JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That van was so discrete when trailing a bad guy.
Or when trying to hide from Colonel Decker. Always thought it was funny that since they were on the run from the government, Hannibal would wear crazy elaborate desguises when meeting new clients... but they traveled around in such a conspicuous vehicle.

Again, back on target, of the two, I'd take a Mini-14 because it was a. "Gunsmiths'" Gun and you could improve what was there without spending a fortune buying somebody else's bad parts. Of course you had to be a real Gunsmith to make that happen!!!:cool::cool::cool:

And I am confident that the 14 or so "real gunsmiths" out there are thrilled with their Mini-14's. Knowing that your Mini-14 that you have painstakingly modified might be able to compete with the AR that someone with zero training or mechanical skill was able to assemble from parts.:rolleyes:

And I am confident that the 14 or so "real gunsmiths" out there are thrilled with their Mini-14's. Knowing that your Mini-14 that you have painstakingly modified might be able to compete with the AR that someone with zero training or mechanical skill was able to assemble from parts.:rolleyes:
And still get it to shoot sub-MOA. :rolleyes:

And which may or may not blowup the time it is Fired and likely won't be able to shoot a Minute of Man group at 50'. And if it does hit the Bad Guy it doesn't mean he'll go down let alone stay down!!!

I'll still take an M-14(not an M-14) over either one any day of the and an Armalite AR-10 if I can't have the Light Machine Gun(M-14).

And which may or may not blowup the time it is Fired and likely won't be able to shoot a Minute of Man group at 50'. And if it does hit the Bad Guy it doesn't mean he'll go down let alone stay down!!!

I'll still take an M-14(not an M-14) over either one any day of the and an Armalite AR-10 if I can't have the Light Machine Gun(M-14).
The thing about the AR is that it doesn't require much skill to put together. Just a decent guide and tools. If I wasn't invested in building a FAL or two (and that I prefer retro builds) I could have built an AR for the sole purpose of getting sub-MOA groups with little effort beyond getting good parts.

The AR is one of the guns that doesn't really require a gunsmith to put together or make accurate. A quality barrel and optic, along with quality internals, and it can be robust and accurate.

The fact that it doesn't take a "Real"gunsmith to build or modify an AR is what makes it superior. As long as you use a good barrel and bolt, and the headspace is good, no worries... Worst case is it will not function. The most likely mistakes happen in the fire control group, when people put the springs in wrong. usually resulting in light primer strikes, or FTFs. It's actually harder to put a piece of Ikea furniture together. If you can follow the instructions and put together a Kullen, or a Koppang...you can probably build an AR15...
When a father wants to teach his kid how to fix a car, he buys him a POS, and over the course of a year or so they replace and rebuild it until the kid knows that car inside and out... and dad knows that if the kid has a problem later on and dad isn't there to help..kid will know exactly what to do. Same thing if you build your own gun... you get an intimate understanding of every part of it... why it's there, what it does etc. you will be able to diagnose and fix a problem on the fly and get your weapon back in the fight on your own. Show me an instance where a "homemade" AR 15 blew up and caused any harm to anybody because of something the builder did wrong. There is really nothing a home builder can do wrong to cause any problems besides using "cheap parts"... something even professionals have been guilty of with everything from guns to cars.

Unfortunatly for the Mini14 it will always walk in the shadow of the AR, and the AK for that matter...
History of the Ruger Mini-14 - Shooting Times

Last Edited:
I could have built an AR for the sole purpose of getting sub-MOA groups with little effort beyond getting good parts.
I never said it couldn't be done but the average - uneducated/untrained AR builder - can easily spend twice the price of a Mini just trying to get the right parts.

AND that doesn't take into account the hours of his/her time doing the "Built" but then their time isn't worth anything, anyway unless they're flipping burgers at the Golden Arches since that is likely their "Skill Set" according to you.

I've taught at least a couple dozen people how to Build/Rebuild/Repair ARs while I was on Active Duty because that was my Profession and they have ALL turned out some Very fine Rifles but the basic problem was that every Rifle was still nothing but a .223 Remington/5.56 NATO and they weren't anything more than Varmint Killers.

That's all I have to say.

Holy hopping cripes!
Y'all still on this?
If the military wanted them boys to all be snipers, they wouldn't be handing out them short barreled little things now would they?
This has been better entertainment than a missing number at a bingo hall for old farts!:rolleyes:
:s0013::s0013::s0013:

You know, when I started this thread, it was simply because I came across the video I posted in the OP where the video stated the reasons that the Mini was better than the AR. I really couldn't agree with the video, but I do like both. What I didn't expect are the really intense feelings people have on this issue. You would have thought I asked what was better - 9mm or .45?? :rolleyes:

Really has been an entertaining thread. I don't get the intense hatred/dislike some folks have for particular guns. Heck, I'm just happy when I have guns I like that work well. Crazy stuff.

You know, when I started this thread, it was simply because I came across the video I posted in the OP where the video stated the reasons that the Mini was better than the AR. I really couldn't agree with the video, but I do like both. What I didn't expect are the really intense feelings people have on this issue. You would have thought I asked what was better - 9mm or .45?? :rolleyes:

Really has been an entertaining thread. I don't get the intense hatred/dislike some folks have for particular guns. Heck, I'm just happy when I have guns I like that work well. Crazy stuff.
Maybe try a Mossberg 500 thread next.
Prolly get some of the Mini 14 blunderbuss crew in on that one too.

Crap, I'll never make governor.

:p

I never said it couldn't be done but the average - uneducated/untrained AR builder - can easily spend twice the price of a Mini just trying to get the right parts.

AND that doesn't take into account the hours of his/her time doing the "Built" but then their time isn't worth anything, anyway unless they're flipping burgers at the Golden Arches since that is likely their "Skill Set" according to you.

I've taught at least a couple dozen people how to Build/Rebuild/Repair ARs while I was on Active Duty because that was my Profession and they have ALL turned out some Very fine Rifles but the basic problem was that every Rifle was still nothing but a .223 Remington/5.56 NATO and they weren't anything more than Varmint Killers.

That's all I have to say.
Don't need to spend twice the amount of a Mini to get the right parts. That aside going to comment on the bolded parts.
  1. Hours? Not sure about that. Don't recall it ever taking hours. Even so, the time spent building a rifle the way they want it is not a waste of time. In regards to the comment about flipping burgers, that's a hyperbole.
  2. .223 is more effective than people give it credit for. It isn't just for rabbits and squirrels, it can take game such as deer and wild boar. Another hyperbole.
You do you. I'm not sitting here saying the Mini-14 sucks, just saying that there's more to the AR than you're giving it credit for.
Exactly etrain.
How about swapping it up a smidge?
6.8 vs?
Now there's a real cartridge.
:s0093:
.300 BLK is clearly the superior AR round. :rolleyes:

You wanna talk about unloved.. I used to have an HK SL7 (.308). Fine rig. The SL7 was in 5.56.

213724-1.jpg