JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Flame on!!!

Came across this video while looking for something else. The title is "8 Reasons why the Mini-14 is better than the AR15" Well, I was curious, so I watched it. I don't know that he really made the case, but he had some interesting points.

I happen to like, and own, both. Is one better than the other? I don't know that I can say that, each one has it's benefits, and each has areas where you can rightly argue that one has an advantage. But one better than the other?? Don't know if I'd go that far.

So, for your enjoyment, here it is:

What do you think? Crazy? On target??

Let the rants begin!

Maybe back in the day when the A Team was cool and you couldn't afford an AR you bought a Mini.

Hannibal.jpg

The guy did a good job of that. I noticed he tried to skim past the one huge problem, accuracy. He mentioned they (Ruger) have worked hard to "improve" this and claims they have but saves the test for another time. Back when these were a lot cheaper than AR's I played with them a little. The accuracy was always the big downside. Some did fine, but too many were only able to get AK accuracy. He said now they claim 2MOA. I have yet to see or handle the newer ones so who knows. The cost now is what makes me not even look at one. You can get 2 AR's for the price of one. The damn little rifles keep selling so there has got to be a following.

He is mostly full of crap...

1. Who gives a bubblegum? If someone does you live a commie state.
2. Lighter trigger weight doesn't mean better trigger
3. Granted, that is why there are SBRs, Law-Tactical folders, etc.
4. My mid-length with 15" handguard has a longer sight radius than a Mini-14.
5. Still not buying into the whole DI vs piston argument.
6. No buying into a Mini is more accurate than an AR.
7. CHF longevity is debatable and is available for an AR, DD and BCM both offer them.
8. Stainless. Meh. It's not as "stainless" as people think, I've seen it rust plenty.

Last Edited:
I have always wanted a Mini 14 or 30. However, the cost, price and mag prices keep moving it further down my list. If I was going to pick my one all around EOTWAWKI gun, sorry the AR is a no brainer. That being said I love the looks and feel of the Mini. I hope someday I will own one.

I've always wanted a Mini more than an AR, but ended up with the AR first.
I'm probably more interested in the Mini 30, but it's about the same.

The guy did a good job of that. I noticed he tried to skim past the one huge problem, accuracy. He mentioned they (Ruger) have worked hard to "improve" this and claims they have but saves the test for another time. Back when these were a lot cheaper than AR's I played with them a little. The accuracy was always the big downside. Some did fine, but too many were only able to get AK accuracy. He said now they claim 2MOA. I have yet to see or handle the newer ones so who knows. The cost now is what makes me not even look at one. You can get 2 AR's for the price of one. The damn little rifles keep selling so there has got to be a following.

I bought mine used for well under what they sell for new today. It's a stainless model. As for accuracy, I haven't put it to the hard test yet, but when I got it, the previous owner had installed the 3rd-party 'accurizer' strut. So far, I've been pleased with it, but it could use some better glass. I have to admit, one of the things that draws me to the Mini is the Garand-style action. I've gained a real fondness for the M1 and M1A/M14, so to have another gun that runs off a very similar action, I just happen to like it. The rifle also fits me really well. But if I needed to grab a 'battle' rifle, I'd choose the AR for a few simple reasons - lighter weight, lighter mags and easier to swap mags quickly. But for pure fun, I actually enjoy the Mini at the range more than the AR.

I had a stainless mini 14 back in the early 90s. Decked it out in tacticool but didn't shoot it for years. Finally took it to the range one day and had a hard time putting rounds on a paper plate at 50 yards with a 3-9 scope. Complete garbage. It found a new home. In the same time frame I got my first AR, an Oly Arms CAR-15 with a 12" barrel and a pinned 4" vortex Flash suppressor with a Colt 3x scope... sub-inch groups with PMC ammo at 100 yards. Still own it of course. The only way I'd consider another Mini14 would be if it were the last gun available in the ZA. I'd rather shoot an SKS.

Last Edited:
I've had a couple Mini-14's including one with the Ruger folding stock shown in the video, I no longer own one but have several ARs and AKs because they are better fighting weapons. The Mini-14 is a pale comparison to an M14.