JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i traded my Mini for an old bushmaster.... i liked it but mooting an optic was going to require drill / tap.. magazines were 3-4x the price. it seemed not to have as many stoppage issues / ejection/feeding/ etc.. but i still feel like i got the better end of the deal.

You know what pulls at my humor string? That there's probably not a one of us here that would turn their nose up at a Remington, Winchester or you name it big game hunting rifle in .308, 06 .300 mag (you name your choice here) that could hold a heart/lung sized group off hand @ 200 yards, which I'm pretty sure both the AR and 580 mini could do. But when you start comparing which is better between these two the hackles sure come up don't they?
Take them both off the bench fellas and into real world situations and I'd bet they would be pretty damned even.
The average shooter becomes pretty much just that- average when the shooting starts and situations arise, there's no bench and at best only a tree to shoot from.
Better? More reliable becomes a whole different word all at once.
Is it the rifle, or the man behind the rifle he knows well?
I used to watch the old man pull off amazing shots with an old Eddystone -06. He had just one, but knew that old rifle and it's capabilities and the deer and elk that filled the freezer every winter were all the proof that the old Lyman peep sighted bang stick and that old man were well acquainted.
Perhaps what's better in the hands of one isn't really all that to another. Choice is a beautiful thing.
I've made my choice for my own reasons and can respect others for their's, but unless you've actually shot a mans rifle I find it awful arrogant to insist it trash.

You know what pulls at my humor string? That there's probably not a one of us here that would turn their nose up at a Remington, Winchester or you name it big game hunting rifle in .308, 06 .300 mag (you name your choice here) that could hold a heart/lung sized group off hand @ 200 yards, which I'm pretty sure both the AR and 580 mini could do. But when you start comparing which is better between these two the hackles sure come up don't they?
Take them both off the bench fellas and into real world situations and I'd bet they would be pretty damned even.
The average shooter becomes pretty much just that- average when the shooting starts and situations arise, there's no bench and at best only a tree to shoot from.
I used to watch the old man pull off amazing shots with an old Eddystone -06. He had just one, but knew that old rifle and it's capabilities and the deer and elk that filled the freezer every winter were all the proof that the old Lyman peep sighted bang stick and that old man were well acquainted.
Perhaps what's better in the hands of one isn't really all that to another. Choice is a beautiful thing.
I've made my choice for my own reasons and can respect others for their's, but unless you've actually shot a mans rifle I find it awful arrogant to insist it trash.

If anyone has any guns they just hate....let me know....I'll drive a pretty penny and pay the FFL fee to take them off your hands......TOTALLY AGREE.....see?

Somewhat of a combination. From an objective point of view, some designs can handle more than others. Its subjective when it comes to whether or not a person knows enough about the rifle to take advantage of that.
Not really. When mentioning accuracy between rifles its more about mechanical accuracy. Some guns are more accurate than other, or at least have the capability to be more accurate. It is what it is. Off-hand is more about the shooter's capability, not the rifle. I agree the average shooter won't shoot a sub-MOA off-hand to its full capability, but that's not what's being compared with accuracy. That's just a matter of whether or not the rifle's capability for accuracy matters to the individual. Some have standards to go by based on what they can do, some are happy with a minimum even if they can do better. Some just want to hear a bang.
That there's probably not a one of us here that would turn their nose up at a Remington, Winchester or you name it big game hunting rifle in .308, 06 .300 mag
Sure I would... I'd prefer a 8mm over a .308 when it comes to bolt actions. :p:rolleyes:.
Everyone who has used a Mini-14 and an AR-15 already know
the Mini-14 sucks:eek:
Of course they suck... The money out of your wallet. All guns can do that. :rolleyes:

Both good guns.

Never an issue with my mini 14 or 30. Sheep have no complaints. Coyotes definite dislike for the mini, being dead.

No complaints from the wild dog pack that ran cattle through fences, about my old Colt AR. Their carcasses were disked under after the cotton was harvested.

Satisfied customers.

I never said it couldn't be done but the average - uneducated/untrained AR builder - can easily spend twice the price of a Mini just trying to get the right parts.

AND that doesn't take into account the hours of his/her time doing the "Built" but then their time isn't worth anything, anyway unless they're flipping burgers at the Golden Arches since that is likely their "Skill Set" according to you.

I've taught at least a couple dozen people how to Build/Rebuild/Repair ARs while I was on Active Duty because that was my Profession and they have ALL turned out some Very fine Rifles but the basic problem was that every Rifle was still nothing but a .223 Remington/5.56 NATO and they weren't anything more than Varmint Killers.

That's all I have to say.

For me it's the hours spent building, and compiling said parts that makes me love it. It's a hobby and an addiction, and you're right an expensive one at that... My last build being the most fun, because I completed it without spending any money beyond the selling/trading of stuff from my "toy box" that Ive had for years. It is entirely possible to build a sub moa AR for under $500... in fact I have. And I've put nearly $2000 into one that I'm still not done with... But it brings me joy to both build, and shoot them all. There is an extra sense of pride when the range goes cold and youre walking back with a target covered in clovers that were sent by a rifle you built. I built my own Salmon/Stealhead rods, and I have the honor of being able to say I've caught a 21lb Steehead with a fishing rod I built from Lami blank... DIY is very rewarding, but unfortunately it's becoming a lost art in this age disposable everything, when all you have to do is push a button and it's free two day shipping to your doorstep.

Don't need to spend twice the amount of a Mini to get the right parts. That aside going to comment on the bolded parts.
  1. Hours? Not sure about that. Don't recall it ever taking hours. Even so, the time spent building a rifle the way they want it is not a waste of time. In regards to the comment about flipping burgers, that's a hyperbole.
  2. .223 is more effective than people give it credit for. It isn't just for rabbits and squirrels, it can take game such as deer and wild boar. Another hyperbole.
You do you. I'm not sitting here saying the Mini-14 sucks, just saying that there's more to the AR than you're giving it credit for.

.300 BLK is clearly the superior AR round. :rolleyes:

The .300 BLK? The only advantage it has over the the 6.8SPC is in the sub sonic realm, other than that I think the SPC beats it (narrowly) in every category, FPS and ft.lbf. I could be wrong though:rolleyes:

The .300 BLK? The only advantage it has over the the 6.8SPC is in the sub sonic realm, other than that I think the SPC beats it (narrowly) in every category, FPS and ft.lbf. I could be wrong though:rolleyes:
just get one of each... along with a 22 nosler, 6.5 grendel, a 458 socom, a 50 beowulf...maybe a 22lr coversion. Ar10s in 308, 6.5CM, 300 win mag... if you want, get a few extra loweres to switch around... One or two Sbr stamped, one for pistols, one with a bump stock for wasting ammo..
Try that with a Mini!

Clearly you are. The .300 BLK is best in everything including sniping. :rolleyes::D

Nah, if it wasn't for my preference for a retro build I'd gone with 6.8 SPC for a build.

Maybe back in the day when the A Team was cool and you couldn't afford an AR you bought a Mini.

View attachment 373178

My first Mini looked like the one above except it was semi auto only of course. LOVED that rifle. Was plenty accurate. Many a yote fell to it, but I sold it off to buy my first SP-1. Wish I'd waited and kept it. The SP1 had the edge on accuracy but not by much. That SP cost me $431.00 with 100 rns of Win white box from Shooter's Supply back in the early 80's. Ah well, the mistakes of youth..

Neither is worth a hoot.... No ram rod or flint / percussion ignition.
We all should know that the breech loading self contained cartridge is a passing fad that will never catch on.
:eek::p:D

Just kidding.

Is this debate or others of its type still a big thing?
Why does it matter if someone likes a different gun than you?
Can they:
Shoot it well
Shoot it safely
Then if so ... Let 'em be.
Andy

Unless it's an old rusty smoke pole:D
Hey Now!
I have several old smoke poles ... but none of them are rusty! :D
Andy
DSC05467.jpg