JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I gave up on .44 Magnums a good few years back. I wasn't hunting and since I didn't reload feeding them was just too bloody expensive. Since I've taken up reloading and am hunting again I figured that my next firearms purchase ought to be a .44 Magnum. I figured given my budget limitations it might take a while to find a good, affordable gun. I wanted a 4-5/8" barrel but wasn't picky; I could always shorten whatever I found to suit.

First time in a gun store after deciding that I wanted to buy one I found it. I wandered into Pintos with nothing in particular in mind and spotted a US Arms Abilene .44 Magnum with a ported 8" bull-barrel. It's in very good condition, super-tight tolerances and an excellent trigger. These guns were known for this and had a reputation for durability and accuracy; they were quite popular with silhouette shooters. It was affordable too- the only downside was that the grip is super-fat, but that's an easy fix for me.

I talked it over with Linda, sold a gun I'd lost interest in and put the Abilene on layaway. I hope to get it out next week; might be I can take it on a hunt before the season ends. I'd wanted a short-barreled gun but I'm not sure; this one hangs out at the end of my arm pretty nice. I plan to shoot it some before I make any decisions.
JciGRli.jpg

Nice find!

I just bought a "like new" Winchester 30-30 after looking for almost 2 years to find a nice one in my price range.

There is something sweet about buying a gun that you have been patiently waiting to find. But even better when you can pick it up sooner.

Congratulations on your sweet purchase, I hope you get some meat in the freezer with it soon.

Linda used to spot/score for me back when I was shooting NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette. I was using a Smith and Wesson Model 16-4, 8-3/8" Barrel, loaded with .32 S&W Long Target Wadcutters, for the 40 & 50 meter Chickens and Pigs. Of course, the Gun was really quiet which meant that if I missed she would have to tap me on the Shoulder just to make sure I had even fired! She's One very nice lady.

PS: I did use the .32 H&R Magnum loads for the Turkey(75 meters) and Ram(100 meters) and I do miss the other fine Lady who Directed the matches in those days. She's now doing the same thing at the NRA Whittington Center.

Last Edited:
After shooting the Abilene this evening I am thinking the 7-1/2" ported barrel isn't going to get cut, but I am still on the fence about the grips. This gun came with the wood-topped cardboard box and all the original paperwork-

rrQj9RK.jpg
Scamp was very interested in the box.

Since I am not set up to reload this cartridge yet I bought a box of Sellier & Bellot 240gr. JSPs- the price of which reinforced my decision to reload! $32.95+ Tax. Ouch. These loads should exit my 7-1/2" barrel at around 1150 fps for 723ft/lb. of energy- more than adequate for the local Blacktails. So... the gun.

The photos do not do the finish justice. A friend who works at Champion Arms range looked the gun over and exclaimed, 'It looks like it's made of black glass!" The finish on the barrel and steel grip-frame and trigger guard is a deep black, the frame is plum colored. The cylinder has zero end-play and less side-play in the lock than almost any revolver I've handled. The cylinder gap is .002". The trigger is unexpectedly heavy- I'm guessing 5.5 pounds- but breaks very clean. The bore and chambers are pristine. This isn't a full review so lets talk about how it shoots.
e10cEYr.jpg

Unsupported at ten yards with a 6-O'clock hold the first three went into the same hole, low. I adjusted the sights on subsequent shots until the final shot hit the bottom of the bullseye. According to S&Bs website POI at 10 yards should be 1/2" low for a 25 yard zero, so I put up a new target at 25 yards. Aside from a single flyer I shot a 2-5/8" group clustered around my POA, standing unsupported. Not tragically bad, and hopefully I'll improve with practice.

E4iyEsc.jpg
I really, really like this gun. The quality and fit and finish is every bit as good as the USFA and Seville revolvers I've owned in the past. At $375 this was an absolute steal.

Now the Bad news- the S&B ammo was unreliable. In only 40 shots I had a half-dozen failures to ignite. Nice, deep primer strikes- they should have gone off. I've had excellent luck with this brand in the past, and I am very disappointed that they are not working well in this gun. This is an issue since I plan to hunt with this gun later this week. That means I need to buy another box of ammo and make another range trip, and the schedule between now and the trip is tight. Still, I won't risk lining up a shot and hearing a click instead of a boom.

Very happy with this purchase and looking forward to trying it in the field.

Count me in as surprised with S&B ammo not working as well.
As for the revolver it is a nice looking one...glad you found it.
Stag grips might be a nice touch , if you are wanting a different look....
Andy

Agreed about the ammo- I've always had excellent luck with S&B before. I suppose anyone can have an off-day, and while the hits look good I can't be 100% sure it's the ammo until I've tested other brands.

Yeah, stag would look excellent!

Interesting gun. There is an extensive thread on the firing line about them with an extensive conversation including the builder/designers grandson. It mentions that the company was sued for patent infringement by Ruger over the transfer bar design. That would indicate safety carrying a live round under the hammer should be OK. It did mention that the revolvers are built to such high tolerances that they didn't like "high" primers. Maby that is the S&B ammo issue. I have been firing it for years without an issue. There was also a conversation about the superb accuracy. The post is something like 10 years old and they said some parts were getting difficult to find then. I am a short barrel pistol guy but that long one will have a great sight radius helping the accuracy. Looks like a fun gun and I am a huge 44 Mag fan. I am loading Trail Boss for moderate (44 special level) loads in my 629 using magnum brass saving heavy loads for "social" work.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top