JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are there less problems with the new ones. Did Ruger learn any lessons? For example: 1. steel lips on the clips and a better trigger mechanism? Would appreciate your input as I am looking for a nice 22lr for the grandson. Yes he will walk before he runs. I have a nice single shot for him to learn on. It has peep sights, 2 of them that can be flipped back and forth. And yes this is a little early for him, but I have to do it now so I can play with it. This is the way it should be, right?

Respectfully,
Chuck

In order for me to decide if my New Ruger Ten22, is as good as my 1976 Ten22 I'll have to put about 20,000 rounds through it. That one Never had a Problem One, not one.

I cut my Gun Smithing teeth, working a very slow & careful 10 hours with just three Tools:

1. A nylon faced vice.
2. An Eze-Lap 1200 grit Diamond File
3. A Black Marks All marker.

I also had the article from Guns & Ammo on tuning the Ruger 10-22 trigger, excellent article. I cut my groups down to 1/4" @ 25 yards...

I often used 22 Magnum cartridges, fired in my Ruger Single Six FOR TARGETS!!!!! Hammered upside down, into the "target stump", I counted my points like this:

Even a nick, on the cartridge, 7, cut at least Half of the cartidge, 8. Cut a "C" but leave cartidge ~together~, 9, & if I seperated base of cartridge, from the body of cartridge, it was a Ten.

My score for Ten shots was Never below 97, as the man said in that Cowboy Movie I watched...

"No brag, Just FACTS", today, my tired old eyes feel just fine, if I can hit Golf Balls.... They are a reat target, just about the size of a Tree Squirrel's head, if you follow my meaning....

philip,
In the Boon Docks of Oregon... In Washington, in the North East area: Republic, WA.... i was known as the ~Great White Squirrel Hunter~ :D

My personal opinion is that a CZ straight out of the box will shoot circles around a 10/22 without mods.
Lots of great information on .22s here RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

My CZ 452 Varmint will shoot 1/2" groups @ 50 yards with a scope and a bipod being the only mods.

CZV16.jpg

Me too!!!! And no one compares Bolt Actions to self loaders....

Just saying....

With my $10.00 trigger job, i can & have, multiple times, placed ten rounds in ten seconds on a moving soda pop can (hung on a tree branch, light wind...) Oh, the group of Ten was covered by a Quarter... Now, a Single shot, then, work the Bolt, then fire the CZ, and repeat as needed, is just not the same... In any manner.

The Great White Squirrel title, was given me, when I was building a 2 story log cabin, Republic, WA, when the sun got to a certain point in the sky... I picked up my Ten22, loaded, pointed at a tree full of squirrels, located and shot the Six largest, in locate, point & shoot rapid fire, all head shots.

I then cleaned them & quartered them, about ten to twelve minutes, after lots of practice, handed them to my wife, and went back to work.

Dinner was Sun Down, on the very top of a 4100 foot mountain. I could often set one log, or at least Prep for set, while dinner was cooking.

We ate Squirrel at least Six days a week, having no real meathod to keep meat longer. If we had to go to town, we always brought home the locally grown Beef, Pork or Buffalo, from the butcher, who raised his own meats!!!!

Ahh, that was the life, and dinner off the tree, easy. I also did an occaisional hunt, for Grouse, and local rabbits, but that was like "time off" and I seldom took that, we had a heavy Winter coming at us, and were living in a plywood shanty, which became our roof !!!!

philip,
The Great White Squirrel Hunter, living in the BoonDocks, in the distance are foothills, reminding me of that Mountain.

I have a 1980's 10-22 with the aluminum trigger guard. About ten years ago I was paid to eliminate the ground squirrel population at a dude ranch. I installed a trigger kit from Brownells mounted a big scope and placed a business card under the barrel at the barrel clamp. with bulk ammo I was making hits on squirrels at 110 yards.
I have since changed out the barrel, added a tactical mag release, over sized safety, P-rail on the receiver and a tactical stock so that it approximates my carbine.
The 10-22 can be built for any purpose you need it to fill

I have a 1965(second year) carbine and a 2011 stainless/synthetic. Both are great guns. If anything, the 1965 is much better. I have never seen a 10/22 factory mag with plastic lips(that doesn't mean they don't exist. A lot of different models were released between '65 and '11), only the aftermarket ones. I would say the metal trigger guard on the '65 is "better" that the plastic one on the newer gun. In my opinion, Ruger didn't have anything to "learn". That would be the Mini-14, which has been corrected. It's hard to beat a 10/22 for the money.

Ruger 10/22 rifles are great and they make an excellent platform to expand from as your tastes or needs change.
There is almost a limitless amount of modifications that you can do to these rifles if you choose to do so.

The new rifles have polymer trigger housings, which does not affect the trigger or rifles performance.
Some people prefer the metal trigger housing, but it truly makes no difference in function or when doing a trigger job, in my opinion.

The Ruger 10/22 magazines have stainless steel feed lips on the 10 and 25 round factory magazines and both can be disassembled to be cleaned as needed.

I stay away from other kinds of 10/22 magazines, they may or may not work properly and most can not be cleaned easily.

The factory trigger pull is a bit on the heavy side, for a 22 rifle. The trigger pull will range from 7 to 8 pounds, which is good for kids just starting out, but to heavy for experienced shooters that want better accuracy.

I do trigger / action jobs on the 10/22 rifles to get a lighter trigger pull and a smoother action. I do this using only the factory parts and springs. It is fairly easy to do, but it takes 6 - 8 hours, depending on how smooth you want to make every surface. I radius the bolt, polish the hammer and sear and other parts, to a mirror bright finish.
Once done, I end up with a much lighter and very crisp trigger pull of 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 pounds and an action that is smooth as silk.

The trigger job can be done with the metal or polymer trigger group housing. Ruger did use a 1 piece hammer / bushing assembly, but they changed back to the 3 piece assembly, which is much better in my opinion.

Here is my latest build from parts and pieces picked up from a variety of places and from the outside it looks like a normal factory 10/22, except for the picatinny rail and grip, I mounted on the stock.

The accuracy of this rifle is very good for a stock barrel, bolt and cheap ammunition.

Using bulk CCI Blazer, we shot these groups at 50 yards.
The first group I fired was 5 rounds, slow fire and measured 7/16".

My dad shot this group at 50 yards, it was 5 rounds rapid fire and measured 3/4".

I think you will be more than happy with the Ruger 10/22 for your grandson, but you will probably end up getting one for yourself as well. :s0114:

1-001_zpsdab7ac7c.jpg 1-010_zpsfda59a83.jpg 1-011_zpsf4113149.jpg

A 10/22 is a great rifle. One of it's benefits is the ability to change parts out to adapt it without any gunsmith skills. It can be a tack driver with a little work, but it still shoots far more accurately that most people when it comes right out of the box!

Many, many stocks are available so it can be adjusted to the shooter -- especially useful if the shooter is growing.

Sights can be changed out to improve them (NoDak, TechSights, Williams, etc. Can have Picatinny rails and irons).

Triggers can be tuned to perfection but the regular one is fine.

I'd stick with the factory 10 round rotary magazines over the extended models. The extended models get in the way of proper support hand form and force the shooter to get high off the ground when prone. The rotary's work great, no reason to mess with them!

Also, check out the Appleseed Project for good, safe training!

I have a 1977 10/22 bought new It has shot thousands and thousands of rounds. 2 years ago it stove piped, I wiped out the stove pipe and the next round stove piped again! I looked at the jam and found the extractor almost falling out. I got home and ordered a Volquartson exreactor from Brownells and 3 days later I took the rifle apart and replaced the extractor which was a 10 minute job "yeah I am slow". Cleaned the rifle for the 4th time since I have owned the rifle. I like the 10/22 for what it is and what you can make, it the sky seems to be the limit to modifications. More fun than an AR and in comparison costs pennies on the dollar.

I still have the original Eze Lap 1200 grit Diamond file. They are a tad more expensive at today's prices. Add a Marks All marker, probably already owned, and a vice, if you do not have plastic lined jaws, cut a Gallon Milk carton down.

You really don't need to buy those high priced "V" parts, or any other company... Ruger's parts are fine!

1. Learn the dis-assemby, assembly process.
2. Coat the sears of the hammer & trigger with Marks All type pen. Cover the entire roundness & the entire width of each.
3. Assemble, and dry fire, or take to the range and shoot a group.
4. Dissasemble. Look at the scraped off ink, upon the sears. THAT is the High metal, left from a "quick grinding" process at the factory.
5. Take the Eze-Lap, and staying parellel to the sear face(s), with a motion falling its curved radius, stroke it a couple times. Do Not Change the Radius, at any place on the sear.
6. Re-Mark the sears, I like Two different colors, Black&Red are good, every other time use the other color!!!
7. Re-assemble, repeat fire the rifle. Dry fire is not a problem, in this process, you only need a couple trigger pulls.
8. REPEAT The Above, until you are feeling a nice smooth trigger pull.

That is it. For the Trigger. You can do the same to the firing pins sides, which will often have the Stamped metal edges left on it.... Remove until smooth.

This is Not ROCKET SURGERY !!!! The only caution, has been given:

Never Change the Radius of any Sear !!!!

Slow is good !!!

I chose the 1200 grit for its Fine Cut, I would not suggest any courser diamond file, nor the use of a metal file, or Dremel tool, for Sear Work EVER.

ONE last thought, after you see how the "high grind" widens out, you can see how Marking the entire trigger grouping could benefit your work.... You do that, do some target practice after your Trigger Sears are finished.... See the group size reduced ( !!!!! ) from just a smooth trigger, and then dis-assemble to see what else has got shiney marks, from that "high grind" left by Ruger, there is a "blue print" for the trigger group, but there is also a ~passing grade~ Of Minimum Needed grinding.

The work being done, is getting closer to the "blue print" specs, that is all one is doing.

Those expensive "V" Co. Parts, are all CNC'd to those "blue print" specs and you Pay for it.
(You can do Ruger Single Action triggers the same way... And I have done Security Sixes that way to...)

philip,
in the BoonDocks....

I bought a 10/22 last year and it shot just fine out-of-the-box: accurate; dependable; no FTAnythings. The only issue I found is that it is very tempting to tinker with it, sometimes solving 'problems' that don't really need to be solved. It is very easy to mod everything, even for tool challenged people like me.

The 10/22 is a great rifle out of the box. You can have a lot of fun with it just as it comes from the factory. Or, you can go crazy and build a race gun if you want. The difference is shooting the Pepsi can at 100 yards, or dotting the i in Pepsi. ;)

10222.jpg

@ redmond ..... A wise man ideed. I say that with all sincerity.

I have been, what in the ~past~ Wa called a tinker. I once took my adopted GrandMother's alarm clock apart, my age: Fourteen YO, I told her I could fix it...

I did. :D

I wrote the above Ten 22 trigger job instructions, From Memory, and I have done Five Ten22's in 25 years, along with an equal number of Ruger single actions, and that Security Six...

One of my gunsmith projects, my first Ruger Single Six, is owned by a retired US ARMY Pistol Team Champion..... Who swears it is His Best Pistol, ever.

So, folks, do not do above, if you do not think you are capable, and always look in the Chamber Thingie, and make sure there is no Bang Noise Device, blocking the hole in the long round metal thingie, etc. No Law Suing ofthe writer of this bunch of electrons....

And redmond, thanks for writing that.... You are correct, do not tinker if your not a tinker,er :D

philip,
In the BoonDocks, filled with mirth, because his daughter is on the phone telling Dad really great & funny news, so additional mirth was added, for your enjoyment!!!!!

I have a 10-22 from Bi-Mart, don't remember when but it was $125. I've shot lots of ground squirrels with it. Its stock and plenty accurate. Killed one at 90 yds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top