JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Saviors of the Earth have discovered "repurposing." It makes my laugh. I grew up with this concept. It was and is a way of life. My parents grew up during the Depression, when I was a child in the 1950's we were still living by that credo. And never stopped.

The Saviors probably don't get a newspaper, so they don't know the many uses it has after reading. But those trees in the forest don't fall in vain around my home. We still get two newspapers, I rarely put any in the recycling.

I've been engaged in a big tree project lately. Of course, all the big stuff gets split, carried and stacked for burning. But the little stuff ("Short and Curlies") have a section of their own; fire doesn't care what shape the wood is, it all burns. Not even the sawdust gets wasted. It either gets used for fire starting, or it goes on the ground to make trails or for compost.

The light switch on the wall is there for a purpose. You leave the room, you turn the light off.

Mrs. Merkt and I aren't exactly poor. But we hate to waste. And we hate to pay high prices. We are no strangers to the Goodwill Outlet store, the DI store, or St Vincent de Paul. Value Village is too upscale. Mrs. Merkt doesn't think twice about buying a second hand clothing item she likes. Yet there are some people who think this is absolutely not to be done. "Someone else wore that." Yeah, so, you run it through the washing machine and all sins are forgiven.

I often stop at Habitat for Humanity before I got to Home Depot or Lowe's.

Mrs. Merkt drives the "new" car, it's a 2012. I drive the next newer one, and it's a 2006. Yet our vehicles get proper maintenance. Because in the long run, that saves money. Cheaping out on vehicle maintenance will come around and bite you on the bee-hind.

One reason my marriage to Mrs. Merkt has endured for almost 49 years is because we are so well matched on this matter. But I am no true cheapskate, because I love giving money and things away to my family members. For one thing, being thrifty allows me to do it.

So I guess buying used guns is no big deal, huh?

My wife and I similarly grew up with Depression survivors. In our case, Great-Grandparents, Grandparents, and Parents.

I am the "hoarder" and she is the "scavenger" because I keep things around to repurpose and she picks up things for the same purpose. She doesn't have to hoard, because my hoarding provides a pool of resources for her scavenging!

My hoard includes items obtained by the three previous generations, and I regularly use items that they left me in projects.

As to vehicles, my pickup is a 2001, and the wife drives a Honda we bought new in 2009. We bought a well-used 1992 Honda Accord for the kids to drive to school, partially because it had a stick shift. It will pass 300,000 miles by June, and we keep it in good condition. Both are finishing College now, one with a Masters, and neither wants to let "Gertrude" go.

On the subject of later generations: our kids complained about having to keep cell phones and other gadgets long after their contemporaries had moved to newer versions. Now they seem comfortable keeping "outdated" items, probably because they now have to pay for them! At least they learned that it isn't necessary to have the latest and greatest.

Not the same.

The Saviours form of repurposing is held up by rabid self-righteousness. Other examples you mention are driven by necessity, rationality, and other things.

So the behaviors may appear externally similar, but they have vastly different natures.

Not the same.

The Saviours form of repurposing is held up by rabid self-righteousness. Other examples you mention are driven by necessity, rationality, and other things.

So the behaviors may appear externally similar, but they have vastly different natures.
Ultimately they can both help the planet. I would encourage rich and poor alike to try buying used first, if you have to buy something. That may result in a little less stuff being produced and a little less resource depletion from the planet.

Getting the max life out of what you buy may also help. My odometer is at roughly 200k. I hope to get 300k before engine or transmission goes.

This must be why I really like people around here! We think alike. But then I was raised by depression era parents too. The tow vehicle for the boat is an '84 GMC1500 that has a relatively new motor, 2012. I got that new. The main car is an '05 CRV with 128,000 on the odo. The problem is, I'm not doing o much as I used to, so all the little things everywhere should be disposed of. My father never threw anything away if he thought there might be a use for it. When they both had passed there was a hell of a mess that needed to be taken care. We should keep in mind that in cases like that, when we quite doing things with the stuff collected, it should be cleared out. It's tough on the kids.

I grew up on a farm in the '70s and '80s. We "recycled" and "repurposed" everything. The crazy environmentalists were the enemy, radical loons trying to destroy our way of life.

Then when I grew up and moved to "the city" for work, I saw how city folks lived. The unbelievable consumerism and waste surprised me. Huge garbage cans on the curbs every week, full of trash. I remember a small lawn mower sitting next to the trash cans one day when a friend and I were headed out to the woods. He saw the homeowner by his house, stopped and rolled down his window, asked the guy if he was throwing out the mower. Yup, got a new one. Nope, nothing wrong with the old one; it's just old. Yes, you can have it; it's going in the trash. My friend took it home and got it running just fine.

That shocked me. When I was a young kid, we had an old mower that was dying. My dad was too busy with the farm to look at it for my mom. There was an old guy in town that everyone knew, who tinkered with small engines. My mom asked my dad if he minded her taking it in to him; yes, so long as it doesn't cost much.

She did, and told the old guy that she couldn't afford to spend more than $20, just a very basic tune-up please, to get it running. When she went back to pick it up a week or two later, he had it running, but had replaced the muffler, sharpened the blade, etc. - $60. My dad threw a fit. Money was tight and $60 was a big deal. I remember how embarrassed my mom was when she took the mower back and asked for her check back.

That sort of upbringing makes an impact on who you are. There's nothing wrong with having nice stuff, but I personally have little interest in having a new vehicle or a big fancy house, even if we could afford it. It still shocks me a little when I see someone post on here about how they don't buy old or used guns, because of the lack of warranty or factory support. Used guns were all I ever bought until a few years back, and I got pretty good at fixing stuff.

Anyhow, I understand what you're talking about. We live the same way. I have been getting better at throwing stuff out as I get older. I can't stand to have clutter around, even if it may still be usable. The sad part is, everyone has so much that unless what you have is really nice, nobody wants it, even for free. I read somewhere that most of the clothes that are donated to Goodwill get trashed; only the very best make it on the racks for sale.

that most of the clothes that are donated to Goodwill get trashed; only the very best make it on the racks for sale.
Yeah; and they price them at near new retail prices 🙄 :rolleyes:

Edit. The only thing worth getting at most Goodwills... kids toys, some furniture, vintage craft items (sewing notions, patterns, yarn, sometimes vintage sewing machine accessories), and good condition records from bands you like. Otherwise, I'll just go to the smaller thrift/resale shops or yard sales.

This must be why I really like people around here! We think alike. But then I was raised by depression era parents too. The tow vehicle for the boat is an '84 GMC1500 that has a relatively new motor, 2012. I got that new. The main car is an '05 CRV with 128,000 on the odo. The problem is, I'm not doing o much as I used to, so all the little things everywhere should be disposed of. My father never threw anything away if he thought there might be a use for it. When they both had passed there was a hell of a mess that needed to be taken care. We should keep in mind that in cases like that, when we quite doing things with the stuff collected, it should be cleared out. It's tough on the kids.
I from time to time have to force myself to clean out "stuff". Growing up with little I got used to making do with what I could get my hands on. Every so often I have to go through the stuff in junk boxes and force myself to get rid of it. This site came in handy for that not long after I found it. Had some time off and went through the garage and set aside anything I had not used in years. Threw a bunch of it up here for anyone who wanted it and a lot of it found new homes with people who could use it. When Wife and I moved last I had a couple 8ft tables out front of the house with FREE stuff piled on day after day as I thinned out the stuff. Wife's father just passed and at least for him she has help. 7 siblings all got together and went through the house taking whatever anyone wanted. Went surprisingly well with no real arguments. We thought we were going to have to have a huge yard sale to get rid of all of it.

Anyhow, I understand what you're talking about. We live the same way. I have been getting better at throwing stuff out as I get older. I can't stand to have clutter around, even if it may still be usable. The sad part is, everyone has so much that unless what you have is really nice, nobody wants it, even for free. I read somewhere that most of the clothes that are donated to Goodwill get trashed; only the very best make it on the racks for sale.
For a long time, I would save things that I thought I'd have some use for, maybe. Now that I'm getting older, that list has gotten shorter. But sometimes it works against me. I may waste time looking for something that in the meantime, I've gotten rid of.

In this region, Goodwill Industries has a network of retail stores. Stuff that doesn't sell at retail gets shipped to Goodwill Outlet stores and is sold by the pound. Some of the clothing unsold at retail that goes to the Outlet stores gets bought by scavengers and gets sold online. Some goes to Africa for resale, there is a small network of West Africans who engage in this trade. it slacked off some during Covid due to high shipping costs, but it's on again, I hear. The textiles that don't sell at the Outlet stores get "ragged out." That is, sent for textile recycling. There is some controversy about shipping donated (for sale or as charity) clothing to Africa. Because it puts local manufacturers at a disadvantage, local jobs, etc. I suppose a lot of new clothing sold in Africa now comes straight from China.

Last Edited:
Just concerned, you sounded angry or upset. Not sure what your context was.
Oh, no worries. Sometimes when I'm outside working, I get to thinking about things and I'm tempted to share them here. Some of my posts get long. They aren't required reading.

By the way Xaevian, kudos for being a very consistent welcomer of new members. I've noticed your activity on that forum here and you are to be commended.

In this region, Goodwill Industries has a network of retail stores. Stuff that doesn't sell at retail gets shipped to Goodwill Outlet stores "THE BINS" and is sold by the pound.
Boy howdy! Do you like to look at "Stuff" Can you appreciate The People of Walmart? A trip to The Bins is something everyone ought to do at least ounce. We even find a little something we can use immediately, for a couple/five dollars, on occasion. We go about once a month when we can't think of anything else to do.

Take some nitrile gloves along if you wish. Wifey uses 'em, I prefer gloveless. :oops:

I'll ad something to this to make you want to go see. All the bins are on wheels. The bins are waist high, fairly shallow, 16", and maybe 5'W X 12'L? There are metal locators on the floor to keep them from moving around. As the bins get picked through, they replace them. Employees come out and push bins into the back room, maybe four at a time? As the people need to move the tables through the people they start "TABLE", "TABLE", TABLE" repeatedly to get people moved out of the way. Same thing happens when the new, full tables come back out. What's special is thy have the shoppers trained to stand respectful, waiting for the "OKAY", all in a line around where the table will be while the table gets into place. Then there's a "frenzy" with the shoppers getting into the fresh "Bin".

Last Edited:
Boy howdy! Do you like to look at "Stuff" Can you appreciate The People of Walmart? A trip to The Bins is something everyone ought to do at least ounce. We even find a little something we can use immediately, for a couple/five dollars, on occasion. We go about once a month when we can't think of anything else to do.
Yes, with this narrative, you prove you've definitely been there. I'm not highbrow, but Scum of the Earth is the phrase that comes to mind about many of these people. I'm retired, I have an excuse, but many of the habitués just hang around all day, apparently not employed. Yet when I was going regularly, I met and befriended a number of really good people. Meaning, real friend, not electronic, online "friend." I repaired one bookseller's van and he gave me some good books. He'd wait around for hours for the new books to come out. We'd get in some interesting conversations about film which he was very knowledgeable on. He used to teach improv acting classes.

Walmart shoppers are GW Outlet shoppers without a sense of adventure.

I rarely go to Goodwill Outlet now. Like you and your missus, we used to go partially for entertainment value. "Mira!" But like so many things, the entire scene has changed. In large part due to the Covid event. Goodwill has gotten more savvy about what they put out in the blue bins now. They skim off a lot of stuff for auction now. Also, some stuff never makes it to the floor because they "wholesale" it to "dealers" in larger bulk lots, like Westpacs on pallet size lots.

Then there is the fact that the word has gotten out over the years, more and more people know about it. So the pool of merch has shrunk, and the number of scavengers has increased.

Finally, after Covid, prices at the Outlet shot up appreciably.

I filled in Covid quarantine time selling stuff online that I'd piled up from trips to GW Outlet.

Take some nitrile gloves along if you wish. Wifey uses 'em, I prefer gloveless. :oops:
Early on, I started wearing gloves. Not just nitrile, but something more substantial. There can be broken glass lurking under other objects.

Then there's a "frenzy" with the shoppers getting into the fresh "Bin".
Oh yeah, at the Everett store, they used to push and shove. People would argue over things. "But I SAW it first" type thing. I've got quite a bag of stories about this place. Oddly enough, the store on Holgate in Seattle has been more civilized.

Yes, with this narrative, you prove you've definitely been there. I'm not highbrow, but Scum of the Earth is the phrase that comes to mind about many of these people. I'm retired, I have an excuse, but many of the habitués just hang around all day, apparently not employed. Yet when I was going regularly, I met and befriended a number of really good people. Meaning, real friend, not electronic, online "friend." I repaired one bookseller's van and he gave me some good books. He'd wait around for hours for the new books to come out. We'd get in some interesting conversations about film which he was very knowledgeable on. He used to teach improv acting classes.

Walmart shoppers are GW Outlet shoppers without a sense of adventure.

I rarely go to Goodwill Outlet now. Like you and your missus, we used to go partially for entertainment value. "Mira!" But like so many things, the entire scene has changed. In large part due to the Covid event. Goodwill has gotten more savvy about what they put out in the blue bins now. They skim off a lot of stuff for auction now. Also, some stuff never makes it to the floor because they "wholesale" it to "dealers" in larger bulk lots, like Westpacs on pallet size lots.

Then there is the fact that the word has gotten out over the years, more and more people know about it. So the pool of merch has shrunk, and the number of scavengers has increased.

Finally, after Covid, prices at the Outlet shot up appreciably.

I filled in Covid quarantine time selling stuff online that I'd piled up from trips to GW Outlet.

Early on, I started wearing gloves. Not just nitrile, but something more substantial. There can be broken glass lurking under other objects.

Oh yeah, at the Everett store, they used to push and shove. People would argue over things. "But I SAW it first" type thing. I've got quite a bag of stories about this place. Oddly enough, the store on Holgate in Seattle has been more civilized.
WOW! You are serious! :D I hope no one thinks I was denigrating any one there? Certainly there are scum everywhere, but the only issue I have with the people at the bins? Stay the hell back for 10 seconds, or less, 'til I move a couple feet!

Twice no on little road trips Wifey and i say a sign for the bins and said "WHAT THE HEY?" It was Milwaukie and Vancouver East. The parking lots were full to the last space! With 2-3 cars just hanging on a row waiting. For someone to come out! Our outlet is up on Airport Way and there's always plenty of spots to park.

Twice no on little road trips Wifey and i say a sign for the bins and said "WHAT THE HEY?" It was Milwaukie and Vancouver East. The parking lots were full to the last space! With 2-3 cars just hanging on a row waiting. For someone to come out! Our outlet is up on Airport Way and there's always plenty of spots to park.
This is another reason I've quit going. Which is simply an outgrowth of the increase in traffic by word of mouth. But it's like any other good thing that gets run into the ground. Good things never last because too many people pile on.

A good many of the scavengers are there for reselling. Mostly online, as the "good" face-to-face venues (such as swap meets) are mostly gone. A consequential result of online selling. These people can be very competitive, to say the least, because it's their rice bowl involved. Their existence is just part of the "gig economy" where, for them, such activity has replaced legitimate work.

Then there are the compulsive hoarders who are attracted to GW Outlet. You can pick these out by their vehicles in the parking lot. The ones where the entire interior of the vehicle is crammed to the headliner with junk, with only the barest of space left for a driver. Often with zero visibility of surroundings to the driver through window glass. One can only imagine what the inside of their dwelling looks like. If they have one; their vehicle may be it.

On one visit to GW Outlet, I found some Luger parts in the bottom of a bin. Take a pistol apart, many people wouldn't know what the pieces are. GW gets all kinds of stuff donated to them; I'm sure the occasional gun gets found in the sorting process. They wouldn't knowingly put them out for sale.

Precious metals sometimes make their way onto the sales floor, unknowingly. The sorters in back don't always catch things marked "sterling" and so on. Or old fountain pens with gold nibs and fittings. One person I know found one of those belt buckles with a silver dollar stuck in it. I found a WW2 era cased Silver Star medal there once. I'm convinced that some of the stuff that goes to GW Outlet never makes it to one of their retail stores. Meaning, some donations go in raw form directly to the Outlets.

A good many of the scavengers are there for reselling. Mostly online, as the "good" face-to-face venues (such as swap meets)
There is the monthly Polk County Flea Market, and I believe Eugene has a twice a month thing called Piccadilly Market? Not sure if Portland has such a thing. But there are Antique Malls with a similar vibe (vendor spaces for reselling), most famously in the town of Aurora. My brother and I run a space in Engelberg's Antiks in Salem.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top