JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great point. Any recommendations on a chest setup?
I think the choices are two :

Diamond D if you like leather
diamond-d-leather-629215-gcg2021-alt4.jpg
Kenai if you like Kydex
71Iy80T+hbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I have a Diamond D for a G20, but I have to believe that the Kenai would be faster.
Excellent craftsmanship on the Diamond D I will say.

Last Edited:
My preference for a duty type holster is a Safariland ALS holster...without the rotating hood. This gives you level 2 retention and the ALS is super fast. To this end, the OT Defense "Nub Mod" for the ALS button is well worth the $25-ish. If you google it, it will come up.

And as for which Safariland holster, you just gotta kind endure their website. Go to their holster finder and plug in your info and then sort through the options.

Now...you need a way to mount that holster onto your belt. And to that end you have options...

1) Safariland UBL (Universal Belt Loop) in low, mid, or high ride. And you can add a Safariland QLS fork and receiver for easy on/easy off

2) Safariland thigh rig (and a QLS fork/reciever)

3) G Code - They make a really good retention holster too btw...and cheaper than Safariland. There's uses a rotating hood and the don't have anything like the Safariland ALS. Note that G Codes stuff is all compatible with Safariland...you just need to get the right attachments/mounts. But you can mount either a Safariland holster or G Code holster to any of the following...

Belt Mount #1 - I prefer this one because it has the thigh strap that adds stability...

OR...Belt Mount #2...

Or...their Thigh rig platform. Note that this is their "Mule" rig which has a much shorter down-strap than traditional thigh rigs...which helps avoid carrying your thigh rig at your knee. But they have regular thigh rigs too.

Note that the Mule can be mounted to your belt in a variety of ways from a simple belt loop, or a paddle, or an RTI wheel (my preference) for easy on/easy off. Their RTI wheel is functionally the same as the Safariland QLS.

Hope that helps. :)
I just discovered the nub mod for my ALS holster. Where has that been all my life….. I'll never run a safariland holster without one again.

It's for wilderness trekking. I want the thigh so it doesn't interfere with the backpack and other supplies. Usually, I carried the gun in the backpack but had a really uncomfortable encounter with mother nature where I realized I need a quick draw capable.
I went thru this a few years ago and found the gunfightersinc drop panel worked well. This is not a true thigh holster, but is designed for hip carry with a backpack. Their "Micro Aggression Panel" (dumb name) works by dropping their holster just low enough to use a backpack... I bought one and it works very well and comfortable. This is the only option I know of that's a) not a chest rig b) not a true thigh holster.
You have to order it with their Ronin series holsters with malice clips to order with the panel.

That said, the Hill People Gear kit bags is a quality product that works well on popular hiking trails where concealed is more appropriate.

4-18-Clint-Shoot-6.jpg

I personally don't the the body mechanics that are involved when drawing from the chest. But that last just me. It may be a great solution for your issue. I prefer to have my gun along my waist line but that may also be due to habit and a daily routine. If I am running a rig out in the woods or on the range this is my preferred set up.

EEA05EBF-36F3-42AE-B49B-DEB07F420CD0.jpeg E20C5118-3FDB-4F15-A991-D4F6AEAF07D4.jpeg

It's for wilderness trekking. I want the thigh so it doesn't interfere with the backpack and other supplies.
I found the thread I did on this exact subject 2 years ago. I spent the money on a quality drop holster to figure out what I need for hiking packs so there is some good information for you in that thread. I stayed with the Gunfightersinc I mentioned above.

I just discovered the nub mod for my ALS holster. Where has that been all my life….. I'll never run a safariland holster without one again.
I know, right!? :)

Kudos to OTD for coming up with that. They've probably made a killing selling those things...and good for them! Begs the question, however, why Safariland went with such a small button in the first place and has never upgraded it. :rolleyes:

But then this is the same company that builds and touts a modular system but won't sell the individual components of that modular system separately. The ONLY way to get certain models of their holsters, for example, is to buy the damn thing with some type of mount. All I need is the holster and a QLS fork to plug it into my existing rig...except Safariland doesn't sell the freaking holster stand alone. So you gotta buy the holster with, say, a UBL mount that you already have and do not need.

And I get it...it's a cash grab...plain and simple. But it's an extremely crappy way of doing business IMO. I digress...

I went thru this a few years ago and found the gunfightersinc drop panel worked well. This is not a true thigh holster, but is designed for hip carry with a backpack. Their "Micro Aggression Panel" (dumb name) works by dropping their holster just low enough to use a backpack... I bought one and it works very well and comfortable. This is the only option I know of that's a) not a chest rig b) not a true thigh holster.
You have to order it with their Ronin series holsters with malice clips to order with the panel.

That said, the Hill People Gear kit bags is a quality product that works well on popular hiking trails where concealed is more appropriate.

View attachment 1107428
That look like a comfortable fit

That look like a comfortable fit
it is as comfortable as it looks. Most importantly get what you think will work best for you but... I hope you get this because Id like this product to stick around (in case I ever need to replace mine....) because its not the popular option, everyone seems to go for the chest rigs like the Kenai.

I like the Hill People Gear chest rigs; lots of utility and also concealed. I'm honestly more worried about two-legged creatures out in the middle of nowhere. Also, leave draw size unzipped and it's pretty accessible.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top