JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really like the Pit for what I can do there, not for the little stuff. The hill is a pain, the lack of shotgun facilities is a big problem, and the requirements to shoot slow are annoying. However, it is one of the only public ranges that allows for a 50yd rifle zero, has a good rim fire range, and has a pretty good handgun range.

For me I only use it for zeroing rifles and pistols. In my opinion it is useless for much else. But for zeroing it is safe and very well-equipped.

I have used a shotgun there. Next to the rim fire shack.

Do they do slugs only? I'm assuming from the lack of space that you can't shoot trap or skeet?.

Although they do have a club over in orchards that is strictly clays.

True, we did not shot Trap or skeet. We were figuring out a new semi-auto shotgun and the gas system. I don't recall if we shot slugs or if they asked. We did shoot a variety of bird/buck shot and velocities to find out what worked.

You are not allowed to use slugs EVER. And what use is a 50yd shotgun bay without slugs? Just because they have a place to bang away at a shotgun doesn't mean they have a useful place for shotgun. I don't go to a range to turn money into noise.

This is what I posted some time ago in "the English pit sucks" thread.

"I was there exactly once a few years ago. Handgun "lanes".. and that was weird/cool.. some people with their hunk a lumber target holder at three yards and some with them out to furthest.
My issue was that the fellows to my left left/bequeathed me their fallen brass (like 2-300 pieces), in simple language. I was thankful of course and was in the process of gathering it when a gal came down and insisted that that was the range's brass.
I told her no that it was indeed mine as it was given to me. She pretty much pushed the issue but I wouldn't back down and kept the brass of course. It kinda pretty much bothered me and I've not gone back.".

I've only been there that one time still.

before I joined TCGC, that's where I went. Was ok. Better than shooting in the woods with bunch of yahoos

<King of the Yahoos> So I'd rather be in the woods personally. I just always keep a loaded gun on me as well as what I'm shooting and I eyeball all drivers that go by.

Never had a problem in the 22 years I've shot up around larch and north of there. But others milage may vary.

Speaking of which, I gather that Washington recently passed a law making it illegal to shoot Bigfoot.. so the moral of that story, I guess, is to always bring a shovel.

I was there this past weekend. I've never seen unsafe practices while there, but since it's a somewhat unsupervised range I can see where it could happen. The staff have always been friendly, and once even took the time to help me sight in by spotting me. It is what it is. If you like more "structure" there are other ranges with more rules and hand-holding.

The lack of RSO supervision is an inexcusable safety issue. The pistol range tends to draw some very reckless shooters. I have seen several shooters flagging the shooting line while racking their semi-autos. Lots of crowds of new shooters that like to turn around to their buds to celebrate their first shot whilst flagging the whole crowd at the pistol range. I even once had a guy walk into the pistol shed while we were cold and rack a round into his gun while I was out tending my target.

The good [from my dozen or so trips since I moved here in late 2007]
  • Outdoor
  • Well shielded from the wind
  • pistol, rimfire, 50 yard centerfire and 100 yard centerfire
  • $18-$20 for your entire time, no "by the hour" fee
  • Helpful RSOs when I have been there
The bad
  • Reckless people have been there, but I've never had problems
  • According to their website they still don't allow Short Barrel Rifles. They've been "considering the risks" for almost 3 years now, with no closure. That is irritating as my other closest option is at Safefire in Camas. That's $20/hr and only 25 yards
  • Cold air sinks, so it can be very cold at times, but at least it is shielded from the wind
  • The hill down/up, if you are out of shape ;-)

Shot there in the past but quite honestly since joining both an outdoor and an indoor range I would only go back there to use their LabRadar chronograph.

Even though they are close to where I live the combination of facilities + supervision (sometimes) + shooters I would run into does not make it a great place for me...your mileage may vary.:confused:

At almost $19 a day, you can go north or south a bit and join a nice range if you go on a simi frequent basis and save a ton of money - even including drive time and gas.

If your an occasional shooter then I can see the appeal.

At almost $19 a day, you can go north or south a bit and join a nice range if you go on a simi frequent basis and save a ton of money - even including drive time and gas.

If your an occasional shooter then I can see the appeal.
Any ranges you'd suggest checking out? I'm somewhat new to the area.

There are a few up in the Longview area, and down south in West and SE Portland.

Depending on which side of Vancouver your in, you could be to one in less then 45 min.

Just do a few google searches for shooting ranges and you'll find a few.

I thought we had a sub forum for them but I only found outdoor areas.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top