JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have the unfortunate circumstances of working in a career field that will likely at one point lead me to NYC. I've researched the gun laws quite a bit and it seems Long Island is even more anti-gun than New York City itself. To even own a handgun in New York state, you have to get a may-issue permit. It's been this way for well over 100 years thanks to a notoriously and famously corrupt democrat politician named Timothy Sullivan. In some parts of New York these permits are effectively shall issue - if you apply and aren't a felon you will you get it. However, that's mostly in upstate New York. If you live in New York City proper, Westchester County (to the north), or Nassau & Suffolk County (to the east) you actually have to jump through quite a few hoops. Nassau County's application 5 pages in length and asks for 4 references. Suffolk County requires your references actually notarize their affidavits. New York City itself does not actually require references BUT they want people who live in your household to submit some paperwork. Rifles are a bit less regulated with only NYC requiring a permit to purchase a rifle (or other long guns).

The Supreme Court actually has a case on it's docket right now reviewing New York's pistol permitting scheme. If a government wants to regulate carry in public behind a permitting scheme, one can argue government interest blah blah blah - but making even the purchase of a pistol for home protection require a may issue permit with hundreds of dollars in fees can NOT be constitutional.

Hopefully by the time work pulls me out to NYC these laws will have been shot down by SCOTUS.

Last Edited:
I have the unfortunate circumstances of working in a career field that will likely at one point lead me to NYC. I've researched the gun laws quite a bit and it seems Long Island is even more anti-gun than New York City itself. To even own a handgun in New York state, you have to get a may-issue permit. It's been this way for well over 100 years thanks to a notoriously and famously corrupt democrat politician named Timothy Sullivan. In some parts of New York these permits are effectively shall issue - if you apply and aren't a felon you will you get it. However, that's mostly in upstate New York. If you live in New York City proper, Westchester County (to the north), or Nassau & Suffolk County (to the east) you actually have to jump through quite a few hoops. Nassau County's application 5 pages in length and asks for 4 references. Suffolk County requires these applicants actually notarize their affidavits. New York City itself does not actually require references BUT they want people who live in your household to submit some paperwork. Rifles are a bit less regulated with only NYC requiring a permit to purchase a rifle (or other long guns).

The Supreme Court actually has a case on it's docket right now reviewing New York's pistol permitting scheme. If a government wants to regulate carry in public behind a permitting scheme, one can argue government interest blah blah blah - but making even the purchase of a pistol for home protection require a may issue permit with hundreds of dollars in fees can NOT be constitutional.

Hopefully by the time work pulls me out to NYC these laws will have been shot down by SCOTUS.
if it were me I would change careers before I would go within a thousand miles of N.Y.C.

if it were me I would change careers before I would go within a thousand miles of N.Y.C.
Easier said than done, esspecially since its all I know. Generally people in my field either wind up on the west coast in LA or SF, or on the east coast in NYC. I would actually have to be in SF now but I was fortunate my company opened a position in Oregon to cover the PNW as a whole right around the time I got hired.

The first two stories sum up where Oregon and Washington are headed

We have a slight advantage here in the wild and wooly West, I think. I don't know who oversees the permitting process on the East coast but I feel here we have allies in the county Sheriffs Departments here. at least better that what I would think they have over East. Bunch of raving lunatic, nazi democraps in the sheriffs offices.

The first two stories sum up where Oregon and Washington are headed

That dude seriously likes to blather on (at least in written form) about…. everything.

Based on my experience with said types, my guess is he doesn't know which end of a hammer you're supposed to hold it from.

We have a slight advantage here in the wild and wooly West, I think. I don't know who oversees the permitting process on the East coast but I feel here we have allies in the county Sheriffs Departments here. at least better that what I would think they have over East. Bunch of raving lunatic, nazi democraps in the sheriffs offices.
Massachusetts permitting is may issue by the city or town police chief. Plus expensive classes & such. Never bothered, even though we had family friends on the local PD. Lieutenant (now Chief), sargents & patrol officers.

Where I grew up, Metro Boston area, Sheriff & Deputies duties are not patrol related at all. More administrative (jail, court, prisoner transport, that kind of thing). Completely different than out here.

Plus AFAIK, every handgun a "normal citizen" can buy has to come with some obscene heavy trigger. Sure, the owner can swap it out legally. Just another step though. Then it can't be sold/traded modified.

Then there's the goofy magazine restrictions, along with features restrictions & It just wasn't worthwhile to stay.

They (anti gunners) love the idea of fees and permits as it makes economic and political barriers to one using their 2A rights which is unconstitutional and egregious at best. Just like the NFA, taxing a right, again, is unconstitutional. I really do hope the Supreme Court strikes down all that NY malarkey surrounding carry, permits etc.

I have the unfortunate circumstances of working in a career field that will likely at one point lead me to NYC. I've researched the gun laws quite a bit and it seems Long Island is even more anti-gun than New York City itself. To even own a handgun in New York state, you have to get a may-issue permit. It's been this way for well over 100 years thanks to a notoriously and famously corrupt democrat politician named Timothy Sullivan. In some parts of New York these permits are effectively shall issue - if you apply and aren't a felon you will you get it. However, that's mostly in upstate New York. If you live in New York City proper, Westchester County (to the north), or Nassau & Suffolk County (to the east) you actually have to jump through quite a few hoops. Nassau County's application 5 pages in length and asks for 4 references. Suffolk County requires your references actually notarize their affidavits. New York City itself does not actually require references BUT they want people who live in your household to submit some paperwork. Rifles are a bit less regulated with only NYC requiring a permit to purchase a rifle (or other long guns).

Check out this forum. Lots of good info. I'm from Long Island but would never move back there. When I ETS'd and went back home I had a few "firearms" with me. I called the local police precinct and asked about getting a pistol permit. They said to bring the guns in and they will keep them while I apply for my permit, with no guarantee I would get them back if the permit didn't go through. I said OK, see you tomorrow (wink, wink). Shortly after that I moved to NC. Suffolk County even today is fairly red but the state laws really suck.

Because....."shall not be infringed" doesn't seem to mean a thing, when Politicians are reading their own modified version of the 2nd A......

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable and makes common sense to me."

Aloha, Mark

Easier said than done, esspecially since its all I know. Generally people in my field either wind up on the west coast in LA or SF, or on the east coast in NYC. I would actually have to be in SF now but I was fortunate my company opened a position in Oregon to cover the PNW as a whole right around the time I got hired.
Minuteman, I was born and raised in NYC. I escaped many years ago to the freedom of Washington.

Some of my friends in NY and NJ cannot believe that I shoot on my own property in eastern WA. I never thought that our 2A rights would significantly reduced incrementally by the voters of Seattle and King County.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top