JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1-dogtags.jpg

That very question has been debated since we first sent advisors over there.

I wonder what the US Marines thought of VietNam*when they helped the French back in 1845.

Yep in 1845 the USS Constitution pulled into Da Nang. US Marines stayed for four days assisting the French , it was our first involvement in VietNam.

I would never question a veteran about why he was there ... But I might question our policies and aims for that country.
That being said I have the upmost respect for those who served over there.

A very interesting read on the "whys? , Hows , Aims and Goals "of our involvement in VietNam can be found in :
DA Pam No. 550-55
Area Handbook for South Vietnam
Published April 1967

* I know it was known as IndoChina to the French then. However...
In 1802 Emperor Gia Long restored the name Vietnam to the whole country.
But the history of VietNam might belong in a different thread ... :)
Andy

Last Edited:
I will always support the service members but I will not always support our countries political choices. In a different life time I served and will always remember. If I was much younger I would serve again. They would not want me now.

A very interesting read on the "whys? , Hows , Aims and Goals "of our involvement in VietNam can be found in :
DA Pam No. 550-55
Area Handbook for South Vietnam
Published April 1967

... :)
Andy

I recommend reading Bernard Fall's classic Street Without Joy. As Colin Powell stated best in his autobiography, "I recently reread Bernard Fall's book on Vietnam, Street Without Joy. Fall makes painfully clear that we had almost no understanding of what we had gotten ourselves into. I cannot help thinking that if President Kennedy or President Johnson had spent a quiet weekend at Camp David reading that perceptive book, they would have returned to the White House Monday morning and immediately started to figure out a way to extricate ourselves from the quicksand of Vietnam."

I've read that as well as his book Hell in a very small place.
( About the battle of Dien Bien Phu )
Both are great reads.

With all due respect to Gen. Powell and what he said well...
We also need to remember that it was a different era and mindset in the mid 50's and early 60's.
I not sure anyone could say what would Presidents Kennedy or Johnson would have done if they read this book or thought along different lines...
For all we know they might have read this book.
Fall's writing was very popular at that time.

What I found interesting in the book I mentioned was that the author pointed out some flaws in US polices.
( Along with what was working out good for both the US and South VietNam. )
This was a US government publication remember from 1967 no less.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews