JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My HVAC went belly up about the end of JUNE. No heat/AC ... nuttin! I have had the repair folks out here to service and repair the outside compressor. The first time was for a small electric component that went bad. OK fixed that. It ran for awhile and then it would not cool the house and was blowing 76 degree air into the house while set on A/C. OK called the repair folks again. I have used this company for years and, yes, I trust them completely. Repair guys came out, checked the system and said it is out of refrigerant! What? OK again, I get that. Pressure checked the unit and filled with refrigerant. NO leaks. It ran PERFECTLY for one week :-( then more hot air. It was then I heard about "people" stealing A/C refrigerant for recreational/business uses. I had never heard of this before - ever. Did lots of research on this topic and spoke with friends in the area. They said stealing "freon" is a thing around here as it also appears to be so across the country. Who knew?! So my repair guy will be out again tomorrow to recharge my HVAC again. He will add some security features to prevent this apparent theft in the future. Geez, how low have some people sunk? What I have learned is that if your unit does not leak but ends up with no refrigerant you have been robbed! Like me. We live in the country up in the mountains. Have never observed anyone who looks dodgy hanging around our property. Wife and I work in the day time so that must have been the time of the theft. Sorry this is so long but I have NEVER experienced this before. If anyone can prepare themselves and their HVAC to guard against this theft ... good. BTW IT is just over $1000 to refill the refrigerant each time. Ouch!
Thanks for listening.

If this can be shown to be a theft, rather than equipment defect, any chance your homeowner's insurance will cover the loss? Theft is theft. I'd give them a call and ask. If your repair guy is certain it is theft, then I'd file a police report to facilitate a potential ins. claim. The cops might also have some info that would be helpful to you. If repair guy installs the new security measures, and it goes tits up again next week, then you may have a different kind of problem.

@Stomper might know if it's a thing?
Yep, it's a thing. They make special caps that screw onto the service ports that require a key to be able to engage them, otherwise they just free-spin.

It's all well and good unless the bad-guys have the keys, but it's going to help 80-90% of the time. There's 3-4 different manufacturers of the security caps with their own style of key that only opens their brand of cap.

I'd be setting up some hidden cameras if I were you, to at least see if recorded intruders correspond to your system going flat on refrigerant charge.

It used to be we hung horse thieves. Now we allow people to steal anything. Perhaps the pendulum will "swing" the other way….eventually.

Good luck with the HVAC issue and, if applicable, the losers!

Great feedback everyone. Many thanks. My HVAC guy is coming back today to fill'er up another time and put on the locking covers. He was quite certain it was theft. I did find out that locking covers on HVAC units have been the industry standard since 2010. Alas, my unit is 2008 built. I soon will file a theft report with the local Sheriff as we live in the county. I will also let the local police know about it just for their information. Also will be following up with my Home Owners Insurance to see if anything is covered. Already have cameras up but may have to relocate one to get a better look at the outdoor unit. To date have not seen anything on cameras but they do not cover all of the property ... yet. For everyone "Watch your 6!"

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews