JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Deal killer...

*38 Special Brass Comes in two extractor groove sizes, one fits Remington, Federal, and similar extractor groove diameters, and one fits Winchester and similar size brass. We need to know what ammunition you use, in order to provide you with the correct moon clips.

Don't know what's new here....S&W has had several models for at least 10-15 years with that very capability from the factory but without the case-specific models. I've used mine for at least a decade in ICORE. No issues, mixed cases.

Check out the 627 & the 327 38/357 factory specs.

And there's been a number of shops that have advertised their services to machine other stock cylinders to those specs.

The one I'm looking at using moonclips in is a S&W 686-6 Plus Deluxe seven-shot. Anyone know if that is one that can use moon clips? Brownells has them, but I'm not clear if that is without modification.

I also see seven-round moon clips for the .357 Magnum on S&W's site. So many this would work unmodified?

Last Edited:
Slight diversion here. I bought a 3" Taurus 692 a few months back for a backup .357/9mm sidearm. Seven rounds with an interchangeable 9mm cylinder.
Taurus provides TWO moon clips and has/had no moon clips in stock. I've had them on backorder for at least three months.

Typical freakin' Taurus. :rolleyes:

Is your reasoning to load quicker or to be able to carry readily available ammo easier?

Have you tried the Ripcord? These are all I use over the traditional speed loaders now.

Quicker reloads. Both for informal shooting and if/when I can get involved with ICORE. I normally use Speed Beez, but I found myself having trouble with them on the new 7-shooter. Might just take more practice, but I don't know at this point. The Ripcord does look interesting. Hopefully they'll make a seven round one someday. :)

So I messaged Smith & Wesson over a week ago asking if this wheelgun can use clips. Thus far no response. From a visual inspection, I don't think so, because it does not appear to be cut for such a device. But, hey, I'm no expert. To quote Oddball from Kelly's Heroes "I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work." Anyone confirm/deny my analysis? Muchas gracias.

1568167145956.png

Is your reasoning to load quicker or to be able to carry readily available ammo easier?

Have you tried the Ripcord? These are all I use over the traditional speed loaders now.

Those are pretty cool amd very affordable. They have a short video on their website to demonstrate how they work. I'm going to order a couple for my SP101.

Deal killer...

*38 Special Brass Comes in two extractor groove sizes, one fits Remington, Federal, and similar extractor groove diameters, and one fits Winchester and similar size brass. We need to know what ammunition you use, in order to provide you with the correct moon clips.
This is normal for all moon clips. The ammo manufacturers have different extractor groove sizes so you want to get moon clips to fit what you shoot most often. You can force the wrong one on but then the bullets will be floppy
I just have multiple sizes for each gun cut for moon clips.

I have 2 smith wheel guns that were cut for moon clips from the factory ( a 627 pc 8 shot 357 mag and a 642 pro) and it is indeed nice. I would have it done since you know you will be able to order moon clips for your particular gun.
You can still single load rimed cartridges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top