitzers) in basic we would get our asses smoked for calling our rifles anything but rifle or weapon. If you want to get real technical a weapon with a barrel of 16" or smaller and mid length gas port classifies as a carbine. As stated before its all whats in the context. I guarantee if i say hand me a clip for my ar or my ak and all i have laying around are their respective mags then then youll know what im talking about. Mag or clip it still the same thing. Feeds the ammo into the chamber to be fired.

I call them clips just because the nerds really flip out. You can see a few here. LOL. Endless source of entertainment.

star-wars-no-1-fan.jpg

star-wars-no-1-fan.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews