JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
..but I'll start myself..

Below is a photo taken at the second community gun violence forum held in Salem on April 19th. It was in Spanish by the way

The heat zone map represents shootings. The hot zones represent North and Northeast Salem.

That's where all the cops are.

Anyone in the blue zone..feel free to do whatever the hell you want cause there aint no cops coming.

Oh well..I police myself anyhow.
/grumpy rant off

gun_violence.png

Oregon has the same issur, for example; Highway 20 westbound from West Salem to Highway 51 to Independence, everyone going to Independence just camp in the left lane for the whole 10 miles going 55 or keeping pace with the right lane, holding up everyone behind :mad:

Edit,.also I-5, either way, someone just have to go 65 both left lanes and barely passing trucks going 60-64mph, between Wilsonville and Salem. Wilsonville to Portland,(or vice versa) always slows to a crawl regardless of time of day or which day.
OMG! You mean some people actually observe the (LEGAL) speed limit and won't yield to scofflaws? How awful! Any other complants? :s0140:

"Slower traffic keep right".- many such signs are out there on the highways and even Interstates.

When the big rigs are going more than 5 over their speed limits.... :rolleyes:
I could be going 10 over the limit and people will still say I'm going too slow. Even the cops act like I was going too slow with how fast they rush past me once I move back over to the right lane before I catch up to another truck in 2 minutes.

Whatever. But.........KNOW THAT the posted speed limit applies to all lanes traveling in that direction. Yeah, it seems stupid.

And, one cannot be sure, what kind of mood the police officer will/might be in.

Aloha, Mark

I firmly believe certain sections of higheays should abolish speed limits... particularly when there's a traffic circle, signal, or too many lights in a given stretch..

Highway 99W, between Rickreall and Monmouth; 45, 55, 45, 30, but traffic circle being built right in the middle of the 55 zone... less than 3 miles between circle and signal lights either direction... should just remove speed limits then and there.

Mission Street (Highway 22)between Lancaster Drive and Airport, 45-55 but... because of the lights at I-5 intersection, Hawthorne, Turner, 25th, and Airport roads; no one can get up to 55 in that stretch edit, without getting pulled over or running a red light :rolleyes:

Oregon has the same issur, for example; Highway 20 westbound from West Salem to Highway 51 to Independence, everyone going to Independence just camp in the left lane for the whole 10 miles going 55 or keeping pace with the right lane, holding up everyone behind :mad:

Edit,.also I-5, either way, someone just have to go 65 both left lanes and barely passing trucks going 60-64mph, between Wilsonville and Salem. Wilsonville to Portland,(or vice versa) always slows to a crawl regardless of time of day or which day.
And did you ever notice how they're always driving a Subaru or a Prius?

It's so common for us to see some one in a subaru doing something stupid that when we do we look at each other and say "yep a stupid-ru" In fact today I driving 55 in a 55 following someone else doing 55 in a 55. about 3 miles out of town when one of those WRX's came flying up behind me straddling the center line on a 2 lane road. I figured he was checking for a road clear passing spot but nope just kept hugging my bumper half in both lanes until we got in to town. Stupid-ru.

Last Edited:
A bunch of us went on some fancy golf outing a few years ago and all rode together. Unfortunately, the guy driving was potted by the time we headed home. The rest of us had discussed this and sent a representative to try to get his keys, but he wasn't having it. If it weren't a 3 hour drive, I'd have taken a cab. I didn't really like the guy much anyway. He drove docilly enough but headed straight to the #1 lane and just camped out there doing the speed limit. I mentioned to him that staying in the left lane would draw attention and he'd been drinking but he didn't seem to appreciate that. So I sat back and waited for him to get pulled over. Never happened, which was good because we didn't have to hire a car, but not great because feck that guy. :)

A bunch of us went on some fancy golf outing a few years ago and all rode together. Unfortunately, the guy driving was potted by the time we headed home. The rest of us had discussed this and sent a representative to try to get his keys, but he wasn't having it. If it weren't a 3 hour drive, I'd have taken a cab. I didn't really like the guy much anyway. He drove docilly enough but headed straight to the #1 lane and just camped out there doing the speed limit. I mentioned to him that staying in the left lane would draw attention and he'd been drinking but he didn't seem to appreciate that. So I sat back and waited for him to get pulled over. Never happened, which was good because we didn't have to hire a car, but not great because feck that guy. :)
I hope you thwaked him in the pecker for good measure once you made it home.

We get grown a$$ adults that come up to the door and try to pry it open. Staff can leave through the closed doors (exit only) and the clueless idiots see them leave, they walk past the sign (they look right at the signs) and barge in like cattle. They then look at me like I'm making life harder for them.
It's not that they can't read, it's that they think it doesn't apply to them.

Going ten over in the fast lane, same speed as the cars in front of me and some A-hole is up my azz.
Lift kit, howling tires and Bullwinkle mirrors sticking out three feet on each side, never towed a trailer in his life.
No matter how fast you go, there is always someone who wants to go faster. Because they like to be ahead, be first.

And a good number of those arterials have been reduced from two lanes to ONE in each direction.
Gotta make room for the bike lanes.

The problem comes about when you get a "Regulator" in front of you that insists on going the exact NEW speed limit of 25mph There will be no one in front of the regulator for three./four blocks.
"Guardians of the road." But maybe they can smell radar. Thinking about it a bit more, I'm wondering if Portland has the manpower for an officers to sit in cars with radar, just waiting. I seem to recall reading that the Portland PD doesn't have a dedicated traffic division.

One time I had a car get over in front of my motorcycle and I was like wtf, he save me from coming up on a cop car at 80.
Only time I appreciated them.
Over the years, I've saved a few "I gotta be first" drivers from tickets.

The hot zones represent North and Northeast Salem.
I hope Ted's Tool Shed is in no danger.

about 3 miles out of town when one of those WRX's came flying up behind me
It's just my observation and not based on any statistical basis, but WRX model seems to be the hot rodded little bugger. The Forester and Outback tend to be the Tree Hugger models.

Guardians of the road." But maybe they can smell radar. Thinking about it a bit more, I'm wondering if Portland has the manpower for an officers to sit in cars with radar, just waiting. I seem to recall reading that the Portland PD doesn't have a dedicated traffic division.
The traffic division is back, but still very limited as far as I know. They have spent many thousands of dollars, all over town, on little solar powered speed detecting signs that hang high on poles with the speed limit, and a light sign that tells you your speed. IF, you are exceeding the limit it flashes. If, you exceeding the speed limit by over 5mph it flashes "SLOW DOWN". There has also been automated cameras that will flash, take picture and then they'll send the ticket in the mail. We're a high tech town here, I'll tell ya' what! I'll mention too, that a large number of the pot-holes that were fixed 2-3 months ago have opened up again. So we got that going for us. o_O

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews