JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a member at Tri-County Gun Club. No complaints about it at all. It was very nice when I lived in Tualatin. Now that I live on the border of Gresham, it's 60+ miles round trip. That's the only reason I'm considering switching.

I'm still making the drive :) but it means soaking up a half a day on weekends, and those 8 days a month quickly fill up when you have three kids.

So I was thinking of maybe switching to something closer. My needs are pretty simple: pistol (ideally at different ranges) and rifle at 100Y-300Y (or longer). I don't shoot anything exotic - typical CCW pistol calibers and .22LR, .308, and various milsurp rounds like 8mm.

That's it. I don't hunt, I don't shoot clay, I don't do competitions, I don't square dance. Mostly I just show up and blast paper. I'm an endowment NRA member and give if someone's passing the hat but I don't usually go to club meetings. I probably should but...time...

One options is to find some outdoor area to shoot. Here and other places I've lived, I've always joined clubs but I've heard there are lots of outdoors places to shoot. I've just never been initiated (lol).

I looked at Douglas Ridge's web site. That's one option. My time is limited and I'm not wild about the $150/year or 8 hours add-on fee. I know, gun clubs need volunteers and it's a way for people to be involved in their clubs. I don't mean to sound selfish but my time is limited and for me, gun clubs are mostly places to show up and shoot.

Johnson Creek is probably the closest but of course that's pistol only. I am still thinking about them because as an urban CCW guy, that's the skill I need to keep sharp the most.

I've shot at Place to Shoot a few times and would never go back. Ugh.

I haven't looked at Estacada yet.

Other opinions?

I like estacada, but only know of 1 place you can shoot 100 yards, maybe a bit further. Nowhere close to 300. I also live in east Portland and have thought about joining a club so it'd be nice to see what others say.

I think gun clubs are important. They are local, gun friendly businesses that need our support. I prefer private clubs (I'm a member of DRRC) vs. public ranges like the pit or TPTS (I'm a life member there too) because they tend to be better cared for and less restrictive.

I find the woods to be an unpleasant place to shoot. Laws, unknown people and trash are all too distracting to me.

My only complaint about DRRC is how often it is closed due to long distance shooting taking place. That said, maybe I need to take up some long distance shooting so I can go anyway :)

Even if you choose to pay the $150 vs. donating 8 hours you're still talking about $25 a month for membership. What's that? For the cost of 100 rounds a month you can shoot at a private, maintained, versatile range without the yahoo's.

I think it's a bargain.

I think Douglas Ridge is your only answer. It has everything g you want, so you may have to bite the monetary or tome bullet and do it. It's only the first year and after that you'll have what you want.

I'm a former member of DR, then I moves to Hillsboro and DR became a hour long one-way drive.

I now belong to TCGC.

Just join DR. It's not very busy usually and you can knock out your work hours by helping set up for a match or two.

H

indoor handgun that doesnt limit how fast i shoot, is rarely crowded, and has some awesome members: johnson creek gun club. open 8am to 8pm daily.

i go to the english pit from time to time, but no rapid shooting... and some of the people there are outright asshats. i've been swept there more often than when i lived in Inglewood, CA.

otherwise, i head out of town. i hear ya with time... ive got 4 kids, more than 1 job, no time.

Hey Guys,

I really appreciate your recommending our club. However, just to clarify, our rules state that there must be at least 1 second between shots. This is for everyone's safety. You are definitely right about the members...we have the best people at our club!

Jill
Johnson Creek Gun Club

Hey Guys,

I really appreciate your recommending our club. However, just to clarify, our rules state that there must be at least 1 second between shots. This is for everyone's safety. You are definitely right about the members...we have the best people at our club!

Jill
Johnson Creek Gun Club

Really? 1 second between shots? So I guess my weekly drill of two from the holster is right out?

Tell me why exactly is that practice outlawed at your club? It's entirely safe. I've never had a ND in my life, nor let one fly over the berm.

Tell us all please why your club is safer for this asinine, contra-CCW rule.

Misterbill,

In response to your reply, you are correct about the two from the holster. We do not allow draw and fire practice because it increases the level of danger. You may be correct that for you, at your skill level, this may not be a dangerous activity. However, we have to frame the rules of the club for everyone including the people who have just bought their first gun.

I am not saying that my club is safer than any other. We do, however, make safety the top priority. The club is located in the middle of a residential area with homes all around. Also, we allow for key card entry and no on site staff. This requires us to put in place extra safety precautions for all the members because without the members, there is no club.

Hope this explanation helps,
Jill

I sight in at Estacada R&GC every fall. It's always been a good experience. Douglas Ridge, not so much. Mostly it's attitude. Like if you really, really want me to handover my $2500 restored rolling block so you can manhandle it during your safety inspection, you'd better treat it and me with respect. Just because I'm not a member of your club I'm not a lesser human being.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top