JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can anyone recommend a thigh holster for a P226 MK25 with a flashlight? Only thing I am seeing is Safariland and they look pretty good. TIA
Do you want retention? I personally would stick with safariland. As a duty style holster they are very hard to beat. If you're gunna run a thigh holster I suggest running it very high to the point that the strap runs in the junction of your upper thigh and pelvis. Otherwise they are just in the way and will probably slow you down.

Do you want retention? I personally would stick with safariland. As a duty style holster they are very hard to beat. If you're gunna run a thigh holster I suggest running it very high to the point that the strap runs in the junction of your upper thigh and pelvis. Otherwise they are just in the way and will probably slow you down.
Well put. I checked with safari and there are like 27 options populated for my gun. Any specific models preferred? Good call about the high-ride, I've had other thigh holsters in the past where it was like a pendulum with movement, lol.

I recommend not getting a thigh holster unless it's a job requirement or uniform requirement.
It's for wilderness trekking. I want the thigh so it doesn't interfere with the backpack and other supplies. Usually, I carried the gun in the backpack but had a really uncomfortable encounter with mother nature where I realized I need a quick draw capable.

Safariland 6004-25 thigh rig. Its stiffer and the gun won't flop around. Retention is easier too. You can mount other crap on it. Many non-safariland holsters use the same hole patterns. Use the Safariland holster finder to find the exact SKU you need.

76A60BEF-2E5C-480F-A1A4-E0175881CEAA.jpeg
6FC44006-28FB-414F-940C-1704F09A8BFF.jpeg

It's for wilderness trekking. I want the thigh so it doesn't interfere with the backpack and other supplies. Usually, I carried the gun in the backpack but had a really uncomfortable encounter with mother nature where I realized I need a quick draw capable.
Yeah, that'd do for making you rethink backpack carry!
@No_Regerts mentioned a good one, many of them will swing around and whack you in the nuts if you have to run and you don't cinch them down tourniquet tight.
A buddy of mine uses a binoculars chest pouch to carry in, and uses a monocular to cut down on room.

I'd look at G-code they are nice holsters not cheap but not out of line with Safariland. It is also a much smaller holster. Safarilands are nice but there light holsters are monstrous.

Backpack carry will get you killed....that's documented.
But why not a chest rig ?
I don't think I've ever seen a back country guide or a picture of one using a thigh rig.
Has to be a reason.

Something like this. Just choose the holster you want. As long as it has the safariland hole pattern.

500B991B-863B-4A47-A2FE-0149D64E8456.jpeg 3E98C7C5-9A04-4E43-A691-15ABF3D133D3.jpeg 3B757886-6377-4B06-A063-94BC92C72607.jpeg 0639C20F-6147-4FA7-B333-D16141CA8B78.jpeg

Any particular model? My gun populated 27 variants which look very similar lol.
Depends on the features you need/want. SLS, ALS, SLS w/ ALS. I don't need the level 3 retention so I like the ALS. I'm using a 6390RDS - ALS Mid ride w/ a QLS, I removed the hood guard, optic cover and internal plug below the light. You might want all that stuff, I don't know.

I definitely prefer the 6004-25 over the 6004-10 and 6005-11. Also, consider a cantable UBL low ride over a thigh rig.

My guess is you might you will be stuck with a 7000 series.

Last Edited:
My preference for a duty type holster is a Safariland ALS holster...without the rotating hood. This gives you level 2 retention and the ALS is super fast. To this end, the OT Defense "Nub Mod" for the ALS button is well worth the $25-ish. If you google it, it will come up.

And as for which Safariland holster, you just gotta kind endure their website. Go to their holster finder and plug in your info and then sort through the options.

Now...you need a way to mount that holster onto your belt. And to that end you have options...

1) Safariland UBL (Universal Belt Loop) in low, mid, or high ride. And you can add a Safariland QLS fork and receiver for easy on/easy off

2) Safariland thigh rig (and a QLS fork/reciever)

3) G Code - They make a really good retention holster too btw...and cheaper than Safariland. Their's uses a rotating hood and they don't have anything like the Safariland ALS. Note that G Codes stuff is all compatible with Safariland...you just need to get the right attachments/mounts. But you can mount either a Safariland holster or G Code holster to any of the following...

Belt Mount #1 - I prefer this one because it has the thigh strap that adds stability...

OR...Belt Mount #2...

Or...their Thigh rig platform. Note that this is their "Mule" rig which has a much shorter down-strap than traditional thigh rigs...which helps avoid carrying your thigh rig at your knee. But they have regular thigh rigs too.

Note that the Mule can be mounted to your belt in a variety of ways from a simple belt loop, or a paddle, or an RTI wheel (my preference) for easy on/easy off. Their RTI wheel is functionally the same as the Safariland QLS.

Hope that helps. :)

Last Edited:
My preference for a duty type holster is a Safariland ALS holster...without the rotating hood. This gives you level 2 retention and the ALS is super fast. To this end, the OT Defense "Nub Mod" for the ALS button is well worth the $25-ish. If you google it, it will come up.

And as for which Safariland holster, you just gotta kind endure their website. Go to their holster finder and plug in your info and then sort through the options.

Now...you need a way to mount that holster onto your belt. And to that end you have options...

1) Safariland UBL (Universal Belt Loop) in low, mid, or high ride. And you can add a Safariland QLS fork and receiver for easy on/easy off

2) Safariland thigh rig (and a QLS fork/reciever)

3) G Code - They make a really good retention holster too btw...and cheaper than Safariland. There's uses a rotating hood and the don't have anything like the Safariland ALS. Note that G Codes stuff is all compatible with Safariland...you just need to get the right attachments/mounts. But you can mount either a Safariland holster or G Code holster to any of the following...

Belt Mount #1 - I prefer this one because it has the thigh strap that adds stability...

OR...Belt Mount #2...

Or...their Thigh rig platform. Note that this is their "Mule" rig which has a much shorter down-strap than traditional thigh rigs...which helps avoid carrying your thigh rig at your knee. But they have regular thigh rigs too.

Note that the Mule can be mounted to your belt in a variety of ways from a simple belt loop, or a paddle, or an RTI wheel (my preference) for easy on/easy off. Their RTI wheel is functionally the same as the Safariland QLS.

Hope that helps. :)
Thank you, lots of great info to consider!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top